Search the Archives

Sour Minneola's

Sour Minneola's

I just picked all of the minneola tangelos on my 6' dwarf growing in a whiskey barrel. I have had this for about 3 years. The fruit is big and a beautiful orange; however, it is the sourest citrus I have ever tasted. Does anybody know why and how I can treat next years crop?
Thank you,

The following thread was started by Don G on February 05, 2010 at 9:08 am PST

Seems like it maybe too early

Seems like it maybe too early. I remember Kern in Newman telling me, something like he waits until early summer or ?

I looked online, it says ripe April to June.

I also find that citrus with limited root systems, do tend to not be as sweet and flavorful as mature in ground trees.

David

The above followup was added by David Johnson, Waterford CA, zone 14 on February 05, 2010 at 9:26 am PST.

Citrus color

Citrus color is not a good indicator of ripeness. The color of the rind is a function of temperature, the Winter cold colors up the rind to range. In tropical climates, the rind stays green.

As David pointed out, minneoltas are ripe after April, mine are very sour right now as well.

The above followup was added by Axel on February 05, 2010 at 1:01 pm PST.

I made the same mistake, orange does not mean ripeness.

I made the same mistake, orange does not mean ripeness.. I planted a new Mandarin last spring, a Fortune, which is supposed to be a very late ripening mandarin, like June/ July.

Well it turned orange along with all of the other citrus this late summer and fall. So I was thinking it must of been mislabeled. But realized that it was still fairly small, and hard, and so maybe it is what what it is supposed to be.

I was thinking it was a Pixie, because it was small and had a nipple at the stem end, like my Pixies do, But when I checked out Pixie's online, realized NO ! So then I realized my Pixies were ripening up small and not fully developed, because the grafted limb is still so small.

Now I can't wait for that limb to size up and produce full size Pixies, and flavor.

I always find it interesting how sometime our notions are not correct and it takes a problem to bring in the light, hurray or home education.

David

The above followup was added by David Johnson, Waterford CA, zone 14 on February 05, 2010 at 2:00 pm PST.

minneola tangelo

minneola tangelos need allot of time and or heat to sweeten up.
They are great in Phoenix and Yuma Az.

Here in the Sacramento area, they take a long time to sweeten up.

The above followup was added by Jef (Woodland) on February 06, 2010 at 8:15 am PST.

Please note that you are viewing posts from the vintage Cloudforest forum. These are un-moderated posts made by un-registered users. Every effort has been made to clean up the old archives, but we cannot guarantee the contents. If you find an offensive post, please bring it to our attention and we will remove it.

It is not possible to post to the old archives. If you wish to follow up on one of the posts in the archives, please make a reference of the post URL and start a new topic in the Fruits, Rare Fruits and Exotics forum.

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:15 am. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login