Search the Archives

Pineapple Guava losing leaves

Pineapple Guava losing leaves

This smallish tree was planted last fall and has been doing fine, flowering now. But some of the leaves are falling off for the last week, about a hundred on the ground now. Fallen don't look different than those that haven't fallen. Just startied warming up though - been in the upper 80s to 90s, probably 100 next few days. Too hot for it?

The following thread was started by Fred on May 16, 2009 at 4:18 pm PST

Mine is doing a little of that

Mine is doing a little of that, most of my evergreen type trees do a leaf drop in the spring when they bloom and start to flush with new growth.

David

The above followup was added by David Johnson, Waterford CA, zone 14 on May 16, 2009 at 6:16 pm PST.

Mine drop leaves

when it's windy. Doesn't seem to affect them too much.
John S
PDX OR

The above followup was added by John S on May 16, 2009 at 9:31 pm PST.

Last years leaves should fall

Leaves from last Fall have fallen from my Guava tree but none of this years growth have fallen. If you are talking about falling leaves that came out this spring, then you may have some problem. Likely a water problem, either too much or too little.

The above followup was added by don on May 17, 2009 at 9:53 am PST.

Mine oddly evergreen

I have two that have been growing under an oak tree for 20 years. They bloom and never fruit, nor lose their leaves. Clearly this is the wrong location for them. Since I don't like the fruit, I just keep them around as ornamentals.

The above followup was added by Merbert on May 17, 2009 at 3:38 pm PST.

Never seen a leaf drop on my pineapple guavas

They are evergreen, I mean completely evergreen, no molting, just normal evergreen.

In colder Winter areas, they will molt as a result of repeated exposures below 32F.

The above followup was added by Axel on May 17, 2009 at 8:27 pm PST.

no leaf drop and no fruit

I have three bushes that never drop leaves. They just keep growing new leaves, but I never get any fruit though. I have tons of flowers, but they just wilt a little and drop off the bush a few days after bloom.

Is this related to soil moisture?

The above followup was added by Sam soCal on May 17, 2009 at 9:12 pm PST.

No pollinators

Sounds like a lack of pollination.

The above followup was added by Axel on May 17, 2009 at 10:03 pm PST.

Some varieties need pollinators

As Axel said, you may need a pollinator,

I grabbed this from the CRFG Site, you can read more about them if you wish:

http://www.crfg.org/pubs/ff/feijoa.html
:

Flowers: The 1 inch showy, bisexual flowers, borne singly or in a cluster, have long, bright red stamens topped with large grains of yellow pollen. Flowers appear late, from May through June. Each flower contains four to six fleshy flower petals that are white tinged with purple on the inside. These petals are mildly sweet and edible and can make a refreshing addition to spring salads. Birds eating the petals pollinate the flower.

It has been said that feijoa pollen is transferred by birds that are attracted to and eat the flowers, but bees are the chief pollinators. Most flowers pollinated with compatible pollen show 60 to 90% fruit set. Hand pollination is nearly 100% effective. Two or more bushes should be planted together for cross-pollination unless the cultivar is known to be self-compatible. Poor bearing is usually the result of inadequate pollination.

A search also ran into this 2005 Cloudforest Cafe thread on Pineapple Guava problems.

http://www.cloudforest.com/cafe/forum/23666.html

And again in 2007:

http://www.cloudforest.com/cafe/forum/45450.html

I like Fruits of Warm Climates too, it often goes into greater detail and often lists variates not listed on the CRFG site.

http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/morton/feijoa.html#Pollination

Looking at the list, I guess after the fact, I have a Roberts, which I got from One Green World Nursery a few years ago. I got it because it was rated for good fruit, self pollinating and dwarfish.

I hope there is more then one Roberts variety, because the report from Fruit of Warm climates does not make it sound too desirable, here it is:

'Robert' has oval fruits with grainy flesh, and undesirable brownish leaves.

Though I have never noticed or seen any brownish leaves on my tree, so hopefully maybe it is not, but then what is it. Then if that is the case, is it self pollinating. It bloomed last year for the first time, this year massive bloom display on a now 6 foot tall plant.

I just took a look at flowers pics, most are pink or darker, I wonder if they were referring to the leaf like flower peddles, they are brown maroon in color.

Oh yuck, disappointments to the highest degree???

Why would a nursery sell such a plant rate this, I thought One Green World was better then this, and not so much like La Verne Nursery. But , then maybe that is why they dropped it from their list. Maybe it is just the old game, they sell what every they can get from the whole sale growers at the price they want, if they can't get what they originally ordered..

David

The above followup was added by David Johnson, Waterford CA, zone 14 on May 18, 2009 at 9:22 am PST.

Thanks

I'll try pollination then.

I have two coolidge and a nazemetz. I'll see if cross pollination works.

Thanks again!

The above followup was added by Sam soCal on May 18, 2009 at 9:39 am PST.

Please note that you are viewing posts from the vintage Cloudforest forum. These are un-moderated posts made by un-registered users. Every effort has been made to clean up the old archives, but we cannot guarantee the contents. If you find an offensive post, please bring it to our attention and we will remove it.

It is not possible to post to the old archives. If you wish to follow up on one of the posts in the archives, please make a reference of the post URL and start a new topic in the Fruits, Rare Fruits and Exotics forum.

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:55 pm. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login