Search the Archives

Grafting tape

Grafting tape

As a test and for practice I did some grafts a few weeks ago. I was waiting for my grafting tape to come in the mail and I was getting impatient. So, Took a couple of cuttings off a Cherimoya and randomly grafted them onto other Cherimoya. Well, I did not have the grafting tape so I used different tapes I had on hand. Keep in mind I only did one graft of each.
Vinyl electrical tape....failed. It was difficult to use.
Masking tape, sealed with candle wax.....failed very difficult to use.
Waxed string, sealed with candle wax....very easy and I thought this one would take but alas, failure, In a pinch I will try this again.
Lastly
Teflon plumbers tape. and sealed only the end with candle wax....success! The problem I had was getting the tape started. The tape is so slippery that you have to tie a real knot or the slightest tug pulls the tape away.
Anyway, just for fun, simple splice grafts. Just tried my first veneer graft a week ago. Real grafting tape (Not paraflilm, but I want to start using that) and real grafting wax. It's not dried out.

The following thread was started by George on June 26, 2009 at 6:49 pm PST

tape

mostly all i use is the 1/2 inch green tie tape for my grafts i do have some parafilm tape for bud grafting but rarely bud anything. no mater its all in what works for you

The above followup was added by mikeyinfla on June 27, 2009 at 8:17 am PST.

I have used many types

I have used masking tape many, many times successfully. Black electrical tape is also quite commonly successful. Lately I have been using rubber bands. They are not specifically for grafting, so they're much cheaper, but these ones are wide and long enough. They hold pressure on the graft, they break with sunshine after awhile, and they can be used in the rain. I cover it with grafting compound.
John S
PDX OR

The above followup was added by John S on June 27, 2009 at 6:04 pm PST.

I use

I use Buddy Tape, and Para film, then wrap the union with 1/2 wide green poly tape to insure maximum surface contact.

At one time I only used the green soft 1/2 inch wide poly tape only with great success on some things, then coated with yellow grafting latex.

David

The above followup was added by David Johnson, Waterford CA, zone 14 on June 27, 2009 at 6:41 pm PST.

Grafting tape is a waste of money

IMHO, I would not spend the extra money on grafting tape. I use $3 rolls of semi-transparent gray tree tie tape, you can get it at any nursery. I use the gray stuff because the green colored one seems not as strong nor as elastic. But the green stuff works too.

So far, I've had 95% success on all my grafts.

The above followup was added by Axel on July 01, 2009 at 9:50 pm PST.

Tapetool

This is one of the very best labor saving devices on the market today. It is used in tying and/or staking seedlings, new leaders, vegetables, fruit vines or anything you now tie by hand.
  Herewith pls find our competitive offer:
Tapener hand tying machine price: $20--30$/pcs Quantity>1000pcs
N.W/PC (kg)0.508
N.W/CTN (kg)10.16
G.W/Ctn (kg)13.35
PC/Ctn 20
Box size(mm)368*135*350
Ctn Size (mm)380*285*375
Colorgreen/yellow
Quantity/20' Container (PCS)10,500
Quantity/40'Container (PCS)21,700
Quantity/40HQ (PCS)30,380
Unit Price (FOB USD ) abrove 1000pcs $20 --$30
Materialsteel

If the product we offered above is some different from what you require actually,kindly inform us in detail,we will be pleased to re-offer
  you as per your actual requirements asap.
We also offer all parts of Tapener.
  We will sent to you upon your request,and a small sample could also be sent to you for your final checking if
  the price is finally acceptable.
  Pls kindly check and reply at your earlist.

Best regards!

Jennifer Chen
Business Manager
Email: jennifer.racing@gmail.com
SHANGHAI FOREIGN TRADE ENTERPRISES CO.,LTD
NO.258-268 ZHAOJIABANG RD.SHANGHAI CHINA
Telephone:86 21 58509094 Mobile phone: 86 13764111298

The above followup was added by Jennifer on December 06, 2009 at 8:43 am PST.

Tape

Whole sale Tape: $0.95/pcs

Introduction Item Tape
Product picture
Material PVC
Thickness(mm) 0.1
Length(metre) 30(Max.40metres)
color can choose
PC/CTN 500
Ctn Size(mm) 390*310*300

The above followup was added by Jennifer on December 06, 2009 at 8:47 am PST.

Please note that you are viewing posts from the vintage Cloudforest forum. These are un-moderated posts made by un-registered users. Every effort has been made to clean up the old archives, but we cannot guarantee the contents. If you find an offensive post, please bring it to our attention and we will remove it.

It is not possible to post to the old archives. If you wish to follow up on one of the posts in the archives, please make a reference of the post URL and start a new topic in the Fruits, Rare Fruits and Exotics forum.

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:12 pm. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login