Search the Archives

Arrayan - Sartre Guava - Psidium sartorianum

Arrayan - Sartre Guava - Psidium sartorianum

I picked up a new fruit today called "Arrayan" and since there is little mention of it in english on the internet I thought I'd share my observations. I picked it up at my local Mi Pueblo, there was no shelf tag and no price so they sold them to me for $2.99.
Arrayan (Mexican name) is known in english as Sartre Guava and is Psidium sartorianum.
It is a small marble sized guava that is green, turning a dull yellow-orange when ripe.
There appear to be 1-2 large seeds in the fruit similar rather than the multitude found in most other guavas.
They are a different in taste when they first hit your mouth, they are sharp and tangy almost like a pineapple crossed with a strawberry guava. The sharpness fades and the lingering flavor is definitely like a strawberry guava.
I tried one of the unripe still green ones, it was strongly resinous and not yet acidic with a starchy texture, I would definitely not recommend them before they are ripe.
I'm going to try and germinate the seeds and see if they'll survive here, they have attractive peeling bark from the pictures I've seen.

The following thread was started by Jason (z17, Palo Alto) on January 24, 2010 at 9:41 pm PST

Image 1

The above followup was added by Jason (z17, Palo Alto) on January 24, 2010 at 9:42 pm PST.

Image 2

Image 2

The above followup was added by Jason (z17, Palo Alto) on January 24, 2010 at 9:43 pm PST.

Image 3

Image 3

The above followup was added by Jason (z17, Palo Alto) on January 24, 2010 at 9:45 pm PST.

Jason, I tried those once, but the seeds never sprouted I think.

Jason, I tried those once, but the seeds never sprouted I think, or the cold or heat got to them here in the San Joaquin Valley at a juvenile age. But seems like they never sprouted or something.

Thanks for shaking my memory, I I should try them again I guess.

Hopefully this one posts, the first try didn't.

David

The above followup was added by David Johnson, Waterford CA zone 14 on January 25, 2010 at 10:56 am PST.

observation

I was wondering if maybe some of the guava species seeds would germinate better if slightly scratched. It kind of looked like some of the seeds of a few species I looked at would survive a trip through an animals digestive system.

The above followup was added by Brian on January 25, 2010 at 1:24 pm PST.

slightly scratched or digested ?

I don't know about the need for being slightly scratched or digested ?

The guava seeds I have sprouted, I just sock for a day or two, put on a damp paper towel on ziploc, and when ready they spout, usually in 2 to 4 weeks at house temps of 65 to 68F.

But I guess it is likely, that one particular uncommon guava variety could need stratification of some kind, by scratching or etching, stomach acid, or by some heat of cold.

David

The above followup was added by David Johnson, Waterford CA, zone 14 on January 25, 2010 at 3:20 pm PST.

Several trees around here

There are several trees around here and they all produce sour/ tart fruit. I like them alot. Around here people make aguas frescas with them. They are good, almost like lemonade but with a guava flavor. I have blended them with sugar and water fresh off the tree, and it was good. I also used another method of cooking them down with sugar to make a syrup for drinks. Both were good. I tried growing one, but it took several months to germinate, and rotted really easily. I left it outside, unprotected, through the winter, planted in december or january, sprouted in about march. They seem quite a bit more sensitive as young plants, whereas guavas grow around here like weeds, literally. They tend to grow where birds or people drop seeds, in shopping center planters, next to the freeway, etc.
I'm trying to grow some more this year. Good luck with yours.

The above followup was added by William Los Angeles, Z23 on January 26, 2010 at 7:54 pm PST.

Hang on, I will be right there.

Soak the seed for several days before planting in warm soil or in early spring. Keep them chickens away from all seedlings. Do you have 4 spare seeds for me to try? There is a interesting group of guava seedlings here that were almost unbothered by the cold except turning a very pretty red.

The above followup was added by Gregory in Palo Alto on January 27, 2010 at 10:24 pm PST.

Gregory check your email

Gregory, you can have the rest of my fruit (I sent you an email)

The above followup was added by Jason (z17, Palo Alto) on January 28, 2010 at 10:14 am PST.

I wish there I could find them on the east coast

Back where my grandma lives in one of the northwestern mexican states, you can find these trees lining up streets and on backyards, it's been at least a decade since I had some "arrayanes". Do you know if the would ship some from the west coast all the way to North Carolina? If any of you have some information at all please let me know.

Thanks

The above followup was added by Eduardo on July 05, 2010 at 11:05 pm PST.

Thanks for the Arrayan report, Mamey also at Mi Puebla

I will be looking for it at our new 'Mi Puebla' in San Rafael.

They have been selling some pretty good mamey sapotes there for the last month, $3.99/lb, 2-3lbs each

The above followup was added by John Valenzuela on July 06, 2010 at 1:27 am PST.

Arrayan tree

I'm on a mission to find an arrayan tree. Arrayanes are my favorite fruit and I'll be asking around here in So.Cal and try to find one,

If anyone finds a place that sells seeds or trees, please share the information with me.

Arrayan ice cream is one of the best things you can enjoy in the world!!!

Thanks!

Carlos

The above followup was added by Carlos Reneteria on October 05, 2010 at 2:30 am PST.

Mimosa nursery in LA has trees

Mimosa in LA has 5-6 trees in 5 gal containers, marked $35 but I believe they are having a sale 'til Oct. 31. They have some pretty amazing trees there.

-Ethan

The above followup was added by Ethan-Bakersfield 9/9 on October 05, 2010 at 4:40 pm PST.

The ones I had, I did not care for. Thanks Jason, it was way too cool that you delivered.

I had been at the time way too stressed from job complications to remember were I potted the seeds, I am not sure if any sprouted. I know some went into the greenhouse pots.
Does anyone have a picture of their tree? Some quick research http://www.elarrayan.com.mx/arrayan_tree.php

It does not seem that I have this one.

The above followup was added by Gregory in Palo Alto on October 06, 2010 at 0:49 am PST.

horrible photo

Sorry Gregory,
not the best photo, I'll try again this weekend.

It is in a 5gal container, including the pot it is close to 4', I think it was marked $35.

-Ethan

The above followup was added by Ethan-Bakersfield 9/9 on October 07, 2010 at 1:46 pm PST.

Thank for the info

Thanks Ethan, I'm going over to Mimosa nursery tomorrow.
Thanks again!

Carlos

The above followup was added by Carlos Renteria on October 10, 2010 at 11:40 pm PST.

Can anyone send me some seeds please!

I have been searching for this tree for a long time. I would like to grow it here in Florida. I will pay you for any seeds or fruit you can send to me

THanks

The above followup was added by Cris on October 12, 2010 at 11:55 am PST.

I got two of them!!!

Ethan, thanks again for the information!

On Monday (10/11) I drove down to Mimosa nursery in LA and got me 2 trees. They were originally $35, but since I bought 2, I paid $24 for each, what a deal.

One even had fruit. I'm sure after a year or two I will be enjoying some home grown arrayanes.

They had a couple more trees left.

Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction.

Carlos

The above followup was added by Carlos Renteria on October 13, 2010 at 11:58 pm PST.

congrats

Congrats on the trees Carlos,
if they are anything like mine, they are very healthy and at a great price.

good luck,
-Ethan

The above followup was added by Ethan-Bakersfield 9/9 on October 14, 2010 at 1:15 pm PST.

Please note that you are viewing posts from the vintage Cloudforest forum. These are un-moderated posts made by un-registered users. Every effort has been made to clean up the old archives, but we cannot guarantee the contents. If you find an offensive post, please bring it to our attention and we will remove it.

It is not possible to post to the old archives. If you wish to follow up on one of the posts in the archives, please make a reference of the post URL and start a new topic in the Fruits, Rare Fruits and Exotics forum.

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:07 pm. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login