Search the Archives

Marcotting Vs Grafting

Marcotting Vs Grafting

Hi all, i was wondering that certain fruit trees can take root from cuttings while other need grafting. Is there any criteria that we can reply on to help us in judging whether a species is suitable for grafting or marcotting? Or is it just a knowledge gathering experience that is passed down from our forefathers using the trail and error method. Eg, I have heard of grafted mango tress but never marcotted ones, is it because it is very difficult to root or simply impossible? But guavas are always marcotted and seldom grafted. Any experts out there can advise on this? Thanks.

The following thread was started by Jet Heng on March 12, 2010 at 8:04 pm PST

interesting subject

Can I do a margullo (air layer) on a mamey or a nispero (chiko, sapodilla)? How about on a longan or litche?

The above followup was added by joe fernandez on March 12, 2010 at 9:31 pm PST.

In general, tree vs bush or vine

This is a very rough general rule, but if something naturally makes a large tree, it probably has to be grafted, ie apple, pear, walnut, cherry.

If something naturally makes more of a bush or a vine, there is a good chance that it can be grown from cuttings- ie quince, grape, kiwi, fig, pomegranate. Figs and quince can be trained as a tree, but they naturally do not make a large tree, they make a bush.

It's only a rough rule, but it mostly works.
John S
PDX OR

The above followup was added by John S on March 12, 2010 at 9:53 pm PST.

Cuttings are different that marcotting

I like John's Small Plant cutting theory.

While most things you can grow by cutting, you may also be able to marcott (air layer), not all things you can marcott can be grown by cutting.

For example Lychee- notoriously difficult to graft, or root by cutting, is almost exclusively marcotted. And they do get big, I have seen them over 60 tall, crowding each other at 4 to the acre, in Hawai'i.

Some references that may be useful:

Chart with fruits and all the different prop methods that could work with them:
http://www.crfg.org/tidbits/proptable.html

Morton often has detailed propagation info for each species:
http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/morton/index.html

She says even with growth hormones, Mangos give only 40% take from cuttings, with poor roots, and air layer of mango has poor roots too.

The above followup was added by John Valenzuela on March 13, 2010 at 8:02 pm PST.

Please note that you are viewing posts from the vintage Cloudforest forum. These are un-moderated posts made by un-registered users. Every effort has been made to clean up the old archives, but we cannot guarantee the contents. If you find an offensive post, please bring it to our attention and we will remove it.

It is not possible to post to the old archives. If you wish to follow up on one of the posts in the archives, please make a reference of the post URL and start a new topic in the Fruits, Rare Fruits and Exotics forum.

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:42 pm. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login