• facebook
  • myspace
  • reddit
  • stumble
  • twitter
  • rss
  • bookmark
  • email

A forum for growing fruits and rare tropical and temperate fruits, and tending our orchards

Daily 11 Avocado

Postby George » Sat May 18, 2013 1:10 pm

George
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: ssz 23
The Daily11 is 3 about three years in the ground while the Sir Prize and the Reed are a year older. All are on Dusa.
The Sir prize is 15 feet tall, just as wide and grows like a weed. Not a pretty tree yet but maturity might make it more handsome. It has a bushy habit but tends to grow up as much as out. The canopy is about the same density you might expect on your average avocado tree while the leaves seem a bit more delicate than most.
The Reed grows up in a column and at a much slower rate. Not sure if it is the planting or the tree which has kept it slow. It is only about nine feet tall and perhaps four feet across. The canopy is much denser than the Sir Prize and the leaves are thicker. This is a pretty tree. I have seen mature samples and they are the icon of what a dooryard avocado tree is expected to be. (BTW an Opossum pulled almost all of the fruit off this tree a few weeks ago, Only five left for this summer)
The Daily 11 is a very dense bush. It has been staked and tied just to keep it off the ground. It does not want to send any shoots up at all and the shoots it sends sideways weep. It is three and a half feet tall and six feet wide even with the stakes and ropes. It is, however, covered with fruit sets which will produce 5 pound gourd shaped fruit this winter.
Does anyone have experience with avocado espalier? Maybe and avocado hedge? Maybe I am just impatient and this tree will find its feet.

Re: Daily 11 Avocado

Postby Ed of Somis » Sat May 18, 2013 4:44 pm

Ed of Somis
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: Sunset zone 21
G...my Reed is exactly the same as yours (columnar shape). It's fruit is huge and delicious. Take care of that opposum! (see my posts). They are easy to catch in a trap.(havahart type). Keep up the good work...

Postby Oolie » Sun May 19, 2013 1:09 pm

Oolie
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: sunset 23
Agreed on the possum treatment, I like them. But if they are filling in for the squirrels, they need to be moved out. I can show you a canyon nearby where we can release it.

I've seen a Daily 11 at the Snows, it grows very little, and gets covered in large fruit, the branching habit is somewhat erratic.

Reeds normally grow that way as far as I can tell.

I need to check out your plot soon, but I won't be in the country until mid June.

Postby George » Sun May 19, 2013 6:59 pm

George
Cloudforest Expert

It took me a while to suspect opossum. I did not think an animal would pull down unripe fruit and just leave it. My son was the first suspect but his pleas for mercy as I waterboarded him (not torture!) and marks on the fruit eventually lead me to believe opossum.
The Daily11 is actually an attractive plant, just not the shape you expect from an avocado. If they all grow in a similar way IMHO the search for a small avocado is over. Keep the Holiday and the Gilogly and grow this as a bush next to your patio. The new foliage is a deeper red than most avocados, the mature foliage is a deep green and the density of the canopy will hide the fruit until you are ready to share.
I have a six foot stake pushed down next to the trunk with a 1/2 inch rope pulling the main branch up. The rope is tied with a slipknot and I pull the branch upward a bit more every so often. Hopefully the tree will establish a structure and the stake can eventually be removed.

Postby padsfan » Sun May 19, 2013 7:53 pm

padsfan
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: Sunset 24
What nursery did you get the clonal trees from?

Postby Oolie » Sun May 19, 2013 8:04 pm

Oolie
Cloudforest Expert

Remember not to pick the 11's until they loose all their shine. There should be no gloss, only dullness.

In the thread I bumped, I believe he talked about getting the Dusa trees from Brokaw nursery.

Postby George » Mon May 20, 2013 4:11 pm

George
Cloudforest Expert

Yes, Brokaw.

Postby Jay-Los-Angeles » Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:20 pm

Jay-Los-Angeles

Climate Zone: 10a, Sunset 21
Hey George and Oolie,

I know this is an old thread but I'm wondering how you're liking your Daily 11 avocados. How does the taste compare to the usual suspects -- Hass, Reed, Sir Prize, etc? I know it's not as good, but is it still edible? Atkins has then in stock for $25 for a 5 gal. I do want a freakish avocado to fill out the collection, but if it's as bland and watery as the giant "Florida" avocado then it's probably not worth it. Thanks!

Postby MARLONLARA » Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:23 pm

MARLONLARA

Climate Zone: 8B
My Stewart Avocados was attacked by racoons Middle of October 2013. Even when it is not even close to ripening. Luckily it did not eat the rest of the fruits. only 8 out of 30 fruits survived for harvest in Jan. 2014

Postby Oolie » Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:53 am

Oolie
Cloudforest Expert

Jay-Los-Angeles wrote:Hey George and Oolie,

I know this is an old thread but I'm wondering how you're liking your Daily 11 avocados. How does the taste compare to the usual suspects -- Hass, Reed, Sir Prize, etc? I know it's not as good, but is it still edible? Atkins has then in stock for $25 for a 5 gal. I do want a freakish avocado to fill out the collection, but if it's as bland and watery as the giant "Florida" avocado then it's probably not worth it. Thanks!

I'm told they are quite good.
I gave one to the girlfriend's family and they said it was comparable to Hass, but I have yet to eat one myself.

Next

Return to Fruits, Rare Fruits, Orchards and Exotics

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:14 am. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login