• facebook
  • myspace
  • reddit
  • stumble
  • twitter
  • rss
  • bookmark
  • email

A forum for growing rare fruits, edibles and Permaculture with a focus on tropicals.

Avocados and heat

Postby kingoceanos » Fri Jul 08, 2016 4:08 am

kingoceanos

Climate Zone: USDA Zone 8B
I don't know about avocado trees in California, but here in Texas even with shade and plenty of water my avocados branches droop down a considerable amount by the time the day is about over. Is this common or should I be adding something to their feeding routine?
Thanks

Re: Avocados and heat

Postby pat » Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:35 pm

pat

Climate Zone: 9
If the root are happy, avocado can thrive in high temperature (90-95). My 15 gallon "Sir Prize" put out 2 flush last year (planted onto the ground July 2015). I give it some really great planting mixture which cost me a small fortune, but the problem is that salt accumulated and most leaves are brown 1/4 at the tip.

Recommend what you can do to make your avocado happy; what I did this year:
Put 10 lbs of gypsum onto the soil and water it down (10-15 gallon). It will leach the salt out of the root zone and soften the hard clay soil (it will benefit the soil regardless). Before the next watering, add 1 cubic foot of earth worm casting and then 3 cubic ft of mulch ( I like to us the Kellogg blue label which is used for tree planting, break down easily; add more at a later date). I put in 9 cubic ft already for a 5-6 diameter and will put 3 more cubic ft in August. Tree is now 7ft x 6ft canopy; no fruit this year; 3 large fruits last year.

Goal: 15 ft x 10 ft. canopy by December 2016; chance of reaching goal: 100%; Tree is growing gang buster now (2nd flush already), of course vigorous cultivar help too.

Fertilizer usage: Fox Farm "Grow Big" liquid fertilizer and rock dust AZOMITE. I believe these additions helped the leaf cell wall grow thicker for the extreme cold and heat temperature.

Postby kingoceanos » Sun Jul 10, 2016 5:10 am

kingoceanos

Wow thanks , it sounds like a plan. :) I will have to see if I can find the supplies here. For some reason it is hard to find the good products in bulk around my area, I've seen worm castings but usually in small containers. I am going to check with our county extension office and see if they know of a bulk supplier.
Thanks again.

Postby pat » Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:56 am

pat

kingoceanos.

If you can't find those items, what you can do is mulch your tree with a lot of dead leaves ( 2-3 time per year, 3-4 inches), and toss a few hand full of chicken fertilizer (composted already; home depot, lowes) on top to hold the leaves in place. I also recommend buying a water hose filter ($30-$50) on ebay. It filters out chlorine, and chemical which do harm to the soil ( kill benefit microorganism).

I post picture later but need to find my camera first.

Postby kingoceanos » Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:28 am

kingoceanos

Thank you for the tips, I do appreciate them. With our heat the squirrels are getting to be a real nuisance, I see them getting into my freshly watered potted plants, trying to cool off on the moist soil. Unfortunately they tend to compact and throw a lot of the potting soil out of the pots :x . It's bad enough when they steal my fruit and nuts but this just increases my work load and expenses. My wife likes squirrels, otherwise I'd blast the furry thieves. Whish I could train a snake to stay in my yard and just eat squirrels ;) .

Postby pat » Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:29 pm

pat

Sir Prize Avocado
https://postimg.org/image/ji81p4x5n/?t=suggested
https://postimg.org/image/k467cq6zf/
https://postimg.org/image/a89pqtql7/[/url]

Postby RobertS » Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:14 am

RobertS
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: Sunset zone 17
Pat, beautiful Sir Prize tree where are you located at? Do you get freezes?

Postby pat » Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:50 pm

pat

Hi RobertS,

The location is in San Jose, CA. I don't think we get freeze last winter. Even though we do, I think the tree are super healthy to weather the storm. If it get under 30 then it is a different story. I have a total of 3 "Sir Prize" tree (1-15 gal, 2-5 gal) all planted on the ground at different location on the property. All are doing extremely well eventhough with the squirrel attacked.

I got inspired by a person name "JF" on another tropical forum. His "Sir Prize" had like 300 fruits on the tree within a 3-4 years, and it caused his tree to top over; however, his shed saved the tree. He lives Southern California

It is a pretty vigorous tree when it get going. Hopefully the underground furry friend doesn't get near it. Still grieve over my lovely 4 ft Fwan Tung Starfruit.

Postby RobertS » Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:11 am

RobertS
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: Sunset zone 17
Yes, Pat I know JF from tropical forum he is in mother land for growing avocado's. You have some nice looking trees best of luck with them, i have a newly grafted tree I will be putting in ground soon, just need to edit another tree first. Jan Boyce is another very good avocado. ;)

Postby DavidLJ48 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:30 am

DavidLJ48
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: Sunset Zone 14, USDA zone 9b
In Texas where the humanity is higher, find it hard to imagine that the leaves wilt, maybe in a pot, but if not established in the ground. My trees don't really wilt, or much, when it gets to over 100 and the humidity is down to mid teens.

I believe Pat above said, if the roots are happy, they should be fine. If you have a decent size tree in the ground and it is willing, it must need water or the roots are compromised in some way; shallow top soil, too high of soil salts or root damage or something.
Sunset zone 14, USDA zone 9b

Next

Return to Rare Fruits, Edibles and Permaculture with a focus on tropicals

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:43 am. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login