• facebook
  • myspace
  • reddit
  • stumble
  • twitter
  • rss
  • bookmark
  • email

A forum for growing fruits and rare tropical and temperate fruits, and tending our orchards

Blossoms falling off Bacon avo tree?

Postby jackth29 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:23 pm

jackth29

Climate Zone: Sunset Zone 23
Hi everyone! My bacon avocado tree started to bloom about 2 weeks ago. There are still a lot of buds and flowers but I've noticed that some of the buds have started dying and falling off over the past 4 or 5 days. However, most are still staying on thankfully. Is it normal for some of the blossoms to fall off or am I doing something wrong? Is it kind of a "survival of the fittest" thing going on where only the best blossoms stay on and turn into avocados? I'm very new to all of this so Im not quite sure what to expect yet. Thanks for any help on this matter!

Also, I had read someone say that they had never seen an avocado tree produce fruit in a pot (it might have been another website some time ago). I have my Hass planted in the ground but I am currently re-landscaping my backyard and can't plant my new bacon and reed trees in the ground yet. I just planted them each in their own 30" diameter, about 24" high pot. Compared to the tiny pots I bought them in, the new pots seem like more than enough space but I want to get your opinion. Do you think they'd be able to produce fruit? I can provide pictures soon. Thanks so much to everyone, I really appreciate how helpful this forum has been as I've been getting started. :D

Re: Blossoms falling off Bacon avo tree?

Postby Axel » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:12 pm

Axel
Site Admin

Climate Zone: sunset 15/USDA 9b
It's normal for avocados to drop blossoms, and if your trees are young, you shouldn't let them fruit anyway so that they can put all their energy into getting established.

If you are landscaping your garden and you expect to be able to plant in the ground within the next 12 months, 24 inch containers for your avos is overkill, not to mention it makes no sense to expect them to fruit already.

My recommendation is that you put them into standard 15 gallon containers, it will be much easier to plant them when you are ready. I realize our society is all about instant gratification, but try to forget about fruit for the first 2-3 years, the tree need to put its energy into growing and getting established.

Postby Ed of Somis » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:09 pm

Ed of Somis
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: Sunset zone 21
A is correct in his assessments. Perhaps about 1% of avocado flowers actually fruit. It is unlike most other fruit trees in that regard. Growing avocados in containers...and having them produce fruit is quite challenging. First of all, fluctuations in water/moisture is tough on avocados. Their root systems are the most sensitive I know of. Some people on this site have unfavorable weather....and grow in containers/greenhouses. In the long run I suspect it is futile. In the short run, it may work for a few years.

Postby jackth29 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:20 am

jackth29

Climate Zone: Sunset Zone 23
Thanks so much for the feedback! I'd definitely much rather have well-established, healthy trees in the long run than have fruit this year. Should I just remove the blossoms or the entire branches the blossoms are on? Thankfully I still have the containers the two trees came in, so I'll put them back in the 15 gallon ones for now. It should only 2 or 3 months until I can plant them in the ground. Thanks so much for the quick responses, I would be completely lost without everyone here on Cloudforest.

Postby Ed of Somis » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:04 am

Ed of Somis
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: Sunset zone 21
J...transferring this back and forth will stress this tree out for sure. Be so careful with disturbing the roots. Trust me...they are sensitive. Anyway, I probably might disagree with A on this: do not remove any blossoms, branches, or anything. If the tree can't handle the fruit...it will dump them by itself. After moving it twice...I am quite sure that will happen anyway. Do not overthink this and you will be fine.

Return to Fruits, Rare Fruits, Orchards and Exotics

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:05 am. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login