• facebook
  • myspace
  • reddit
  • stumble
  • twitter
  • rss
  • bookmark
  • email

A forum for growing fruits and rare tropical and temperate fruits, and tending our orchards

Jacaranda

Postby bailenat000 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:43 am

bailenat000

Climate Zone: 8b
So i was wondering if anyone has grown a jacaranda in the Portland area. I live across the river and even further west than the airport. we live on a south facing slope with excelent drainage. the temperatures rarely get below 25 degrees and according to sunset the roots are slightly hardier than that. sunset rates them at desert zone 12 which is low to mid 20's and the roots are hardy (supposedly) to upper teens for breif periods. we rarely experience the east winds from the gorge and when we do they are pretty mild. the coldest temperature we have recordeed was 17 degrees in the 2010/11 winter when we had that temperature in both november and february which even killed daffodils back. last winter we had 4 frosts in december and that was it with a low of 30. do you think it is possible here? I've heard they are hardy in Brookings but need more heat to flower, we have that heat and almost Brooking temperatures in the winter.
Nathan

Re: Jacaranda

Postby Axel » Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:42 pm

Axel
Site Admin

Climate Zone: sunset 15/USDA 9b
Jacarandas would most certainly flower in the Portland area thanks to the Summer heat, but I really doubt you would get them through the Winter for more than 4-5 years unless you provide significant protection. There is a difference between the duration of cold you get in Portland and what we get in California. A Portland-style severe cold snap where it doesn't go above freezing during the day would pretty much kill the tree.

But you could wrap the tree with Xmas lights and protect the roots, and you may get it through the colder Winters that way. Part of the fun is experimenting. I grow an ice cream bean between two buildings, it's most definitely not supposed to grow here, but I have the right spot for it. If you have a good spot where you are, by all means, do it. Just remember that the soil needs to stay above freezing and the tree itself should not be exposed to less than 25F for extended periods of time.

Return to Fruits, Rare Fruits, Orchards and Exotics

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:45 pm. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login