Search the Archives

How to kill a palm tree w/o cutting it?

How to kill a palm tree w/o cutting it?

I want to kill a palm tree without chopping it down. What are the most effective chemical concoctions?

The following thread was started by JustMe on February 09, 2010 at 1:45 pm PST

Is it your palm to kill?

Why would you want a standing dead palm on your property...or is it on your neighbor's?

The above followup was added by Steve in Brookings on February 09, 2010 at 2:34 pm PST.

The roots are in my property ...

so that part is mine!

The above followup was added by JustMe on February 09, 2010 at 3:09 pm PST.

Go somewhere else to ask

This is the wrong place to ask this sort of question. This forum is for plant people, not angry neighbors that want to poison someone else's tree.

The above followup was added by Axel on February 09, 2010 at 3:15 pm PST.

:P

And don't complain when you get something nasty in your water

The above followup was added by Jason on February 09, 2010 at 4:14 pm PST.

Or

Your dogs food, This kind of anger never ends well

The above followup was added by Jason on February 09, 2010 at 4:14 pm PST.

OOPS

There are legal issues if you harm a neighbor's tree, even if part of it is on your property. You might get bit.

The above followup was added by pitangadiego on February 09, 2010 at 9:55 pm PST.

The law generally is ?

Most city and county laws permit one to cut off branches to the fence property line, which can make for some nasty or ugly looking trees.

I assume your main issue is, prevailing winds are dropping dead palm fronds into your yard, or seeds. I can't think of anything else that would tick someone off.

I know that if they were not harming anything in my yard, would simply toss them back over the fence, but in reality would cut them into pieces, to add mulch to my yard, that is what i do with my own palms.

I try and plant things so it does not drop onto my neighbors, and if you moved into your place, and the palm was already there, you knew what you had, so no real reason to complain.

I do have a dirt church parking lot along one boundary of my lot, and they don't water their old huge large Modesto Ash trees. So I am forced to cut their massive uplifting water stealing roots when I find them of any size on my property. When I first moved here, I found roots 6 to 8 inches in diameter running across my entire 75 foot wide yard, looking for water. These Modesto ash are always full of mistletoe, with old rotted limbs. But I do enjoy the shade that they provide in the late afternoon and the free leaf mulch.

David

The above followup was added by David Johnson, Waterford CA, zone 14 on February 10, 2010 at 8:04 am PST.

The plant police is in full force ...

here.

The above followup was added by JustMe on February 11, 2010 at 7:03 am PST.

Maybe the problem is you

Go to an animal care site and ask about slaughtering puppies. See if they want to help you. I don't.
John S
PDX OR

The above followup was added by John S on February 11, 2010 at 9:48 pm PST.

Has anybody here ever cut a ...

tree down? I hear about Axel taking the ax after a lot of his fruit trees that are not productive.

The above followup was added by JustMe on February 12, 2010 at 9:17 am PST.

Cut some down, gave some away

I have cut some down and shoved some over and given some away.

English walnuts with black walnut roots, were affecting plants negatively in my yard, even killing some.

Dug up and gave Axel some of my experimental Cherimoyas, not taking the low temps here.

Shoved over some dwarf apple trees, large fruit not flavor, were supposed to of been semi dwarf, not dwarf dwarf.

Cut out a old rotting peach tree, saved it to another one by grafting, Cut down some pears here when I got the place, and recently some I planted, too plagued by fire blight.

If it does not taste good or is a nuisance, I take it out happily, am only saddened when nature does it for something I love.

One man's weed can be another's treasure and vise versa.

David

The above followup was added by David Johnson, Waterford CA, zone 14 on February 12, 2010 at 9:41 am PST.

The tree zealots want to dictate ...

whether one can cut a tree or not.

The above followup was added by JustMe on February 12, 2010 at 10:38 am PST.

Contribute some insight about fruit, ask a fruit question, or don't post here

Don't waste our time with questions about poisoning your neighbor's palm tree. This is illegal and immoral, and not welcome here. Cut down all your own trees if you want. That is your business.

Our business here is sharing our passion for fruit.
You are welcome to join us to do that.

The above followup was added by John Valenzuela on February 12, 2010 at 1:03 pm PST.

Give it a rest.....dude,

and have a nice weekend.

The above followup was added by Peter in Corralitos on February 12, 2010 at 1:05 pm PST.

Euh?

I don't take the ax to trees that don't produce, I usually top work them to different varieties, or I give them away to someone else, it would be a shame to loose a well established rootstock. All of my capulin cherries that I removed found a new home.

But that's besides the point. No one is arguing that you can't cut down a tree. The moral issue enters the picture when it's your neighbor's tree. Personally, I can understand when a neighbor's tree is a nuisance, I deal with a few of them. But I've had good luck with neighbors, talking is the best option.

If the roots are in your yard, then I'd suggest removing the roots that are causing you problems.

The above followup was added by Axel on February 13, 2010 at 7:03 pm PST.

trees block sun from pool

backyard neighbor has (i think junipers?) about 50 trees along fence line about 60 ft. tall and my pool and part of my yard does not get sun. and the falling needles clog up pool and cover plants in planter box. what can i do? cant even lay by the pool or float in it and tan. any ideas

The above followup was added by lolita walden on April 06, 2010 at 10:00 am PST.

No sun in pool

try plopping a pine cone where the sun don't shine. Instead of working on your tan, go work for Star Nursery.This is a site for plant purists who enjoy swimming with nature.

The above followup was added by Marigold Juniper Lover on June 05, 2010 at 11:17 pm PST.

Lolita,who was there first ?

Lolita, I am curious, who was there first, or which was first, the juniper trees or your pool ?

If your pool was there first, then you should have some rights or some consideration due. If you bought the place and the trees were already like that, then you don't have anything to complain about.

I don't like housing associations with covenants and rules, but maybe they are violating them, and you have some regress.

Maybe the owner does not even like them anymore, talk, maybe he is only looking for an excuse to take them out or lower them down.

I personally have mixed feelings on tall trees next to me. I adjoin a old dirt Church dirt parking lot with large old partly rotten Modesto Ash trees. And they have large invasive roots all over a major part of my lots.I often have to sever and cut them off ,to plant something or to protect something in my yard.

I don't like them, too much shade, but yet like the shade, keeps me and my home cooler in summer. But they are only like 3 feet or more tall.

David

The above followup was added by David Johnson, Waterford CA, zone 14 on June 06, 2010 at 0:17 am PST.

Be Careful

Thoroughly understand (or consult with an attorney regarding) tree law before you take any action. I believe you'll find that you can "control" roots on your property up to the point where it impacts the tree. Killing the tree can carry damages at 3X the value of the tree. Oh, and consider if the tree dies (or blows over due to root ball damage), where will it fall? What damage will be caused? If it does so other than by natural causes (or "acts of God"), responsible parties may be liable for those damages OR INJURIES as well.

Offer to pay for the removal (not have it removed) and maybe offer to purchase a replacement tree variety that suits both of you. Otherwise, live with it.

The above followup was added by Stewart on June 06, 2010 at 9:30 pm PST.

What does this have to do with fruit growing?

Take this discussion somewhere else. This is not a "sunny pool enthusiasts" discussion forum.

The above followup was added by John Valenzuela on June 07, 2010 at 9:22 am PST.

need to kill chinese palms/many

bought 2 & 1/2 acres, many, many palms. We are moving toward a speciality nursery. I need the space to plant what we sell. When I cut all the frond, it just makes more. These are very big and too difficult for a 50 year old to dig out. No one here wants to take them for free, as we have advertised and had no takers. Open for suggestions. one directive said to cut fronds consistently and wait 5 years for the plant to give up. This is too long a wait.

The above followup was added by singh on June 24, 2010 at 11:34 am PST.

Roundup?

Maybe you can use a paint brush and paint some roundup on the fronds? That should do the job of killing them. But, you still have to cut out the trunk as close to the ground as possible if you do not want to dig them out.

The above followup was added by ashleysjc on June 24, 2010 at 1:31 pm PST.

HERE'S HOW TO DO IT

First try pouring 3 or 4 gallons of vinigar around the base of the tree. If the tree is not dead in two weeks then dissolve a bag of the salt you use for your driveway into a 5 gallon bucket and pour around the base of the tree each day for a week. Good luck and sorry about all the busy bodies here who didn't want to help you.

Also, since the tree is on your neighbors property I would do this late at night so no one knows it was you.

The above followup was added by chubasco on August 01, 2010 at 1:32 pm PST.

Roundup works, does vinegar work ?

Roundup works, does vinegar work ? What does the vinegar do ?

Anyway, drill 1 / or etc size holes with a drill, a couple inches deep around the edge of the hardwood, between the bark, in the cambium area. Fill holes with straight Roundup, kills them dead. Sometimes filling holes a couple times is needed on very hard to kill aggressive trees.

I have killed way half trees almost, from just Roundup'ing one large root with this method. But the tree eventually comes back eventually, if you don't repeat, but it sure kills the root.

David

The above followup was added by David Johnson, Waterford CA zone 14 on August 01, 2010 at 11:01 pm PST.

kill a palm tree

Drill some 4 to 5 inches in a down angle of about 20 degrees and fill the hole with 50% roundup and 50% water then watch the tree turning blond within a fortnight.Do it when the sap is flowing up about 2 days to 12 days after the new moon.

The above followup was added by John on November 21, 2010 at 10:50 pm PST.

Please note that you are viewing posts from the vintage Cloudforest forum. These are un-moderated posts made by un-registered users. Every effort has been made to clean up the old archives, but we cannot guarantee the contents. If you find an offensive post, please bring it to our attention and we will remove it.

It is not possible to post to the old archives. If you wish to follow up on one of the posts in the archives, please make a reference of the post URL and start a new topic in the Fruits, Rare Fruits and Exotics forum.

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:36 am. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login