• facebook
  • myspace
  • reddit
  • stumble
  • twitter
  • rss
  • bookmark
  • email

A forum for growing fruits and rare tropical and temperate fruits, and tending our orchards

Guamúchil (Pithecellobium dulce)

Postby Jason (palo alto) » Thu May 05, 2011 1:52 pm

Jason (palo alto)
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: Z17, 9b
I was at a local nursery today and to my surprise they had Guamúchil (Pithecellobium dulce) for sale (aka Madras Thorn, Manila Tamarind) from La Verne nursery. I've never seen this sold anywhere before and want to know if anyone has ever eaten, grown, killed or wanted Guamúchil?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pithecellobium_dulce
http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/duke_energy/Pithecellobium_dulce.html

For sale for $39.99 at Summerwinds Nursery in Mountain View:
(its the tall skinny tree in the front with small leaves)

I'm probably going to go and buy it tonight because I can't resist new fruits. The plant tag said hardy to 32F but I never trust the tags, because we all know they are always correct :roll:

Re: Guamúchil (Pithecellobium dulce)

Postby Jack, Nipomo » Thu May 05, 2011 2:27 pm

Jack, Nipomo
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: 17
Very common tree in Mexico, fluff surrounding seeds is sweet and eaten mostly by children. I have grown and lost it several times. Have it growing now in a pot. I saw a mature tree near Lompoc growing well. I see many in the arroyos in Baja California. Don't know its true hardiness.

Postby Axel » Thu May 05, 2011 2:31 pm

Axel
Site Admin

Climate Zone: sunset 15/USDA 9b
Jack, what did you loose yours to? Freezes?

Postby nullzero » Thu May 05, 2011 2:45 pm

nullzero
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: Sunset Zone 21
Another tree I need to look out for now lol. Guys over at La Verne are really stepping it up. I purchased a wonderful looking Goji from Lowes about a week ago (La Verne grown).

Postby Jason (palo alto) » Thu May 05, 2011 4:55 pm

Jason (palo alto)
Cloudforest Expert

Yeah, La Verne is really impressing me these days with pushing subtropical stuff up to Northern California. They also had 'Elite Gold' pineapples, Opuntia, Goji berries and a few kinds of Dragon Fruit. I'm frequently seeing lemon, strawberry and various tropical guavas at all the local nurseries.
I wish Home Depot or Lowes had the Guamúchil because they also carry La Verne plants and their 5 gallon plants right now are only $19.99.

Postby Jack, Nipomo » Thu May 05, 2011 5:48 pm

Jack, Nipomo
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: 17
Axel, lost them due to inattention and freezes. They were so common down in Mexico I didn't value them. We'll try more this time.

Jack

Postby Brian » Thu May 05, 2011 10:31 pm

Brian
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: 9ish
Do they grow well in Northern CA? In theory? I mean with cooler nights, etc.

I'm really tempted to get one this weekend . . .

Also, will one fruit? Just asking because some of those been things have male/female plants.

Postby Jason (palo alto) » Wed May 11, 2011 1:08 pm

Jason (palo alto)
Cloudforest Expert

I picked one up over the weekend. When I got home my neighbor was out and asked what had. He took one look at it and got really excited. I guess in his villiage in Mexico they are growing everywhere and there are red, pink and white podded varieties. I didn't probe him too much on what the flavor is but he said he loves eating the pods.
I told him to bring back seeds on his next trip to Mexico.

Its always amazing at the fruit I think nobody has heard of but when I mention to my neighbors they grew up with them. White Sapote brought the same level of excitement to him.

Postby Brian » Wed May 11, 2011 1:11 pm

Brian
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: 9ish
I got one too. Hopefully it does well for me.

Postby rudder » Fri May 13, 2011 8:04 am

rudder
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: 10a
How did I miss that one through my research?! Very drought hardy. Looks like it's a highly selective nodulator though. I wouldn't mind giving it a go from seed.

It kills me that La Verne always creates the weakest trees. They have them so close together in the nursery that they always concentrate vertical growth, so when you take them home they soon become a sprawling ground cover with the first wind. I can tell in that picture that all those trees are just waiting to flop over.

I had a lemon guava I bought from them a while back. I slowly removed the ties, then had the plant standing on its own for at least six months. We got some huge winds a few weeks back, and the lemon guava was sideways along the ground. DOH!

Next

Return to Fruits, Rare Fruits, Orchards and Exotics

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:28 pm. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login