• facebook
  • myspace
  • reddit
  • stumble
  • twitter
  • rss
  • bookmark
  • email

A forum for growing fruits and rare tropical and temperate fruits, and tending our orchards

Dave Wilson's Peacotum

Postby sautesmom » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:44 pm

sautesmom
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: Sacramento
Being a collector, I was very excited about Dave Wilson's new interspecific Peacotum (peach-apricot-plum) and I had planned to buy one. But then I read their label, and although it talks about fuzz, and color, and says NOTHING about how it tastes, which makes me very suspicious. One would think their marketing department would be throwing around the words "delicious" or "sweet".

Has anyone here actually tasted one?

Carla in Sac
Carla in Sac

Re: Dave Wilson's Peacotum

Postby fruitnut » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:01 am

fruitnut
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: 7a
Carla:

I haven't tasted one having just planted mine. But as I remember the brix is listed as 15.7. That is about 3 points below most of the new pluot. I'm hoping I can pump it up to about 18 at which point it should be pretty good. I bought mine for the novelty and the pretty picture they showed.

I haven't figured out how to post a link yet. When I try it just messes up. But some info is listed at DWN commercial side:http://www.davewilson.com/br10/catalog/aprium.html

Gee, that link worked. My newest pluot, Flavor Royale, Crimson Royale, Ruby Kat, and Honey Punch, are way bigger and higher brix. That info is also on that same area of DWN.

What I'm wondering is if Bella Gold is basically just another aprium or if it's more like a pluot. On DWN newest chart it's listed with the aprium but I was expecting something more like a pluot. If it is in between I'll be happy.

Re: Dave Wilson's...the hype

Postby Ed of Somis » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:47 am

Ed of Somis
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: Sunset zone 21
Dave Wilson's nursery has been around for awhile....and they have many great products. Sometimes I have noticed they over-hype some of their fruit trees. Specifically, some of their low-chill varieties are very marginal producers in SoCal. Private reports of fruit qualities does not always match up with their publicity. I find it is always best to get un-biased reports from fruit growers on what they have actually experienced before investing years into a tree.

Re: Dave Wilson's...the hype

Postby Axel » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:05 am

Axel
Site Admin

Climate Zone: sunset 15/USDA 9b
I have had great experiences with Dave Wilson, most of the new releases come from Zaiger genetics, (http://www.davewilson.com/z_file/zaiger_intro.html) and I have yet to come across a new Zaiger release that isn't any good. They really do their homework on their stone fruit breeding work. Their goal is to create stone fruits that are as good as the old heirlooms yet also have the required characteristics for commercial release. Yet they also release a lot of their non-commercially suitable yet deliciously yummy varieties to home gardeners. For example the Emerald drop pluot is too small for commercial purposes but it has 20 brix, ideal for the backyard grower. How can anyone find fault with that?

Carla, at the CRFG conference last Summer, Dave Wilson had a lot of the new odd cherry-plum-apricot crosses for taste, and they were all good. So I don't see how you can go wrong with their stuff, especially given you live in Sacramento. (I am seriously envious of the stone fruit you can grow in your garden.)

Ed of Somis wrote:Sometimes I have noticed they over-hype some of their fruit trees. Specifically, some of their low-chill varieties are very marginal producers in SoCal.

Ed, have the low chill cherries failed for you? I've heard a lot of positive reports on these coming out of Southern California, some growers along the coast seem to be able to grow them down there. Mine bloom about a week or two after Anna and Dorsett golden, really adding more evidence that they are truly low chill.

You might want to defoliate them in the Spring, that should induce them to bloom.

Postby fruitnut » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:27 am

fruitnut
Cloudforest Expert

I've had about as many duds from Zaiger as winners. But they all can't be winners everywhere. Maybe I was at fault for some of the losers, either my management or just the difference in conditions. Overall I've seen a great improvement in things like pluot. The new ones don't crack as much and they all set good crops.

Also most of my losers were never released retail. They were commercial lines for the big boys. The retail releases are very carefully selected for high quality or something unusual.

I do think some of their early releases like Flavor Supreme (great fruit but won't set a crop) and Flavor Delight (questionable quality), are due for replacement. But over time things like that build up a certain following out of proportion to their value. If they still sell, they get sold.

Overall I think the Zaigers and DWN have done a superb job.

Axel:

All you need to grow stone fruit like Carla can is a high tunnel. Cover a frame with IR poly and you are there. It would be best at about 12ft or taller.

And I found it interesting that Emerald Drop and Emerald Gem, the former sold to home owners and the later listed on DWN commercial side, have the same patent number. So the same fruit is being sold under two names.

Postby Axel » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:51 pm

Axel
Site Admin

Climate Zone: sunset 15/USDA 9b
Fruitnut, now that I think of it, I have a Zaiger dud in my garden. It's a pluot that is red in color and tastes worse than a plum. But my advice for Carla is "go for it". Worse case she'd have to top work it to something else, but that's what scion exchanges are for.

The tunnel sounds great, but it's just too much work for me. I might do a smaller tunnel over my peaches, now that would be awesome. All my peaches are only about 6 feet tall.

Re: Dave Wilson's...the real deal

Postby Ed of Somis » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:33 pm

Ed of Somis
Cloudforest Expert

Yes, I have had some dissappointing results from some of Dave Wilson's fruit trees. In my prior post...I never addressed anything regarding Mr. Zaiger. However, I have read many accounts from others of poor quality fruits in addition to his patented "Aprium" variety. As I stated before...for those of us in low-chill areas...we have not always been given the truth about chill requirements. That being said, Dave Wilson is generally very respected and has many wonderful varietals of fruit trees. My Katy Apricot (DW rated 200-300 hrs) is not the only low chill rated fruit tree I have axed because it failed to fruit in my area (300-350 hrs avg). I have read the Katy is a good apricot, however. The value of forums like this is you can often get accurate and un-biased reports from individuals that just enjoy gardening and growing fruit.

Postby fruitnut » Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:46 pm

fruitnut
Cloudforest Expert

Ed:

The biggest complaint I've heard about chilling hrs is that they give a number too high. They do that initially to forestall complaints like yours. Then as they gain experience the number usually comes down. Gold Kist is supposed to produce better than Katy in very mild winter areas.

Postby Ed of Somis » Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:17 pm

Ed of Somis
Cloudforest Expert

That is interesting to hear you say DW would give a chill hr which is too high for their trees. That would sure reduce the marketing value for the millions of people in Southern California. I did actually buy a Goldkist apricot last year. Interestingly, DW rates that as 300 hrs....and Katy as 200-300 hrs. http://www.davewilson.com/br40/br40_trees/apricots.html

Postby fruitnut » Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:53 pm

fruitnut
Cloudforest Expert

The thing you have to realize Ed, is that chilling hrs and all that goes with it is anything but an exact science. Your 300 chilling hrs any one year WILL be different from 300 hrs that occurs elsewhere or in another year. The only true test is to plant a particular variety and see how it does. That's why the numbers can change over time.

All the low chill stuff isn't going to be a winner everywhere. But Zaiger has made contributions.

Next

Return to Fruits, Rare Fruits, Orchards and Exotics

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:05 pm. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login