• facebook
  • myspace
  • reddit
  • stumble
  • twitter
  • rss
  • bookmark
  • email

A forum for growing rare fruits, edibles and Permaculture with a focus on tropicals.

Re: Chickens!

Postby idave2000 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:16 pm

idave2000

Climate Zone: USDA 6a
Hi and congratulations. I still raise my hens under the cover of nice neighbors! This is my first post and so I'm not sure if it's ok to mention vendors but there is a great company in Northern California that sells a custom blended chicken forage planting mix. Just Google "PVFS Omega-3 Chicken Forage Blend".

Good luck and have fun!

Dave

Postby Unkledon » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:08 pm

Unkledon

Climate Zone: Sunset 17
I've raised chickens for 30 years, and the "all purpose" heritage breeds are hundreds of years old and are great at foraging. I always give them commercial lay pellets, but in the afternoons they charge out the gate for those bugs and greens!

Don Eggleston

Postby HillsideFarmHawaii » Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:13 pm

HillsideFarmHawaii

Climate Zone: USDA zone 11
Chickens are great fun, although there is a huge different in your chicken experience depending on which breed of chicken you get. Somewhat similar to dogs, the guy with the chihuahua is gonna have different dog stories than the guy with the Great Dane. Here's a handy chicken chart which gives a great overview of the different chicken types: Henderson's Chicken Chart

We've kept quite a few of the heritage breeds. The Rhode Island Reds were probably the most productive and friendliest of the types we've had. We would feed them a little bit of commercial egg layer pellets in the mornings just to get them to come down to the back window where the egg nest was. They'd eat their food from the bird feeder in front of the window, lay their eggs in the nest box and then go forage for the rest of their food.

At night they'd go back into their coop and sleep. It was raised three feet off the ground so mongoose couldn't reach them. We also have two border collies who don't eat livestock and keep other livestock eating dogs away. Keeping your chickens protected from predators is important. They taste just like chicken, ya know, and everyone wants to eat them.

Chickens are omnivores. They will eat anything. Give them all your leftover food scraps from the kitchen. They will also eat bugs, lizards and small mice if they can get their beaks on it. They will also eat the vegetables in the gardens. You may want to fence them out of the garden. They scratch in the dirt and take dust baths. They are a lot of fun to watch. Oh, don't train them to jump up for treats in your hands or every time you go outside you will be surrounded by jumping chickens.

We've moved to a new house on a smaller lot and it's set up so we can't have the free range chickens anymore. The eggs aren't as tasty when the chickens can't wander around and forage.

Postby zone 9 in Brazil » Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:59 pm

zone 9 in Brazil

Climate Zone: USDA zone 9B
I don't believe you're not feeding them your perennial peanut. What a great source of protein. I have my chickens on almost all forage. I have cows, so compost and manure give plenty for the chickens to eat.

Previous

Return to Rare Fruits, Edibles and Permaculture with a focus on tropicals

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:16 am. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login