• facebook
  • myspace
  • reddit
  • stumble
  • twitter
  • rss
  • bookmark
  • email

A forum for growing rare fruits, edibles and Permaculture with a focus on tropicals.

Re: Blooms on white sapote

Postby Axel » Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:56 pm

Axel
Site Admin

Climate Zone: 12b/H2 & 10b/S23
I checked my white sapote trees today, only suebelle is flowering. All the other dozen varieties I grow are growing vigorously, but there is no sign of bloom.

Some of my trees are growing into giant sized trees, I don't know how I will keep them small enough. I keep pruning back, and they keep growing more.
Tropical gardening in both Kaua'i windward Sunset H2/USDA 12b and Fallbrook Sunset 23/USDA 10b.

Postby RobertS » Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:37 pm

RobertS
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: Sunset zone 17
Most of my sapotes are blooming now Suebell, Vernon,Pike but other var. have yet to bloom. Axel, I've tried to keep my Rainbow seedling cut back like you mentioned but it grows right out after so I try now to top it every year at about 12-15'. At least all my varieties grow up where as my Suebelle just likes to grow out an droop to the ground.

Postby wbutler » Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:13 am

wbutler

Climate Zone: zone 9
Axel

I maintain my suebelle at 10 feet but pinching the terminal growth about once a week. It takes about 15 minutes to go around the tree and remove all new growth from the outer canopy the same as you would do for an avocado. Obviously in the winter when growth is more slow you might have to only do this once a month. Using this method has resulted on a very bushy tree that has lots of buds now and is easily kept at 10 feet.

Re: Blooms on white Sapote

Postby DavidLJ48 » Sat Jan 01, 2011 4:12 pm

DavidLJ48
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: Sunset Zone 14, USDA zone 9b
RobertS wrote:Most of my sapotes are blooming now Suebell, Vernon,Pike but other var. have yet to bloom. Axel, I've tried to keep my Rainbow seedling cut back like you mentioned but it grows right out after so I try now to top it every year at about 12-15'. At least all my varieties grow up where as my Suebelle just likes to grow out an droop to the ground.

Robert, do you share scion wood, I have been looking for some, after it came up in discussion, I think around a year ago or so. Tom A., said he shared lots of the scion wood in the Bay Area Scion Exchanges, but has since lost his tree to construction. A few of us have tried to find someone with the Rainbow wood, but to no avail. I think recently someone said they had Rainbow seedlings or etc. I inquired here and sent emails out to all of the Northern CA CRFG Chapter Chairmans, and no one reported back any one they knew of, had some.

Tom A. said it was really good/super tasting, but not as sweet as most White Sapotes, plus it seems like some other quality, I now no longer remember.

David
Sunset zone 14, USDA zone 9b

Re: Blooms on white Sapote

Postby DavidLJ48 » Sat Jan 01, 2011 4:37 pm

DavidLJ48
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: Sunset Zone 14, USDA zone 9b
Merbert wrote:
wbutler wrote:Hi Merbert

How old are the trees that set fruit? Are they young trees ? Hopefully the wind does not do too much damage.

One Suebelle has been in the ground for 5 years. The other has been in the ground for 2. The Floridian varieties (very dissimilar in appearance) are 4 and less than 1 year in the ground. The McDill is from last summer and has barely grown. The one that has fruited was planted 2 years ago. It is a spindly thing and I am wondering if it can support fully-formed fruit.

Merbert,

My tree is a grafted seeding, that has been in the ground for like 7 plus years. I applied my first grafts in 2005, then had the arctic freeze of Jan 2007, down to 21F, kill off all of the White Sapote wood back to 1/4 plus size horizontal wood; which sadly included my new grafts. Had to wait until the fall of 2007 and the spring of 2008, before I had decent wood on the tree again to graft too. Now if I apply a graft in spring and it takes, it will grow to a length of around 4 to 6 feet by fall.

Last fall/winter, 2009, the Santa Cruz set a few bloom inflorescences, which were killed by the one night arctic 25F low. I figured, wow, this spring for sure, but no. But this fall, the Golden Globe, Suebelle and Santa Cruz all began to set blooms inflorescences.

The tree has been cut back on top, but the trunk is now finally around 3 plus inches in diameter at ground level. My plants in gallon pots have not made a effort to bloom and set fruit. Though this last summer I sold a 5 gallon plant and they put it in a 15 gallon pot and he told me it bloomed this fall and set a few a few fruits. I have to wonder it if is like a avocado or citrus, it will set fruit if in a large enough pot and well cared for. But put it in the ground, and it will go through that adaptive stage and want to develop a good root system and some size before setting fruit again.

Though I keep hearing that grafted White Sapotes set fruit when younger if grafted, not sure how much of that is if it is in a pot, or in the ground and or maybe stunted or something. After you plant a tree in the ground, it is basically still in a pot, until it can establish roots into the native soil sufficiently enough.

David
Sunset zone 14, USDA zone 9b

Postby Jason_AU » Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:22 pm

Jason_AU
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: USDA Zone 9
My Vernon trees are seriously covered in THOUSANDS of flowers year round, I'm trying to make them flower less. The other varieties are more well behaved but most of them did take a few years to start to really get going. I've got fruit set on 2 of my seedlings (8 and 10 years old), the third one didn't flower much and didn't get a fruit set but hopefully in Autumn it will flower again and set fruit

Previous

Return to Rare Fruits, Edibles and Permaculture with a focus on tropicals

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:35 pm. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login