• facebook
  • myspace
  • reddit
  • stumble
  • twitter
  • rss
  • bookmark
  • email

A forum for growing fruits and rare tropical and temperate fruits, and tending our orchards

Goldenrod Crab Spider

Postby Axel » Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:30 pm

Axel
Site Admin

Climate Zone: sunset 15/USDA 9b
Dan, a fellow Cloudforest member came and visited today and managed to spot a Goldenrod Crab Spider on one of my apple trees. Just a few days ago, hundreds of little crab spiders hatched under the leaf of another of my apple trees.

I've never seen them before, now they're all over the garden. I think it's a welcome bug, what do you guys think?

Re: Goldenrod Crab Spider

Postby Brian » Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:53 pm

Brian
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: 9ish
I love these. Actually found one on a matching flower before.

The jumping spiders I like better for pest control as they actively hunt and clear the leaves.

Postby DanMomii » Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:38 pm

DanMomii

Climate Zone: 16
Hi Axel,

I'm glad you identified that spider and that it seems to be a native species. Like I said I've seen the lighter color variant on lighter colored flowers, but I don't think I've seen a yellow one. Now I'm hunting around in my garden to see if I can find any.

On another note, the two seedling cherimoyas you gave me are doing fine, so thanks again. Also the several Inca Red Cherimoyas you gave me were not quite ripe and thus not very sweet. Can't wait to taste a fully ripe one!

I also stopped by and checked out the Bonny Doon Avocado in front of the tasting room. It is a really nice looking tree, it was in full bloom, but I didn't see any fruit on it. I didn't look very well though. Anyway I plan on getting some cuttings from the tree later and then grafting them when I purchase some Parafilm.

Dan

Postby Axel » Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:15 am

Axel
Site Admin

Climate Zone: sunset 15/USDA 9b
Bonny doon is easy to graft, all my grafts of it have succeeded.

The inca red fruit you got were definitely not ripe. The weather has been too cold, as soon as Spring arrives they will ripen.

Postby DanMomii » Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:14 am

DanMomii

Climate Zone: 16
That's good to hear that the Bonny Doon is easy to graft.

Let me know when the cherimoyas are ripe. Thanks.

Dan

Return to Fruits, Rare Fruits, Orchards and Exotics

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:23 pm. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login