• facebook
  • myspace
  • reddit
  • stumble
  • twitter
  • rss
  • bookmark
  • email

A forum for growing fruits and rare tropical and temperate fruits, and tending our orchards

Grafting autumn olive (elaeagnus umbellata)

Postby Ethan » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:33 pm

Ethan
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: 9/9
I'm guessing autumn olive (elaeagnus umbellata) takes a cross pollinator, I get tons of little flowers but not a single fruit? My goumi (e. multiflora) on the other hand blooms like crazy and sets fruit. So I guess I need to graft onto my autumn olive tree. Any tips on what type of graft and anyone have bud wood from a variety other than Ruby (from Burnt Ridge) they'd be willing to share/trade?

thank you,
-Ethan

Re: Grafting autumn olive (elaeagnus umbellata)

Postby John S » Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:38 pm

John S
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: USDA8
Hi Ethan,
I had the same experience. Burnt Ridge sells Ruby and the species. With both, you have pollination. The species costs like $3. You can grow it next to it until it's big enough, and then graft.
Alternatively, I could send you a scion if you want. Email me at skyjs@yahoo.com
Thanks
John S
PDX OR

Re: Grafting autumn olive (elaeagnus umbellata)

Postby Ethan » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:42 pm

Ethan
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: 9/9
Thank you John, I'll drop you an email, I dont really have space next to it to grow another tree so I'll have to give grafting a try. I believe there is a gent on this board that has multiple cvs. of autumn olive but my memory could be wrong.

thanks again,
-Ethan

Return to Fruits, Rare Fruits, Orchards and Exotics

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:25 am. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login