Search the Archives

Bailys Marvel Mango Is Cold Hardy

Bailys Marvel Mango Is Cold Hardy

If you search the archives for Bailys Marvel you will see a bit of innacurate information. I would like to correct it here since the archives are locked.

1.) The original Baileys Marvel tree is of epic proportion, being right about 50 ft tall, and it has indeed survived every freeze since the 1950's. It stands alongside around 100 mango trees of the same size in SW Florida on my friends property. Yes, when I saw it last spring the flowering was indeed storybook quality as the poster in the archived thread mentions.

2.) Baileys Marvel is indeed more cold hardy than pretty much any other mango. This has been proven in peoples yards here in Central Florida many times. Do a quick google and you will see that we just received record cold, my property reached 24 and 24.6 degrees on two nights with several additional sub freezing nights. The 6 ft Baileys Marvel standing in an open area of the property with nothing more that Vapor Gard spray is in great shape. Most of the flowers did collapse but no damage to the tree. Valencia Pride did nearly as well, followed by CAC. Other varities took major damage.

I had to put the innacurate information posted years ago to light, so others will not give up on trying to grow what most people say is impossible. Happy growing everyone, and if you don't believe me, come on by this summer and have a Baileys Marvel off my tree in zone 9b.

The following thread was started by Brian on January 13, 2010 at 9:16 am PST

how about you send some ;)

How about you send some mangos our way ;)

Thanks for the tips on !aileys marvel mango tree. If it is hardier I may give it a shot. I have not protected my mangos here in norcal except a few nights of putting under house eaves and so far, so good.

My low was only about 29 degrees thought for a few hours.

The above followup was added by tammy on January 13, 2010 at 10:34 am PST.

Happy to share

Congratulations on trying. Get yourself an anti-transpirant spray and you wil buy another 2+ degrees; remember to spray it on the BOTTOM of the leaves where the stomatic cells are. Treating with Cooper in the fall will kill off any ice nucleizing (sp) bacteria and buy you a few more at times. If all else fails you can run a lights under a plant blanket (carefully). Best of luck.

The above followup was added by Brian on January 13, 2010 at 11:03 am PST.

small diameter twigs survive?

So small diameter twigs survived as well?

The above followup was added by Brian (one in Concord) on January 13, 2010 at 12:30 am PST.

Twigs

Yes indeed, no tissue collapse, no black necrosis, or wrinkling. North side leaves have the slightest tip burn, still great for 24 degrees.

In other news some other trees surprised me including Yellow Poinciana (thick caliber) and Apple Blossom Cassia. Just goes to show, you never know unless you try, and try hard :)

The above followup was added by Brian on January 13, 2010 at 4:39 pm PST.

Congrats

Congrats, Brian. I took would love to try fruit when you have some but even would love a seed.

My Thomson mango is hanging in there (I had 25F but it's in a sheltered area so I don't know how cold it got) and I didn't spray it with anything, but would have had a I remembered to do it.

The above followup was added by HarveyC on January 13, 2010 at 5:44 pm PST.

More real grower info is great!

Thanks for the posting. I think you have just inspired me to try some mangoes in Bakersfield by my pool on the south side.

The above followup was added by Tynan on January 14, 2010 at 1:14 am PST.

thanks for the update

The plus side out of all the cold FL has had to endure we should get some good hardiness info. Congrats on the Baileys and thanks for the update.

-Ethan

The above followup was added by Ethan-Bakersfield 9/9 on January 14, 2010 at 2:49 pm PST.

Bad experience with Bailey's

The tree rarely sets fruit and when it does the fruit crack before maturity.

You will get good canopy coverage which may account for a little more cold tolerance.

Still have the tree after about 8 years and hoping. Consider it a failure though.

It is a mid-season to late variety, not good for California.

Go with an early variety. Thompson, Manilla, and Edwards has worked for me. Glenn would be another one.

The above followup was added by Tom on January 16, 2010 at 4:53 pm PST.

Fruits well

Baileys fruits quite well here in Florida. The cold tolerance is not attributed to the canopy structure, my small ones have almost no canopy and they do well into the 20's.

You might want to try CAC or Valencia Pride for their cold tolerance as well.

The above followup was added by Brian on January 18, 2010 at 5:43 pm PST.

does anyone want to exchange poly seeds

i have fruiting turpentine, manilla and a south china variety (good to 25)....like seeds or wood for nam doc, kensington, valencia pride, keow savoey, and any other asian types that are vigorus...i'm in s. cal.

The above followup was added by ray on January 29, 2010 at 7:31 pm PST.

CAC?

I can't seem to find anything on CAC. Is it a Florida variety? If so, where could I get one?

The above followup was added by Pete on June 26, 2010 at 1:43 pm PST.

South China Variety

Ray, Would you like to elaborate on your South China variety please. I have KP, NamDocMai, Valenca Pride but I am in Australia. I don't think you can import seeds, is that right?

The above followup was added by David on September 21, 2010 at 6:22 pm PST.

Please note that you are viewing posts from the vintage Cloudforest forum. These are un-moderated posts made by un-registered users. Every effort has been made to clean up the old archives, but we cannot guarantee the contents. If you find an offensive post, please bring it to our attention and we will remove it.

It is not possible to post to the old archives. If you wish to follow up on one of the posts in the archives, please make a reference of the post URL and start a new topic in the Fruits, Rare Fruits and Exotics forum.

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:52 pm. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login