Search the Archives

Pomegranate graft?

Pomegranate graft?

Is it possible to graft pomegranates? I have a fairly large tree, about 5 inch diameter trunk at the base pomegranate tree. It produces nice flowers and some fruit, but the fruit has problems. Its quite sour and it splits easily, and the seeds are quite large. I want to graft over this tree with a better variety, something sweet with small seeds. I had some really sweet pomegranates at the farmers market so I want to graft something good like those.

Any recommendations for a good variety? I don't even know what mine is.

The following thread was started by Tony on October 27, 2009 at 3:19 pm PST

Yes

I did some chip budding when donating some time for the USDA repository in Davis but that was a special project. Cleft grafting has been used by some people and I witnessed very good results for Edgar Valdivia in Simi Valley who had done many multiple grafts.

Where do you live, Tony? The amount of heat you get is an important factor in selecting pomegranate varieties.

The Davis repository is having their tasting in two Saturdays from now but most being tasted this year are going to be hard-seeded varieties which might be better suited for juice than eating.

The above followup was added by HarveyC on October 27, 2009 at 4:55 pm PST.

Edgar's cleft grafting

Hi Tony, I also saw the results of Edgar's cleft grafting on existing pomegranate a couple of month's ago. He grafted onto sucker growth coming from main trunk,Edgar claims this is very vigorous wood to graft too and it is so that would be your best approach with cleft or whip n tongue.

The above followup was added by Scotty in A.G. on October 27, 2009 at 6:16 pm PST.

fremont

Im in fremont. What variety do you think is good for this climate? I want sweet first and soft seed second. Where do you suppose I can get the scion wood for it as well? And the best time to graft would be?

The above followup was added by Tony on October 27, 2009 at 11:57 pm PST.

soft and hard seeded,which are which ?

Soft and hard seeded,which are which and are soft seeded as tasty ?

I grew up with yummy sweet tart wonderful or similar and now have wonderful and its offspring, Granada. Are they classed as hard seeded, if so, I have never eaten a soft seeded pomegranate before.

I see that all of the samples at the Wolfskill tasting event, are said to be all hard seeded varieties, from what I read, and are best for juice and etc. Why only hard seeded fruits now, are the soft seeded fruits ripe at a different time?

If so, what have I been missing for the past 50 plus years?

David

The above followup was added by David Johnson, Waterford CA, zone 14 on October 28, 2009 at 1:58 pm PST.

hard and soft-seeded pomegranates

David, Wonderful would probably be considered by most to be a semi-soft seeded variety. There are some with smaller and softer seeds, including the popular Parfianka. I have one variety grown from seeds, Mollar, which Richard Ashton provided to me and he said its seeds are even less noticeable. There are some hard-seeded ones such as Al-sirin-nar that have very rich and nice flavors but are not very pleasant to eat because of the hard seeds (even worse than prickly pear which some people think are okay with seeds). This does not mean that the hard-seeded ones are the best ones for juice, though I tink Al-sirin-nar is one of the best I've tasted. But, if you rule out hard-seeded ones because of the seeds, you are limiting your options so it is best to give them a try. I have photos of some of the varieties from Turkmenistan at this site of mine put together a couple of years ago and you can maybe see how the seeds in some of the cut fruits are larger. http://www.purelypoms.com/PhotoIndex.htm

The soft and hard-seeded ones can ripen at the same time. I had heard that many of the plants had been cut very heavily to supply material to fill a huge increase in requests for propagation material and I suspect that most of those requests were focused on soft-seeded varieties, so that is probably the reason for the absence of soft-seeded types in the tasting. I'm not positive about that, though.

I'm in a bit of a bind since I have a weeding in Merced at 2pm on the day of the tasting so my trip there is going to have to be a quick one.

I have just a limited number of fruits in my planting this year (have about 125 trees made up of 23 varieties, though 88 trees of the official test plot are made up of 11 varieties), but I can probably provide fruits for some other tasting in a year or two.

The above followup was added by HarveyC on October 29, 2009 at 10:34 pm PST.

Thanks Harvey

Thanks Harvey, what you said made sense, especially about why not soft seeded varieties to taste this year.

I now pomegranates have taken off more lately, though not sure the more rare varieties. But more questions have come into the CRFG the last few years, asking about pomegranates and starting orchards.

I don't have much space, mostly looking for maybe another couple food eating varieties, different in taste then Wonderful, if they exist, to plant in one hole and grow as one tree, like my Granada and Wonderful. I like the sweet tart taste of Wonderful. I find that the Granada's are not really good until they are almost gone, due to age on the tree and cooler nights which brings out the favor and sweetness. But they give me something to eat and enjoy, waiting for the Wonderful.

David

The above followup was added by David Johnson, Waterford CA, zone 14 on October 30, 2009 at 1:22 am PST.

David - past tasting results

David, I started a pomegranate discussion group a couple of years ago. It's not very active, but some of us have included our ratings/thoughts on some varieties we've tried in the past. Check out some of the messages posted in November of the past two years at http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/PomWorldwide/messages (don't need to be a member to join, only to post). You could also graft some other varieties on your existing ones to get a larger selection. I've got 23 varieties and am still planning on adding a few more and will probably end up getting rid of some.

The above followup was added by HarveyC on October 30, 2009 at 7:52 am PST.

Harvey, thank again very much.

Harvey, thank again very much.

David

The above followup was added by David Johnson, Waterford CA, zone 14 on October 30, 2009 at 8:48 am PST.

Almond grafting

Hello , my name is John. Like Tony I've done a lot of searching and I found a lot of articles about grafting almonds but what about what can i graft onto an almond tree. I have about 12 wild almond trees. Can I graft on them nectarines, peaches, apricots and plums ? And if there is other things i can graft onto i would appreciate if you told me :)

The above followup was added by John on April 27, 2010 at 6:29 am PST.

100 years old almond tree

Oh and i forgot i wanted to ask you about my 100 years old almond tree. So i have a 100 years old almond tree , it's wild and I would like to know can i make it flower again and make fruit ? it's very high and it's base is kind of empty in the middle because of worms and stuff . So do i have to cut a lot of it to graft it ? because it will really take along time to get this big another time .

The above followup was added by John on April 27, 2010 at 6:34 am PST.

John, Almonds

John, Almond rooted almond trees or seedlings are very long lived and much more drought hardy compared to peaches. My grandparents had one old field of almonds on almond roots.

What sex is your almond tree ? I guess you realize they are male and female. Males will produce generally on their own, but females won't. Years ago, males were generally large of small hard shelled varieties and females were soft shelled, large and larger.

When we used to renew a older tree, we did not cut it all back at once, we would take out a limb or two, to get new more productive limbs and fruit wood. We actualy practiced that yearly on a small percent of the older trees. A limb here and there on a small percent of the trees, so that over time, all limbs were replaced

Now they plant faster growing trees closer together, which rot faster below the grafts and just replace the entire field totally more often.

I would only cut on limb off, say like 3 feet above the crotch. Then graft of bud new wood, or just let the new growth take off. You will be surprise who fast the limbs will regrow,if the roots are sound.

The may just need some fertilizer or maybe some soil conditioner like Gypsum or boron on to free up lock up minerals if it was a commercial farm at one time, which used a lot of commercial fertilizer.

David

The above followup was added by David Johnson, Waterford CA, zone 14 on April 27, 2010 at 11:25 am PST.

wondering what kind of pomegranate

Hi, I have a strange inquiry. Growing up, there was a pomegranate tree in our backyard. It produced the most amazing fruit. I have never ever had one that compares, maybe part childhood charm, but I am really wanting to find out what kind of pomegranate it is. The fruit is sweeter than any I have ever had. Is they someone who can identify it for me if I sent them some fruit? I would like to get another one for my house, as I live in another town and the tree also seems to be in decline after 35 years that I have known it...
thanks to anyone who can offer help.
Monica

The above followup was added by monica m on August 05, 2010 at 0:15 am PST.

Where

Hi Monica,

Where (what town) is this tree located? I don't recall reading articles on pomegranate varieties that far back but your location might help come up with a guess.

The above followup was added by HarveyC on August 05, 2010 at 10:53 pm PST.

graft it?

If you can get fruit why not take some wood and just graft it onto new stock? That way you will get the exact same pomegranates regardless of what they actually are.

The above followup was added by Brian on August 06, 2010 at 9:49 pm PST.

Brian

I don't understand your point. Pomegranates are usually started from cuttings. I graft to either take advantage of established root system to get faster growth or to grow multiple varieties in one space.

The above followup was added by HarveyC on August 07, 2010 at 9:31 am PST.

Ready to pull out the Parfyanka

I started Parfyanka from wood I got at the crfg scionwood exchange around four years ago. The tree has a twisted, mottled, dry on the perimeter of the leaves and in general, looks very ratty. It is setting fruit and growing well, but it looks as if it has been neglected. I have a green fruited pomegranate from Turkmenistan, that is thriving, I got the wood from a crfg scionwood exchange, the first one that featured wood from the trip to Turkmenistan. Unfortunately, I could not locate a pen or tape to label it, and all I remember was the variety started with a K and the arils were large and bright red. The fruit grown in Costa Mesa, one mile from the ocean, is green with a red blush, very flavorful and sweet, has very hard seeds and sets many fruits. This year is has doubled in size and reaches around fifteen feet high.
I planted the Parfyanka in front of the "K" pomegranate and also planted an Eversweet on the other side. The eversweet is at least seven feet tall and had only one cluster of blossoms, which my husband accidently knocked off while taking out a plant nearby. The Eversweet has leaves that are similar to the Parfyanka, but not so unattractive as the former. My question to the experts is: Should I rip out these soft seeded varieties to plant a couple of other varieties like, Rosamia, Ink, or Ambrosia? Thanks, Kathy Diewald

The above followup was added by kathy diewald on August 26, 2010 at 1:38 am PST.

Kathy re: Parfianka

Kathy, I've got 8 or so Parfyanka and they are nice-looking plants here on my farm south of Sacramento. I wonder if you might have a problem with something like thrips, though I don't know what this wouldn't be a problem with all of your trees. Parfyanka is a very good variety worth keeping, in my opinion.

You don't mention if soil conditions are identical for all of your trees and I wonder if you've got some problem with soil fertility, drainage, etc.

You might try taking a cutting from it this winter and graft it onto your "K" plant to see if it still looks the same. I've used cleft grafts (after seeing Edgar Valdivia's success) with good results.

I've not had Rosamia yet (maybe will get some fruit next year). It's a Chater variety and the one of his I like the best so far is Purple Heart (sold by Dave Wilson as Sharp Velvet).

The only Turkmenistan variety that comes to mind with a K that fits that description is Kazake.

The above followup was added by HarveyC on August 26, 2010 at 9:16 am PST.

Pomegranate graft

I have a 7 years old plant of pomegranate which gives small fruit size , with hard seeds . I am in Kurukshetra in Haryana India .
Please suggest me some good quality pamegranate , which I can graft unto my existing plant ; and location from where to get it .
thanks who helps
regards
Arun

The above followup was added by ARUN SANDHU on October 07, 2010 at 6:24 am PST.

Pomegranate seeds

Arun,

You may have more luck getting pomegranate seeds mailed to you. Due to the limitations and restrictions of shipping live plant material between countries. I would collect seeds from a good pomegranate variety, and sprout them out and wait a few years for fruit. You could then select the best traits of the 1-3 year old trees, and graft onto your existing tree as well.

The above followup was added by Stephen on October 07, 2010 at 3:19 pm PST.

Indian pomegranates

Arun, there is a large pomegranate industry in India so you should have good sources somewhere there. Ganesh was reportedly a favorite at one time with newer plantings of Mridula supposedly being more popular. Contact Dr. Parmar through http://www.fruitipedia.com/ for help in finding a source there.

The above followup was added by Arun on October 08, 2010 at 11:01 pm PST.

Oops, it was me

I am taking narcotics for pain from a very bad fall from a ladder and am not always thinking clearly. The message above entitled Indian pomegranates was posted by me last night at one of those times. Sorry for any confusion I caused.

The above followup was added by HarveyC on October 09, 2010 at 12:18 am PST.

Please note that you are viewing posts from the vintage Cloudforest forum. These are un-moderated posts made by un-registered users. Every effort has been made to clean up the old archives, but we cannot guarantee the contents. If you find an offensive post, please bring it to our attention and we will remove it.

It is not possible to post to the old archives. If you wish to follow up on one of the posts in the archives, please make a reference of the post URL and start a new topic in the Fruits, Rare Fruits and Exotics forum.

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:42 am. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login