• facebook
  • myspace
  • reddit
  • stumble
  • twitter
  • rss
  • bookmark
  • email

A forum for growing fruits and rare tropical and temperate fruits, and tending our orchards

Does Dragon Fruit Need Direct Sun

Postby matt » Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:34 pm

matt

Climate Zone: 17
Is the limiting factor in Santa Cruz direct sun, accumulative heat, or consistently mild temps and soil moisture levels (greenhouse conditions)? In other words can I grow a pitaya cactus under a glass roof outside if it only gets direct sun in the summer, and ever expect it to fruit? I just bought a couple four foot plants from a dude in San Jose for a great bargain.

thanks,

matt

Re: Does Dragon Fruit Need Direct Sun

Postby RodneyS » Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:48 pm

RodneyS
Cloudforest Guru

Climate Zone: USDA Zone 11a
They should have direct sun. Mine have morning to early afternoon sun and are growing quite well since I received cuttings this past September. Also, well-draining soil
Last edited by RodneyS on Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Jason (palo alto) » Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:37 pm

Jason (palo alto)
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: Z17, 9b
I presume you are talking about the vining hylocereus type. Mine don't like full sun against my house, they start to sun scald when in direct sunlight above ~85F. Thus I can't keep them next trellised directly on the house. In Santa Cruz you are probably safe since the temperatures there never get too high but if you are in a particularly sunny spot partial sun is better. They do seem to like heat though.
They do like well drained soil but also moisture. Too much moisture and they will start to rot, something to consider if you get a lot of marine influence.

Postby DavidLJ48 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:47 am

DavidLJ48
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: Sunset Zone 14, USDA zone 9b
Full sun maybe if you are cooler, like along the coast or a Cloudforest like zone. But for inland and hotter desert like conditions, they need some partial shade to some degree. I have seen commercial grow houses in hotter areas, they grow them under white material. Mine burn under full day sun exposure. From what I have seen, their natural selection is to grow up inside of shrubs and etc, to use them for support and protection.

In predominately cool often foggy coastal area, I could see the need for a south facing wall, here they would cook, unless shaded some.

David
Sunset zone 14, USDA zone 9b

Postby kylie » Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:30 pm

kylie

Climate Zone: 6-7
RodneyS wrote:They should have direct sun. Mine have morning to early afternoon sun and are growing quite well since I received cuttings this past September. Also, well-draining soil

hey i was woundering if you have any dragon fruit seeds an if so what kind cuz im willing to trade of some kiwi seeds if you would like

Postby nullzero » Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:55 pm

nullzero
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: Sunset Zone 21
Like others have said, if you are inland avoid direct sun all day. If you are close to the ocean and experience frequent cloud cover and mild temps then full sun should be fine.

I grow the Dragon fruit in containers in between and next to deciduous trees like Pomegranates etc. I find the increased humidity (leaf perspiration) and the partial shade that pomegranates provide optimal. In the winter time, the dragon fruit is exposed to full sun (it never burns since the temps are lower and the sun is less intense).

Postby kylie » Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:17 pm

kylie

nullzero wrote:Like others have said, if you are inland avoid direct sun all day. If you are close to the ocean and experience frequent cloud cover and mild temps then full sun should be fine.

I grow the Dragon fruit in containers in between and next to deciduous trees like Pomegranates etc. I find the increased humidity (leaf perspiration) and the partial shade that pomegranates provide optimal. In the winter time, the dragon fruit is exposed to full sun (it never burns since the temps are lower and the sun is less intense).

can you spare some dragon fruit seeds if so what kind? i got kiwi seeds an stuff

Postby nullzero » Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:23 pm

nullzero
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: Sunset Zone 21
kylie wrote:
nullzero wrote:Like others have said, if you are inland avoid direct sun all day. If you are close to the ocean and experience frequent cloud cover and mild temps then full sun should be fine.

can you spare some dragon fruit seeds if so what kind? i got kiwi seeds an stuff

No dragon fruit seeds unfortunately. I have not had a fruit yet to save seed from. I am hoping to get fruit this year, being the second year I am growing the vines.

Postby dnt72800 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:06 pm

dnt72800

Climate Zone: 10
If you' re around torrance area...I have a few cuttings from yellow, purple haze, and rooted cuttings from my giant vietnamese i can give you..
cheers
DT

Postby kylie » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:30 pm

kylie

Sorry I don't no if Michigan
Is close to that area or not an I'm looking just dragon fruit I don't no if the purple haze sounds like a dragon fruit to me lol never heard of a yellow dragon fruit either I'm looking for the red with white inside or pink with red inside....

Next

Return to Fruits, Rare Fruits, Orchards and Exotics

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:21 am. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login