• facebook
  • myspace
  • reddit
  • stumble
  • twitter
  • rss
  • bookmark
  • email

A forum for growing rare fruits, edibles and Permaculture with a focus on tropicals.

Gone with the Wind

Postby Merbert » Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:40 pm

Merbert
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: USDA zone 9B
We are experiencing gale winds here in Orinda. One greenhouse is destroyed and its contents a shambles. One is holding on. Even trees under the eaves are taking a beating. I saw a 5-gallon seedling avocado pick up and travel across the yard.

Re: Gone with the Wind

Postby So_Cal_Mike » Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:35 pm

So_Cal_Mike
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: Sunset Zone 21 - USDA Zone 10a
Ouch!

My tent style greenhouse collapsed in the rain and wind in the never-ending rain storm last week, so I feel your pain!

My Jakfruit seedlings are Homeless. :shock:
Sunset Zone: 21 • USDA Zone: 10a • AHS Heat Zone: 6-7

Postby Axel » Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:55 pm

Axel
Site Admin

Climate Zone: 12b/H2 & 10b/S23
Merbert, I was out of town for the windstorm; but it must have been very windy here. One of my neighbor's tree fell over, and roadways were covered with mud and debris.

What a strange Winter it is.
Tropical gardening in both Kaua'i windward Sunset H2/USDA 12b and Fallbrook Sunset 23/USDA 10b.

Postby Ethan » Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:46 am

Ethan
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: 9/9
Ouch Merbert and Mike, we had some serious wind here, knocked over my tallest pitogo banana plant, other than that just some inconveniences. A few things blown over a few plastic tarps needing to be reattached. The worst was the combo of the wind with the cold, the other night the wind caused two of my GH panels to open slightly allowing all the warm air to escape. No where near as bad as you poor guys but still frustrating.

a strange winter indeed,
-Ethan

Postby Twan » Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:14 pm

Twan
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: 10
So sorry, Merbert, as I know how much time and effort you put into that green house. We had some wind here, knocked down some of my plants in the 15 gallon pots, but nothing was uprooted, which we are so thankful. Hope that there will be no more strong wind.

Return to Rare Fruits, Edibles and Permaculture with a focus on tropicals

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:40 pm. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login