Search the Archives

Oro Negro Avocado

Oro Negro Avocado

Has anyone hear of or grown the "Oro Negro" Avocado?

See the link below:
http://www.tropicalfruitnursery.com/avocado-viewer/pages/oro-negro.htm

I am always intrested in West Indian x Mexican hybrids, as they have the best chance at surviving my salty water and cool winters.

The west indian material is truly salt tolerant.
I grafted some "Lula" onto my seedling mexican tree in the back yard. The entire seedling is salt burnt, and the Lula bud graft from this spring is now huge and taking over with no signs of salt stress. It even continued to put on new growth during the hotest part of sumer when the mexican varieteis shut down.

I think these hhbrids Oro Negro, Brogdon, etc... probably have the best chance at thriving in my salty, hot summer, cold winter climate.

Does anyone have experience with these varieties?

Thanks,

Jeff

The following thread was started by Jeff (Woodland) on August 24, 2009 at 7:48 pm PST

Mexican X Guatamalan

Jeff, the salt resistance is interesting, if you can find one that takes the West Indian salt resistance and combines it with the hardiness of a Mexican avo, you're in business.

For me, the cool climate dictates using guatamalan, but I still need the hardiness of the Mexican avo, so the standard California crosses are the best for our climates.

I've never heard of Oro Negro. Let us know how it fares for you.

The above followup was added by Axel on August 25, 2009 at 0:58 am PST.

Axel Its a short list

Axel,

There are few WI x Mex hybrids that I can find.
It sounds like Brogdon has the magic combination of cold and salt tolerance, but there are few others that I have heard of.

Brogdon is not readily avaliable in California, so I am getting ready to spend way to much money on having one shipped.
That is unless someone here can provide budwood.

The above followup was added by Jeff (woodland) on August 25, 2009 at 8:03 pm PST.

Jeff, have you looked at other Texas varieties...

Wilma and Opal are the ones I've read about, and here's a link to a 1956 paper about cold hardy/salt tolerant varieties being tried in the Rio Grande Valley:
http://www.avocadosource.com/Journals/RioGrande/Rio%20Grand%20Proc_1956_10_PG_137-139.pdf

I wonder what ever happened with the Castro and Pancho varieties?

The above followup was added by John 9b Topanga, Ca on August 26, 2009 at 2:06 am PST.

Texas Avocados

I am growing Wilma, Opal and Poncho. A nursery grower in Louisiana shared a tip with me on how to neutralize the salt in my irrigation water. I have been broad casting Pelletized Gypsum underneath my avocado trees. The salt burn on the tip of my leaves has went away and the over all vigor of the plants has been increased. Some links with more info.

http://www.mkminerals.com/pdfbags/gypsum_ultra.pdf

http://www.riversendnursery.com/product.asp?product=AB69349D

http://www.urbanharvest.org/advice/fruitgardening/fruitvarieties/avocados.html

Good Luck!
Ed Self
Katy, Texas

The above followup was added by Ed Self Katy, Texas on August 26, 2009 at 11:18 pm PST.

Texas Cados

Thanks Ed and John,

I should look into the Texas varieties they sound like they might work here.

Ed, I also use Gypsum on my Cados, it makes a HUGE difrence with the salt burn and growth.

The above followup was added by Jeff (Woodland) on August 27, 2009 at 6:40 am PST.

Hey Ed

Ed,

The Texas varieties you are growing look promising.

Do you think I could talk you into trading or donating a small amount of Bud wood of Wilma, Opal and Poncho?

I can send you some Ettinger, Bacon, or Stuart wood in return. If you are not intrested in those varieties, I would happily pay for the shipping and your time.

If you are willing, let me know and I will get you My E-mail adress.

Thanks,

Jeff

The above followup was added by Jeff (woodland) on August 27, 2009 at 6:45 am PST.

Texas Avocados

Jeff here is my email address

txrarefruitgrowers@sbcglobal.net

I can send you a few small pieces of wood from each. My trees are not that large.

Thanks,
Ed
Katy, TX

The above followup was added by Ed Self Katy, Texas on August 27, 2009 at 6:30 pm PST.

Avocado Source

Jeff
You can find Brogdon, Wilma, Opel, Poncho, and several other varities at Live Oak Gardens Nursery in New Iberia La. The owner Mike Richard is the good friend who told Ed and I about Gipsum. I have found that Ironite works real good also. Ironite is 1-0-1 fertlizer, lime, gipsum, and minerals, iron,
Mack

The above followup was added by Mack M. Rolls on August 27, 2009 at 8:25 pm PST.

Please note that you are viewing posts from the vintage Cloudforest forum. These are un-moderated posts made by un-registered users. Every effort has been made to clean up the old archives, but we cannot guarantee the contents. If you find an offensive post, please bring it to our attention and we will remove it.

It is not possible to post to the old archives. If you wish to follow up on one of the posts in the archives, please make a reference of the post URL and start a new topic in the Fruits, Rare Fruits and Exotics forum.

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:51 am. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login