• facebook
  • myspace
  • reddit
  • stumble
  • twitter
  • rss
  • bookmark
  • email

A forum for growing rare fruits, edibles and Permaculture with a focus on tropicals.

Fruit Thieves

Postby padsfan » Wed May 18, 2011 3:12 pm

padsfan
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: Sunset 24
Two weeks ago I had all my avocados stolen off my hass and today I came home and all my reed avocados are gone. They obviously don't even know the season for reed LOL. Maybe it was a bad idea to put them on the side of the house (corner lot) but this is just wrong :evil:

What are your experiences with "unprotected" or front yard fruit trees and what are you doing to keep thieves away?

Re: Fruit Thieves

Postby nullzero » Wed May 18, 2011 4:42 pm

nullzero
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: Sunset Zone 21
Sorry to hear of your loss.. With the price of just a single Avocado ranging in the .75-2.00 range... its a hot commodity to steal. I suggest installing a fence around the tree. Having dogs in the yard with a fence or chain would be the best deterrent.

Postby Jason_AU » Wed May 18, 2011 5:17 pm

Jason_AU
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: USDA Zone 9
We had similar problems in the past, in my experience, it's most likely your neighbours. But as for stopping them, I don't know... razor wire :)? spikes in the ground?. They deserve all the above

Postby RodneyS » Wed May 18, 2011 5:25 pm

RodneyS
Cloudforest Guru

Climate Zone: USDA Zone 11a
Maybe planting some cacti will help deter thieves. A guard dog could help, too.

Postby Twan » Wed May 18, 2011 5:28 pm

Twan
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: 10
What a shame! that's all I can say. It doesn't matter how much you have to pay, stealing is stealing and it is wrong! It happened to me a few years back, not fruit but a big beautiful bamboo in a pot. Whoever that was must have a truck and must be strong enough to carry that away! That made me so mad!!!

Postby Axel » Wed May 18, 2011 6:34 pm

Axel
Site Admin

Climate Zone: 12b/H2 & 10b/S23
Happens in Santa Cruz all the time. The fruit ends up at the local health food store. The favorite items to steal are avocados, citrus and persimmons.

In Santa Cruz there are several people who go around and strip the trees. It's actually a felony to steal fruit, so if these guys get caught, it can have serious consequences. Luen Miller of Monterey Bay nursery once caught the guy red handed as he was stripping his persimmons.
Tropical gardening in both Kaua'i windward Sunset H2/USDA 12b and Fallbrook Sunset 23/USDA 10b.

Postby Brian » Wed May 18, 2011 10:34 pm

Brian
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: 9ish
Maybe post a sign saying they are sprayed with some toxic sounding chemical name . . .

Postby scottfsmith » Thu May 19, 2011 8:52 am

scottfsmith
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: MD 6B/7A
Consider a security camera, they are getting cheaper by the year. Some guy was stealing my newspapers and I was about to spring for a webcam when the problem cleared up.

Scott

Postby Axel » Thu May 19, 2011 9:19 am

Axel
Site Admin

Climate Zone: 12b/H2 & 10b/S23
Yes, the webcam is the way to go. Make sure it's HD, so that you can make out who is stealing your fruit.
Tropical gardening in both Kaua'i windward Sunset H2/USDA 12b and Fallbrook Sunset 23/USDA 10b.

Postby DavidLJ48 » Thu May 19, 2011 12:18 pm

DavidLJ48
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: Sunset Zone 14, USDA zone 9b
Wow, what happened is just crap. Axel, and I am glad in some areas it is a felony. I know with most thefts, it takes much less to steel from a farmer, to get grand theft, don't know what the current amount is. What is sad too, cops come even come to take your statement, when some one robs your home, you get to go down or file online.

I was talking to a lady online a few years ago, she was getting older and could not deal with the avocado thieving at her home in SoCal, so she sadly just had the tree cut down.

In my front yard, I have my wifes black lab, rat terrier, and now we have my step son's Italian Mastiff, nice dog, won't bite, loves to look mean and bark. Thinking of making a narrow dog run for them to my back yard, and just along my fence line for protection.

Last year, neighborhood kids, but not near to me, nearly stripped my pomegranate tree, the Grenada's were just barely ripe and the Wonderful were just turning red, but a month or more from being ripe. They even climbed the neighbors fence to pick the ones I let him eat, from over hanging limbs.

I did somewhat enjoy the neighbor behind me comment, he said one tall kid, was standing up on my fence and fell over into my yard and left in not too good of shape.

I have never had them bother any fruit until now, and realize that when my avocado trees size up, it could get worse in time. Though don't think fruit steeling to make money is a bit thing in the Central Valley, except from farmers, there is so much of it here.

I would go with a large mean looking junkyard dog, besides a HD camera. Here the Sheriffs tell us, dogs are a good idea.

David
Sunset zone 14, USDA zone 9b

Next

Return to Rare Fruits, Edibles and Permaculture with a focus on tropicals

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:38 pm. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login