• facebook
  • myspace
  • reddit
  • stumble
  • twitter
  • rss
  • bookmark
  • email

A forum for growing fruits and rare tropical and temperate fruits, and tending our orchards

Re: Hard Freeze Warning, Central Valley Dec 23 - 24

Postby mlar » Sat Dec 24, 2011 9:32 am

mlar
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: Sunset 14/USDA 9B
Low this morning was 25.6F (23F at the airport). Coldest night I have experienced since moving here. According to forecast, tomorrow morning will be even colder. For those keeping count, we are at 19 nights at freezing or below, one day from the 35 year record.

Postby mlar » Sat Dec 24, 2011 9:40 am

mlar
Cloudforest Expert

...HARD FREEZE WARNING NOW IN EFFECT UNTIL 9 AM PST SUNDAY...

THE HARD FREEZE WARNING EXTENDED FOR ANOTHER NIGHT AND IS NOW IN
EFFECT UNTIL 9 AM PST SUNDAY.

* TEMPERATURE: RANGE FROM 24 TO 28 ACROSS THE VALLEY FLOOR AND
DELTA FOR 3 TO 5 HOURS THIS MORNING. SLIGHTLY WARMER SUNDAY
MORNING BUT STILL LIKELY TO SEE TEMPERATURES BELOW 29 FOR
SEVERAL HOURS ACROSS THE VALLEY FLOOR.

* LOCATIONS INCLUDE:
CHICO...REDDING...STOCKTON...MODESTO...VACAVILLE.

* IMPACTS: UNINSULATED PIPING COULD BURST DUE TO FREEZING
WATER. SENSITIVE VEGETATION COULD DIE DUE TO HARD FREEZE.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A HARD FREEZE WARNING MEANS SUB-FREEZING TEMPERATURES ARE
IMMINENT OR HIGHLY LIKELY. THESE CONDITIONS WILL KILL CROPS AND
OTHER SENSITIVE VEGETATION. SHELTER ALL SENSITIVE ANIMALS OR
PETS.

&&

Postby harveyc » Sat Dec 24, 2011 10:31 am

harveyc
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: USDA9b Sunset14
Strange, here, it was 34.5 or so by 9pm and still about the same at 2:30am when I finally went to bed (working on a Christmas gift for my dad) and it was 35 when I finally got up at 9. I doubt the low got much lower than 34 but I don't really know for sure. There's still heavy frost on the garage roof in the shadows. I thought I'd need to do some protective work last night (have done nothing thus far) but got by okay, I think.

Postby DavidLJ48 » Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:19 pm

DavidLJ48
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: Sunset Zone 14, USDA zone 9b
Mid night, Saturday morning, 29F, that was somewhat of a surprise, figured it would be more like Friday morning, 32F or higher, must of had less heat in everything. Because it was a nice warm day, no breeze at all, and humidity at midnight was still 75%.

It was high 29F at midnight, low 29F at 2 a.m. and woke to a low of 26F this Saturday morning. But damage still does not look too bad, again, thankful for the sunny days rebuilding some of the heat in everything. I think that is one of the differences between our Zone ratings and back east and why some plant ratings for there, don't work here, all about duration of lows.

David
Sunset zone 14, USDA zone 9b

Postby mlar » Sun Dec 25, 2011 10:08 am

mlar
Cloudforest Expert

The evening and early night was not as cold as the night before, a couple of degrees warmer. Unfortunately the temperatures started dropping at bit earlier at night (around 3am instead of 4am), so we ended up getting colder than the night before anyway. Our low was 25.2F, just 0.4F lower than the night before. Oddly enough, the airport was warmer at 26F. We are now tied with 1990 on the number of freezing days (20 days).

Postby DavidLJ48 » Sun Dec 25, 2011 1:46 pm

DavidLJ48
Cloudforest Expert

mlar

Hi,

It is nice to compare notes with someone just up the road and down the hill some from me.

I was a bit warmer last night, 34F at midnight, 33 at 1 p.m, and this morning was a degree warmer at 28F, then the preceding morning of 27F I guess that is a relief. I am just glad we are having sunny days, damage would be far more damaging, if we had our usual winter fog type weather blocking the sun.

I have observed over the decades that I have live in this area, that warm and cold pots and banana belts and etc, so easily change, affected by air flow direction, no air flow or humidity, fog and etc.

Lets us hope this changes soon and we get rain rain and warm storm fronts moving in until it warms in spring.

David

Postby mlar » Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:04 am

mlar
Cloudforest Expert

Last night, lows stayed around 30F until 6:30am and then it rapidly dropped to 27.4F. Airport logged a low of 25F. No sign of damage though because there is nothing left to damage! :)

Postby harveyc » Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:22 am

harveyc
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: USDA9b Sunset14
mlar, is there a way (link) others can access your weather station through Wunderground? You're not that far from me and I'd like to have it to compare to others around here since they sometimes seem "off".

Postby mlar » Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:38 am

mlar
Cloudforest Expert

harveyc wrote:mlar, is there a way (link) others can access your weather station through Wunderground? You're not that far from me and I'd like to have it to compare to others around here since they sometimes seem "off".

These are my stations (KCALATHR8 being the more accurate one),

http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KCALATHR8
http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KCALATHR6

Postby DavidLJ48 » Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:50 am

DavidLJ48
Cloudforest Expert

mlar wrote:Last night, lows stayed around 30F until 6:30am and then it rapidly dropped to 27.4F. Airport logged a low of 25F. No sign of damage though because there is nothing left to damage! :)

I am surprised I think, from the way yesterday went and warm as it was last night, and from weather reports, thought it was only going to get down to low 30s and at least no more then 30F. But just checking, I see I dropped to like 27 to 27.5, which is what you recorded. I was not out early, so don't know what happened here.

I will say, a sudden temp drop of a few degrees for a very brief period, just as the sun first rises is not unusual, growing up in farming, it was considered common knowledge among farmers. Just as the sun comes up, it begins to cause evaporation, and the evaporation, acts like a Swamp Evaporative cooler, which can suddenly drop the temp for a brief time, until the sun actually warms things up. I remember one time visiting my wifes parents in Vegas one summer. It was like 114F or so, very dry air, and a stiff breeze. We went swimming and I almost froze to death. Coming out of the water with a wet body, a strong breeze felt like it was in the 20s or colder, on a harsh winter day. The air was so dry and with the sun evaporating the water from my body so fast, it was actually cooling my body super fast, I hope that made sense.

Some farm crops or blooms can be damaged in that brief 30 minute window, if they have been at near critical already. I remember some not applying frost protection measures, who lost part or all of thier crops, from not initiating the sudden last sunrise drop, under certain conditions, they were ok, until the sudden sunrise drop, for 30 to 40 minutes or so.

David

PreviousNext

Return to Fruits, Rare Fruits, Orchards and Exotics

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:20 pm. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login