• facebook
  • myspace
  • reddit
  • stumble
  • twitter
  • rss
  • bookmark
  • email

A forum for growing rare fruits, edibles and Permaculture with a focus on tropicals.

Fruits in Florida

Postby tsaephan » Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:15 pm

tsaephan
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: USDA zone 9
It's been a while since I've posted, but I am looking for any feedback on where to find tropical, rare, exotic fruits in southern Florida.

I will be visiting/vacationing in the Miami to Homestead area. I've seen a few farms from yelp that sells fruits such as mango, guava, etc. I'm from Sacramento, CA so I know I'm in for a treat.

Mainly looking for fresh coconuts, durian, jackfruit, mangosteen, etc.

Any input/ideas on specific areas, farms, shops, certain fruits I should/must try while there would be grwatly appreciated

Re: Fruits in Florida

Postby gnappi » Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:00 am

gnappi

Climate Zone: 10
South Florida is a pretty large area to cover. For starters, East or west coast?

Can you be more specific where and what you are / may be looking for?

Postby tsaephan » Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:02 pm

tsaephan
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: USDA zone 9
Thanks for your response but I'm already back from vacation. I did state that I will be in the miami/homestead area. Anyhow, I found a few fruit farms on yelp all around Homestead. Robert is Here had the most selection, though they were only a fruit stand and you couldn't tour or see the fruit trees. However, be careful, not everything they sell there is grown locally.

While heading to another fruit farm we saw a sign for a Fruit and Spice park in Homestead. This made the search for tropical/exotic fruit all the worth it.

They didn't let us pick fruits from the tree to eat but anything on the ground is fair game. They had a lot of different fruits, such as jackfruits, wax jambu, some relatives of wax jambu, bananas, a lot of mangos, and many others that I have not heard of. I ate more than enough fruits from the ground, luckily I brought a paring knife.

Postby badman62 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:21 pm

badman62
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: 9b
damn, you just reminded me.
every year i promise myself i will go to the Mango fest
and every year i forget until its too late.

http://www.fairchildgarden.org/events-c ... o-festival

:cry:

Postby gnappi » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:13 pm

gnappi

Climate Zone: 10
tsaephan wrote:Thanks for your response but I'm already back from vacation. I did state that I will be in the miami/homestead area.

Well, the way "I" read it is you will be staying at X, but wanted to know about locations in "Y"

When a poster gives a BROAD geographic area I think anyone would think you plan on using X as a home base and Y as a day trip.

Now if you specified X and were only looking for X locations you should have left out "South Florida"

I hope you got what you wanted.

PS. You still did not mention what you were looking for, future posters be aware that what you ask for will be easier to reply to if you do give an idea what you want.

Return to Rare Fruits, Edibles and Permaculture with a focus on tropicals

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:03 am. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login