• facebook
  • myspace
  • reddit
  • stumble
  • twitter
  • rss
  • bookmark
  • email

A forum for growing rare fruits, edibles and Permaculture with a focus on tropicals.

Re: Fruit Thieves

Postby nullzero » Thu May 19, 2011 2:13 pm

nullzero
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: Sunset Zone 21
Could also surround the base of the tree, in a thicket of prickly pear (I would use Devil's Tongue or something similar). Then use a ladder to harvest.

Postby Jeff (Woodland) » Thu May 19, 2011 6:58 pm

Jeff (Woodland)
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: Sunset 8
At my last house my front yard pomegranite would be stripped clean before they were even ripe. I consitered all kinds of devious deterents to fruit theft, but never implemented them.

they included small trebble hooks and 2lb test fishing line...capscicum extract...etc.

Its maddening to have somthing you have grown your self stolen.

Postby George » Fri May 20, 2011 7:28 am

George
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: ssz 23
while fruit theft is a felony and tree damage is subject to triple damages a fruit tree growing near a walk might be considered an attractive nuisance. At that point deterrents which are harmful can be considered part of a booby trap. Use options which deter without harm.

Postby DavidLJ48 » Fri May 20, 2011 9:21 am

DavidLJ48
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: Sunset Zone 14, USDA zone 9b
George wrote:while fruit theft is a felony and tree damage is subject to triple damages a fruit tree growing near a walk might be considered an attractive nuisance. At that point deterrents which are harmful can be considered part of a booby trap. Use options which deter without harm.

George is right, harmful booby traps could end up, you going to jail. Years ago, it was ok, but todays laws, really a no no, even as mind pleasing and satisfying as they sound and feel, after getting ripped off. Today it seems that noting is safe, either they want it make money, to use or eat, that goes for everything. Nothing it seems today, is really safe and more. What every happened to common curiosity, honesty, fair play, rudeness and etc, all went out with the lights and when no one is looking, the world has become very narcissistic. So sad, when i find most people who deal with fruit and plants, so much the opposite.

So weird, and wrong, when most of us are willing to share some when they are ripe, if they would only ask, I do.

David
Sunset zone 14, USDA zone 9b

Postby Twan » Fri May 20, 2011 10:19 am

Twan
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: 10
That's the whole thing of it, David. What happened to honesty, and integrity? I think most of us would be more than happy to share, if we are only asked. It's so sad to see some people have no self respect, respect to others, and other people's property. Nothing can deter anyone who wants to steal, because it starts from the heart of that person. And we all know that no one can change anybody's heart or intention.

With all "plant" people, I have encountered nothing but generosity, kindness, caring, and fun too :) What a wonderful community to belong to! I am so honored to be "acquainted " with most of you :)

Postby DavidLJ48 » Fri May 20, 2011 3:41 pm

DavidLJ48
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: Sunset Zone 14, USDA zone 9b
Twan wrote:That's the whole thing of it, David. What happened to honesty, and integrity? I think most of us would be more than happy to share, if we are only asked. It's so sad to see some people have no self respect, respect to others, and other people's property. Nothing can deter anyone who wants to steal, because it starts from the heart of that person. And we all know that no one can change anybody's heart or intention.

With all "plant" people, I have encountered nothing but generosity, kindness, caring, and fun too :) What a wonderful community to belong to! I am so honored to be "acquainted " with most of you :)

Nice comment, I feel the same. I left one thing out, akin to the words we talked about is Reverence, it seems to be a word that ties them all together and then some, and found among even less, at least in our most supposed highly civilized societies and cultures..

Reverence ; the main definition online, and the one I would use in this case is, to show deep respect for someone or something, I would add to that, on a very personal and spiritual level. When one has Relevance on that level, one would not steel or hurt anything unnecessarily, often self sacrificing themselves first if possible. With Reverence for the Earth and our fellow man, no murders, no crimes, no polluting of the Earth and conscience wasting its resources and etc.

David
Sunset zone 14, USDA zone 9b

Postby Myakka » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:01 pm

Myakka

Climate Zone: 9
A friend with 30 acres of lychees has a solution. Plant jujube as a hedge around the fence line, no one is hungry enough to crawl through that.

Postby scottfsmith » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:07 pm

scottfsmith
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: MD 6B/7A
Another well-known trick is to put bitter fruits closest. So get some Tremletts Bitter cider apples, etc and put them by the street.

I am lucky my street is a dead-end, otherwise I would probably lose a lot since I am fully exposed by a street which wraps around our house on all sides.

Scott

Postby gnappi » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:16 pm

gnappi

Climate Zone: 10
I think this thread needs to be re-opened.

The entitlement mentality in this country has gotten out of hand.

Last year I found a woman with a new Volvo and her two little girls pulling my mulberry tree branches down to steal fruit. I simply asked if it was nice teaching her girls to trespass and steal. She said "We were just "TAKING" a few" And I asked what part of trespass and theft did she not understand. I then pulled my phone out, called the police and said "I have a trespasser and fruit thief here on my property please send an officer".

They got in the car and sped away.

My Mango trees get severely broken branches every year, now I deliberately abort all of the low hanging fruit so a fruit picker is the only way you can get fruit. Next they'll be bringing their own pickers, or climbing my trees. I can see them fall and sue ME!!!

Postby gregorycushing » Thu May 18, 2017 5:27 pm

gregorycushing

Climate Zone: 8B
I planted in the planting strip between the sidewalk and the street and completely plan to have foragers. I already invited people to try what is ripe and asked that they only take what they are personally going to eat now. I sure hope I do not get people that would actually strip a tree, that would not be fair to everyone. Violate my backyard...you might be fertilizer.

PreviousNext

Return to Rare Fruits, Edibles and Permaculture with a focus on tropicals

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:00 pm. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login