Search the Archives

Avocados with edible black skin and anise flavor

Avocados with edible black skin and anise flavor

The black thin-edible-skinned, anise flavored avocado is a special fruit that deserves it's own category. It's not the same as a regular avocado, for one, you can't find it in the stores because it doesn't ship well, it is generally smaller, it has a stronger flavor that might not appeal to everyone, and it doesn't fit the bill of what consumers have come to expect in an avocado's appearance.

Personally, this is my all-time favorite avocado, there's nothing quite like it. And it also happens to be one of the hardiest avocados around. That's a lot of great qualities in a fruit.

So far, the only ones I've tasted so far have been Mexicola and Mexicola Grande. Mexicola was by far the best one, it had the most pronounced anise flavor, the skin along with the flesh was truly delicious, very tender and yummy.

I hear Stewart is another such fruit. Does anyone have a list of the true Mexican avocados that have black or green edible skin?

The following thread was started by Axel on March 04, 2010 at 11:28 am PST

Check these Lists

I agree with your opinion on Mexicola, but not MG. I have never taken a bite of a MG and wanted to take another bite. I prefer Mexican/Guatemalan crosses, or better yet varieties that are mostly or all Guatemalan. To me it is difficult to beat ones like Jan Boyce, Sharwil, Edrinal, Reed, Queen, Nimlioh, Helen, Sir Prize, and even Hass. Different tastes for different people. Kern

Here are two lists with descriptions:

http://avocadosource.com/

http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/morton/avocado_ars.html#Varieties

The above followup was added by Kern in Newman Ca. on March 04, 2010 at 12:33 am PST.

Delicious little black avos

One such avocado variety I remember enjoying while living in San Diego Co. (land of the avocado), is 'Topa Topa'. Smallish fruit, thin edible skin, flesh is not so good- a bit watery with some fibers. Used as a cold hardy rootstock in the past. My memory is similar to this description:

From 'CRFG Fruit Facts'
http://www.crfg.org/pubs/ff/avocado.html
--------------
Topa Topa
Origin E.S. Thatcher, Ojai, 1912. Mexican. Tree columnar, vigorous. Fruit handsome, elongated pyriform, small to medium, 8 oz., smooth dark purple with white waxy bloom. Skin paper-thin. Flesh rather poor, oil 15%, seed elongated. Seedlings commonly used for rootstocks. Hardy, for far north. To 23° F.
--------------------------------

Though not all of these have the tender edible skin you describe, here are some other of the Mexican types from:
Morton's "Fruits of Warm Climates", Avocados

http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/morton/avocado_ars.html#Varieties

----------------
MEXICAN race: (skin thin and tender, clings to the flesh; flesh of high oil content, up to 30%. The foliage has a pronounced anise-like odor; the tree is more cold resistant than those of the other races or hybrids, thriving near Puebla, Mexico, at 5000 ft (1,800 m) above sea-level.

'Duke' (originated in California in 1912); elongated; rather small 5 1\2 to 7 oz (150 200 g); flesh of good quality, 14.5% oil. Season: Sept. to Nov. in Calif.; late July or mid Aug. to mid-Sept. in Israel. Tree is large, symmetrical and wind and cold-resistant, and also highly resistant to root rot, especially when grown from cuttings. It is a poor bearer in some areas of California; has borne 168 lbs (78 kg) annually from the 6th to the 15th year in Israel.

'Ganter' (originated in 1905 in California; introduced into Israel in 1943); small, about 5 1/2 oz (150 g); of good quality, 18% oil; seed small to medium, usually loose. Season: Oct. to Dec. in Calif.; second half of Sept. in Israel. Tree is small, yields no more than 44 lbs (20 kg) per year. Poor shipper.

'Gottfried' (seed of a seedling on Key Largo planted at USDA, Miami, in 1906; distributed in 1918); pear shaped; medium size; skin smooth, purple; flesh of excellent quality, 9 to 13% oil; seed medium. Season: Aug. to Oct. Tree prolific in California; a poor bearer in southern Florida and subject to anthracnose, but hardy and desirable for home gardens on west coast of Florida.

'Mexicola' (originated about 1910 at Pasadena, California; propagated about 1912); very small; skin black; flesh of excellent flavor; seed large. Season: Aug. to Oct. Grown only in home gardens in California. Bears early and regularly; very heat- and cold-resistant; much used as a parent in California breeding programs.

'Northrop' (seedling from C.P. Taft planted about 1900 near Tustin, California; propagated about 1911); small, 3 1/2 to 5 1/2 oz (100-150 g); skin nearly black; flesh of good quality, 26% oil; seed medium. Season: Oct. and Nov. in California; mid July to mid-Sept. in Florida; mid Sept. to mid Oct. in Israel. Fruit does not keep well; flavor disagreeable when overripe. Tree bears regularly but has lower yield than 'Duke'.

'Puebla' (considered pure Mexican but some suggest may be a Mexican X Guatemalan hybrid; was found in 1911 at Atlixco near where 'Fuchs' originated). Of medium size; skin smooth, purple; flesh of good flavor; oil content nearly 20%; seed medium to large. Season: Sept. and Oct. in Florida; early to mid-winter in cool regions of California. Tree does not set fruit regularly in California or Israel and therefore is seldom planted now. Has been recommended for home gardens in Central Florida because of hardiness.

------------------

What about that comment about growing 'Duke' by root rot resistant cuttings?

Has anyone done this successfully?

The above followup was added by John Valenzuela on March 04, 2010 at 12:48 am PST.

rooting Avo cuttings

I am trying to root some cuttings of "winter mexican" as we speak.

They dont have obvious roots yet, but they are pushing new growth and some are blooming.

I realise that the chances of sucess with this are low, but would love to use them for rootstock due to their combination of cold and salt tolerance.

Jeff

The above followup was added by Jeff (woodland) on March 04, 2010 at 4:56 pm PST.

Julie Frink mentioned G6

Julie Frink mentioned G6 having edible skin and the anise flavor.

She talks about it in the first of the two UC Irvine Avocado Collection videos available on youtube

Hopefully this link will work, if not you can just do a search on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7z5ONrV67MY

The above followup was added by Ted Allen on March 04, 2010 at 7:19 pm PST.

Giant Mexicola

I attended the Citrus tasting last weekend at Scenic Nursery in Modesto. The Avocado trees that they offer were on the way to the Citrus area, I noticed that they had Stewart this year which was listed as Giant Mexicola (12'-18' hardy to 20 F) . I've been searching for Stewart and Duke since 2007 when I lost a Zatano, Bacon and Mexicola Grande. I had them under Evergreen Mediterranean Holly Oaks for 2 seasons and they were doing very well. Unfortunately I moved them out from under cover thinking they would be happier with full sun. I recently found Duke 7 at an online nursery listed by crfg (Rolling river nursery) but they are out of stock. :( I believe they also carry Ganter. I would just love to find an Avocado tree that would be able to survive my 9a climate.

The above followup was added by Cee...Central Valley, Ca on March 04, 2010 at 10:01 pm PST.

Giant Mexicola tree or Giant Mexicola fruit?

Giant Mexicola tree or Giant Mexicola fruit?

Duke, William in Visalia may have access to regular Duke scion wood, he did at on time.

David

The above followup was added by David Johnson, Waterford CA, zone 14 on March 05, 2010 at 9:37 am PST.

Giant Mexicola tree

Giant Mexicola tree, I believe, David. The sign read...Giant Mexicola (Stewart) 12'-18' cold hardiness to 20* F but Lavern lists it as self-fertile and hardy to 18*F (with no mention of Giant only that its a Mexicola-type A.

Also I meant Zutano (sorry)

And Thank you for the Duke information, I'm sure grafting is in my future since starting several Citrus and White Sapote from seed over the past few months...right now I'm just trying to get my new apple trees in-ground from Axel's apple scion primer list (Thanks Axel) ! :-)

The above followup was added by Cee...Central Valley, Ca on March 05, 2010 at 10:41 am PST.

Cee, did you get my email?

Cee, did you get my email? If you did, it would of been nice to at least received an acknowledgment of some kind.

Unless you thought it was spam or something.

David

The above followup was added by David Johnson, Waterford CA, zone 14 on March 07, 2010 at 9:28 am PST.

Yes, got it!

Thanks David, I found it this morning and sent you a reply.

The above followup was added by Cee...Central Valley, Ca on March 08, 2010 at 9:29 am PST.

Midnight Avocado

I was reading about the Midnight Avocado from Chile on freshinfo.com...

An avocado with smooth, black and edible skin, this variety is said to have a fifth less oil than Hass. Midnight Avocado skin is significantly thinner than that of other varieties of avocado, at around 0.2mm. The fruit has a mild aniseed flavour. M&S fruit buyer Peter Ireland said: "The new Midnight Avocdo looks appetising thanks to the contrast of the silky, black skin with the green flesh. It's very easy to prepare and has a delicious, nutty taste. The article was from 2005.

The above followup was added by Cee...Central Valley, Ca on March 08, 2010 at 12:45 am PST.

Actually many of the Black thin skinned Mexican types, you can eat with the skin on.

Kern and I have traveled to many local towns, even down to Fresno, Selma and Visalia, and we have found, many black thin skinned Mexican Avocados where you can eat the skin if you want, and you don't even notice it or very much.

And i know Kern and his wife have even gone to more places, here in CA, he may have something to say too.

Though I can do it, I still prefer to normally cut and peal it away.

David

The above followup was added by David Johnson, Waterford CA, zone 14 on March 09, 2010 at 9:25 am PST.

Please note that you are viewing posts from the vintage Cloudforest forum. These are un-moderated posts made by un-registered users. Every effort has been made to clean up the old archives, but we cannot guarantee the contents. If you find an offensive post, please bring it to our attention and we will remove it.

It is not possible to post to the old archives. If you wish to follow up on one of the posts in the archives, please make a reference of the post URL and start a new topic in the Fruits, Rare Fruits and Exotics forum.

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:07 pm. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login