Search the Archives

Please help with my persimmon problems.

Please help with my persimmon problems.

I grew up eating persimmons from my aunt's tree in Fallbrook, Ca. When I lived in LA I planted a Fuyu and it took off beautifully, but I had to move when it was only about 2 years old. I now live in San Diego and want to plant one in my front yard. I actually did plant one about 5 years ago, but I transplanted it from the back when the power lines went up. I had to cut the tap root at the time to get it up. It has never taken off like the one in LA. It hasn't grown at all in the last 5 years (it was tiny to begin with) and has not fruited (it flowers and sets tiny fruit but they fall off). Should I just dig it up and start from scratch with a new one? How long should I expect to wait before getting fruit if I plant a new bare root tree? And is Giant Fuyu as good as Fuyu only bigger or does it lose something to gain size? How close to sewer lines can I plant it? Are the roots invasive? The ones my aunt grew all those years ago were so flavorful. I don't know what kind they were. Thanks for any advice on growing persimmons you can give!

The following thread was started by Kristen on January 20, 2010 at 1:15 pm PST

persimmon

Kristen,
Maybe you should get a new one. I have bought a couple of plants from Home Depot, and they grow, bear fruit very well. I live in San Diego too. I love persimmon. Good luck.

The above followup was added by Twan on January 20, 2010 at 4:48 pm PST.

My Home Depot persimmons have never done well

My Home Depot persimmons have never done well, but not sure exactly what.

I planted two, one Fuyu and one astringent in one hole, The started a bit slow it seemed like, but with these being my first persimmon trees, not sure what to expect.

The second or third season, I grafted another, but suggested better variety to each one. The astringent grafts took, then early summer the whole thing died totally.

The Fuyu lived, put on a fair amount of growth, then this fall, in the bad wind storm, lost the entire top of the tree, the wind snapped it off, 6 inches below the lowest graft. Ok learned my lesson, made more aware how brittle and fragile their wood is compared to most other trees. But I have never seen other trees break like his one,. The tree was only 5 feet tall, and the limb that snapped was the central leader, 3/4 inch plus in diameter.

When I look at others who have planted them in this area, they grew much faster, maybe like 3 to 4 times faster.

So I am thinking, what was wrong with the one that totally died a year ago, only 2 to 3 seasons in the ground. Now the good one is not growing very fast.

It makes me wonder what is wrong with the root system; damaged roots, not enough fertile or what.

David

The above followup was added by David Johnson, Waterford CA, zone 14 on January 21, 2010 at 1:26 am PST.

Persimmon Info

Kristen: Salt and clay. Ouch! Heavy irrigation to leach the salt - double ouch! These three are EACH deadly to fruit trees and especially persimmon and avocado. None of them thrive with wet feet.

You may have to start over.

If you don't have a slope to plant a new one on, construct as big a raised bed as you can. At least 18 inches high. The higher the better. At least 3 feet square, 6 feet is better. (Same for your avocado) In the raised bed, fill it with imported plain old top soil - not clay or salty top soil from your yard and don't use planting mixes or soil amendments. They usually have too much nitrogen for persimmons. Be careful choosing a topsoil. The topsoil that Home Depot sells has steer manure in it. You can smell it. Steer manure has way too much nitrogen for persimmon. And it probably has salt in it also because the animals are given salt licks.

Do not use a nitrogen rich fertilizer. Too much nitrogen will cause a persimmon tree to drop all its fruit.

Don't irrigate too much. You can let the top couple of inches of soil dry out before you irrigate again.

Make sure the spot gets six hours of direct sun per day.

Here's a link with more persimmon growing links.
http://www.davewilson.com/homegrown/promotion/persimmon/history.html

Home Depot is iffy on fruit trees. Go to a reputable nursery and get a Dave Wilson grown persimmon tree. You will be putting way too much time, dollars and effort to takes chances.

Tony

The above followup was added by Tony in Burbank on January 22, 2010 at 10:43 pm PST.

Fuyu "jiro" or "Giant Fuyu"

Anybody have experience with Giant Fuyu? I am attracted by what they say will be a deep color of the flesh and good flavor, but I have read they may be more prone to fruit drop and may not be as vigorous. Anybody have experience growing a Giant Fuyu tree?

The above followup was added by Kristen on January 26, 2010 at 12:29 am PST.

My Fuyu is doing better sense the top got broken off

I was going to update this thread, nice that some Spammer brought it to the top for me. Ha ha ha

My Fuyu is doing better sense the top got broken off. Remember that I lost about 1/4 quarter of the 5 foot tall tree in that freaky early winter hurricane like storm with heavy rain and high winds 50 to 100 mph.

Well it has come out and I have one new shoot nearly 6 inches long already, coming out just below the break. I was thinking last year, I wonder if cutting the plant back severely might help to simulate new top and root growth. Will have to watch it and see what happens.

It was so small originally, I did not worry about taking off to much from the top when I planted it, maybe that was a mistake.

Anyone seen this happen with somewhat recently planted slow growing persimmons. Maybe it would kick start Merbert's slow White Sapotes too.

It sort of makes sense, roots are tied to the limbs and vise versa, to kick start new root growth, cut the top.

David

The above followup was added by David Johnson, Waterford CA, zone 14 on May 05, 2010 at 10:01 am PST.

Click here to return to main board

Please note that you are viewing posts from the vintage Cloudforest forum. These are un-moderated posts made by un-registered users. Every effort has been made to clean up the old archives, but we cannot guarantee the contents. If you find an offensive post, please bring it to our attention and we will remove it.

It is not possible to post to the old archives. If you wish to follow up on one of the posts in the archives, please make a reference of the post URL and start a new topic in the Fruits, Rare Fruits and Exotics forum.

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:09 am. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login