• facebook
  • myspace
  • reddit
  • stumble
  • twitter
  • rss
  • bookmark
  • email

A forum for growing fruits and rare tropical and temperate fruits, and tending our orchards

Avocado seed to grow rootstock

Postby othater » Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:23 pm

othater

Climate Zone: USDA 10A
Its easy to get the usual Hass seed but what is the name type of best/better avocado (mexican?) seed that is good for rootstock growing?
Does anyone sell just the seeds?
Should I be asking in the scion exchange forum?

Re: Avocado seed to grow rootstock

Postby Ed of Somis » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:02 pm

Ed of Somis
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: Sunset zone 21
O....it would be good if you could connect with someone who grows different varieties of Mexican avos. Maybe you could find a small fruit stand that has some of these avos for sale. The common variety (which I use alot) is Bacon. Mexicola is a good one, as well. The big advantage here is simply cold-heartiness. Depending on where you live....it might actually not be that important. If you come to Ventura County sometime...let me know. Perhaps I could help you out.

Postby CampoCalle » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:08 pm

CampoCalle

Climate Zone: Sunset and USDA Zone 9
I have been growing out rootstocks of Duke, a hardy Mexican avo. I purchased the fruit at the Chico Farmers Market from Chaffin Family Orchards. I'm not sure who else might be selling Duke, but Chaffin might do mail order when the fruit is in season. Duke is very cold hardy and is supposed to be disease resistant.

http://www.chaffinfamilyorchards.com/fa ... e-avocado/

Postby cchan » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:27 pm

cchan
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: 9-10
If possible to find Holiday is a good dwarf rootstock.

Postby othater » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:48 pm

othater

I will try the local farmers markets for Bacon, Duke or Holiday avocado's to grow as rootstock.
Not sure if I've seen any of them but then again I wasn't looking.
I've seen bacon and Holiday tree's for sale at the nursery and big box stores though.
This new hobby is becoming very addictive to me.
Thank you

Postby intel415 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:46 pm

intel415

Climate Zone: USDA zone 10a
All these are very good cold hardy for rootstocks. Othater I live near you why not just grow anything that is available to you? our climates never go below the 30s or hardly below 40s :lol: .

Postby othater » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:51 pm

othater

Intel415,

Would that be NorCal? I'm in SoCal.
I figure if I'm going to grow rootstock I should grow on the best seed grown rootstock so if I give away the plant if would have its best chance on either climate.

Yes its easy to get Hass seeds but from reading they are not the best and Mexican types are better. Not to say I will not use them for myself.

I had a burn problem on my avocado tree the last freeze that came through SoCal so I think this would be best for me going forward.

Thanks

Postby Oolie » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:04 pm

Oolie
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: sunset 23
Sure it was the cold that caused the burn?

Only burn I get down here comes from too much sun on young plants, or salty soil.

I would look for bacon, fuerte, or any large seeded fruits, reed seeds have a high success rate for me.

Postby intel415 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:25 pm

intel415

Climate Zone: USDA zone 10a
@ oahater

forget that 415 area code lol that doesnt mean i live in san Francisco. Im in socal and live near you :mrgreen: Make sure you avocados are not salt burn, they dont like that. what you should do is get the biggest seeds and grow them they can provide a vigorous rooting system. Hass as a rootstock should be fine for San Gabriel area.

Postby DavidLJ48 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:57 pm

DavidLJ48
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: Sunset Zone 14, USDA zone 9b
I got a few of the Duke fruits, from the Orville Rail Road Restaurant, in town, the largest of two trees.

I had a local CRFG member go to Chaffin Farms and gather some from the Rail Road tree, I preferred the ones from the largest of the two Rail Road trees hands down.

The Chaffin trees, most seem to be different, I think I read, that the orchard is actually what is left of the original research project, so some or all trees, have slightly different fruits. Forget the full details, from reading and from what Bill Bird told me, in his research project to discover the Duke story and bring it to light in these times.

I have a few seeds from the in town Rail Road Restaurant tree, also was able to get wood from that tree last summer, as well as Duke wood from Julie in SoCal.

I am finding this term might apply, will the real Duke and or will the best Duke please stand up.

I am not totally sure, but think Mexicola and some other Mexican strains are as hardy or maybe even hardier then Duke, but maybe not as good fruit. I have a selection of local valley varieties and seedling Mexican strains. This winter, with a low of 23.5F, all Mexican strains took some damage, two took almost no damage at all, a couple Criollo types, 40 to 60 percent leaf burn/kill, but no twig damage. Collecting these, has helped me to understand, not all Mexican strains are super hardy.

David

CampoCalle wrote:I have been growing out rootstocks of Duke, a hardy Mexican avo. I purchased the fruit at the Chico Farmers Market from Chaffin Family Orchards. I'm not sure who else might be selling Duke, but Chaffin might do mail order when the fruit is in season. Duke is very cold hardy and is supposed to be disease resistant.

http://www.chaffinfamilyorchards.com/fa ... e-avocado/
Sunset zone 14, USDA zone 9b

Next

Return to Fruits, Rare Fruits, Orchards and Exotics

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:04 am. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login