• facebook
  • myspace
  • reddit
  • stumble
  • twitter
  • rss
  • bookmark
  • email

A forum for growing rare fruits, edibles and Permaculture with a focus on tropicals.

Re: Jujube "suckers"

Postby badman62 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:58 am

badman62
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: 9b
"Badman62, this is Twan again. I will be out of the country for three weeks, starting next week. So if I don't respond to you right away, please understand. I'll try to remember to reply to you when I get back, if you PM me. Sorry about that."

--

I don't have any more space in my yard for a trade. You are welcome to get the honey jar if you want to dig it up. I live south of San Diego, not far from the border to Mexico. PM me if you want to take the tree.

Hey Twan
thanks much for the offer.
I am in New Orleans Louisiana.
quite a drive :)
dont think i will get there anytime soon.

thanks anyway

Postby Twan » Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:42 pm

Twan
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: 10
What do you mean "quite a drive" from New Orleans, Louisiana to San Diego, California? Of course, just kidding. I wish you lived nearby. Oh well, maybe one of these days, if you have a chance to be in San Diego, maybe you can come and visit my garden.

Postby sferber » Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:16 pm

sferber

Climate Zone: 10a
If you still have suckers available, I would love to take some off of your hands. Thanks, Shayne

Postby Twan » Sun May 21, 2017 8:07 pm

Twan
Cloudforest Expert

Oh Shayne,

So very sorry that I did not reply to you sooner :( I haven't visited this site for a few months. I gave away two jujube trees. I just found some more suckers, so if you are interested, send me an email at jtaehumphrey@juno.com Then we can arrange time for you to come and dig them up.

Sorry again for the delay :-(

Postby DavidLJ48 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:18 am

DavidLJ48
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: Sunset Zone 14, USDA zone 9b
I have not followed this thread all of the way, but was the mother plant rooted stock or grafted. Some are grafted, and that means the rootstock is normally a more wild strain that has no real fruit value and suckers like crazy and is very thorny.

Just curious.
Sunset zone 14, USDA zone 9b

Postby Twan » Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:58 pm

Twan
Cloudforest Expert

Hello David,
I haven't followed this blog as often as before, so I didn't see your question until now. The mother plant is grafted. There are still some suckers popping up even 20 feet away, after the mother plants were dug and gotten rid of. I have to keep an eye out and get rid of the suckers as I see them.

Previous

Return to Rare Fruits, Edibles and Permaculture with a focus on tropicals

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:35 pm. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login