• facebook
  • myspace
  • reddit
  • stumble
  • twitter
  • rss
  • bookmark
  • email

A forum for growing fruits and rare tropical and temperate fruits, and tending our orchards

correct buds for avocado scion wood?

Postby Steve in Los Osos » Mon May 23, 2011 10:25 am

Steve in Los Osos
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: Sunset zone 17, USDA 10a
I've got an avocado I purchased at Green Scene and have been trying without success to make a successful graft on several year-old seedlings (the original plant itself is not in a suitable condition to plant out as a permanent tree). The mother plant has lots of new growth (in fact, it was just finishing a flowering/fruiting cycle when I got it) but all of the axillary buds are elongated and sharply pointed.

These are not so good, right? I don't see any buds which look like what I usually find when I do a successful avocado graft (shorter and fatter).

My question: if I cut back on the new growth am I likely to stimulate the correct kind of axillary buds farther back along the stem or do I just have to wait another year (or part of one) for the plant to enter the correct growing cycle for generating the better buds? I'd try a veneer graft with older wood but I've now decapitated all of my available seedlings and don't know if I'd have any success that way without some leaves remaining on the rootstock.

Re: correct buds for avocado scion wood?

Postby Ethan » Mon May 23, 2011 11:58 am

Ethan
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: 9/9
Steve,
I saw a graft being done last year that was a smaller rootstock into a larger scion. Forgive me if it has a name, I dont know it but it is a combo of cleft/wedge and approach graft (it was being done on rambutan). The rootstock was trimmed into a wedge shape (upside down V) the parent scion still attached to the mother plant had a cleft cut into the underside and the wedge (rootstock) was inserted. All this was wrapped tightly and the potted rootstock was braced. It was left in place 'til obvious new growth had formed then the scion was separated from the mother. A friend ordered a mango from Thailand and it had a rootstock about 1" in dia and a scion about 2"+ dia, it looked unnatural but it is growing for him.

good luck,
-Ethan

Postby pitangadiego » Mon May 23, 2011 8:21 pm

pitangadiego
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: San Diego CA
Round buds are flowers, and pointy buds are vegetative.

Postby DavidLJ48 » Tue May 24, 2011 8:47 am

DavidLJ48
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: Sunset Zone 14, USDA zone 9b
pitangadiego wrote:Round buds are flowers, and pointy buds are vegetative.

Jon hit it on the nail head, so to speak with rounded and pointed buds.

What I do is go back up the stem a bit, to last years growth, the wood normally has dormant and somewhat swollen buds, but in any case, they are the buds you want. The the wood is firm and more rounded and nice to work with and good for grafting. The wood further back is tougher and harder to cut, and the new growth beyond this point is most often too fleshy and soft and not rounded, even making it more difficult to work with.

David
Sunset zone 14, USDA zone 9b

Postby pamela » Tue May 24, 2011 4:28 pm

pamela

Climate Zone: 9b
I contacted friend Denny who works at the avo plot at our research station with Julie. I described the sprawling Gwen.

This was his response:

I would tell him to look for a wheel. It is where the new growth starts. You will find about 10 or 15 very small buds many may have already been brushed off but all you need it one. Or try to find a leaf on a branch the size you are looking for break off the leaf and there is a bud behind it. It is getting into the poor success for grafting but I have had better success in September than February.

Denny

I hope this helps...

Pam

Postby Steve in Los Osos » Tue May 24, 2011 5:33 pm

Steve in Los Osos
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: Sunset zone 17, USDA 10a
Thanks to all. I have one new graft attempt to watch and an older one that I am pretty sure is toast so I will have another try at it. I'll look for the characteristics described when choosing my next piece of scion wood ;)

Meanwhile I have three new seeds in the ground so if it has to be next year, then I will be ready!

Postby DavidLJ48 » Wed May 25, 2011 7:13 am

DavidLJ48
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: Sunset Zone 14, USDA zone 9b
I have grafted larger then the pencil size scion wood, that I tried to describe, but larger works too, I just have to adapt the grafting technique. I have even grafted over 1/2 inch, with the cleft graft form, that I do with the pencil size wood. But to keep the wood you are grafting too, from splitting and going Armonk. I cut the scion wood narrower, cut one angle the same, then cut the second less, sometime about straight in line with the wood. Take is less, but it works 50% or more of the time, if all alignments are good.

One can use different form of bark grafts too, with some success. The only thing that has not work very well is budding.

In all, any bud that is beyond present bloom stage wood, works ok, if you can work with it.

David
Sunset zone 14, USDA zone 9b

Return to Fruits, Rare Fruits, Orchards and Exotics

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:45 pm. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login