• facebook
  • myspace
  • reddit
  • stumble
  • twitter
  • rss
  • bookmark
  • email

A forum for growing rare fruits, edibles and Permaculture with a focus on tropicals.

Best container guavas for taste - will be inside when cold

Postby Harborseal » Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:39 pm

Harborseal

Climate Zone: USDA 6a
Hi! I just lost my semi-tropicals last year to a much colder than predicted night. I want to start over with fewer citrus and more variety, especially some guavas. I'll probably get Mexican Cream but I mostly want red ones. I've heard good things about the taste of Malaysian Red and Ruby Supreme. Any others to consider? Any down sides to those? Any with fewer seeds? I prefer no or minimal mealiness.

I'm getting a red and a yellow strawberry guava, I have a Chilean Guava (no fruit yet).

What else (other fruits) would you recommend? I can use containers from 10 - 25 gallons.

In the cold part of the year the containers come in to a grow room with a wall of West facing windows and a 1000W HID lamp. I fruited tomatoes in there last year.

If I were to get 2 mangoes, any recommendations for fiberless, no turpentine or lemon tastes, seeking rich, tropical flavors?

Thanks for all help.

Re: Best container guavas for taste - will be inside when co

Postby Jason (palo alto) » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:19 am

Jason (palo alto)
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: Z17, 9b
Smaller bananas would probably work well.
Also, dragon fruit and other cactus would be easily to container grow and get fruit

Re: Best container guavas for taste - will be inside when co

Postby Smarteapantz » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:39 am

Smarteapantz

Climate Zone: Sunset Zone 15, USDA Zone 9b
I've had great success with my Tropic Pink Guava in a plastic "half wine barrel" container from Costco. It produced 1 fruit the first spring when I planted it, and about 40 fragrantly sweet gems the second year! It's grown quite big, and I'm very happy with it so far. The fruit is so delicious, my family fights over it. Lol.

I learned a simple trick to protect the guavas from squirrel thieves by encapsulating them in plastic clam-shell berry containers to protect them while they ripen. It totally worked! (Some pictures below).

My dwarf Cara Cara orange tree in container also produced 20 sweet and juicy fruits after 1 year since planting. It's a definite winner. :)

IMG_4563.JPG
IMG_4563.JPG (100.52 KiB) Viewed 3513 times

IMG_4564.JPG
IMG_4564.JPG (142 KiB) Viewed 3513 times

IMG_4567.JPG
IMG_4567.JPG (87.93 KiB) Viewed 3513 times

Return to Rare Fruits, Edibles and Permaculture with a focus on tropicals

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:35 pm. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login