• facebook
  • myspace
  • reddit
  • stumble
  • twitter
  • rss
  • bookmark
  • email

A forum for growing fruits and rare tropical and temperate fruits, and tending our orchards

macadamia seedlings

Postby ellen in berkeley » Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:01 am

ellen in berkeley
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: sunset 17, ecoregion 11.1.1
Hi everyone-
Years ago I did some reading and concluded that macadamia tetraphylla is more suited to bay area conditions than the more commonly seen macadamia integrifolia. So I decided I wanted to plant m. tetraphylla, but could only find hybrids for sale or for sharing.
Recently in a discussion here on the cloudforest I found that Jack is growing tetraphylla and was willing to send me seeds. The pollen is undefined, but the mother trees were tetraphylla. And Jack says that most of the seedlings he has grown bear nuts as good as the cultivars.
So I put the seeds Jack sent me into pots and left two of the pots in the shade and one in the sun. Of course, I may have made a mistake here, as Jason says tetraphylla wants sandy soil, and mine is clay. But I want to try anyway.
The seeds in the sun have sprouted. A few seeds in one of the pots in the shade have sprouted. I have moved the two shade pots into the sun to get more warmth to encourage sprouting. And I have moved the sprouted pot into the shade, to avoid sunburn on the seedlings.
So now I have over two dozen macadamia tetraphylla seedlings. They're deep purple and very cute. There's no way I can plant even a small portion of these trees. If you want macadamia trees you are welcome to come transplant some, either now, before the tap root hits the bottom of the pot, or later when they are bigger.

Re: macadamia seedlings

Postby Jack, Nipomo » Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:52 am

Jack, Nipomo
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: 17
Well, that didn't take long. Congratulations. Fresh seed will germinate quickly. I use water pressure to flush out the soil in a pot with many seedlings and then separate the little guys into their own pot, course that's with very sandy soil. I have many seedlings that are mature and the size and quality of the nuts is equal to the grafted ones. Then again, grafting is easy if the scionwood is prepared in advance.

Keep us posted.

Postby Brian » Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:31 pm

Brian
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: 9ish
I'd love to try one or two if you do have extras.

I stupidly put those Black Sapotes out in the Jan warm up. They did fine at first, but I left them out to long and ended up looseing two quickly, and one slowly. The remaining two are going strong though or as strong as can be expected in NorCal. (i.e. in containers ~ slightly over a foot) If I got a warm summer like I used to I'd get more growth.

Postby ellen in berkeley » Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:12 pm

ellen in berkeley
Cloudforest Expert

Brian I think you selected for hardiness. Early selection means less effort wasted on the less optimal trees.
Anyway, get in touch when you're going to be down this way, and we'll dig up a few.

Postby Brian » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:30 pm

Brian
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: 9ish
Do you want to try a White Sapote. I found three stunted ones in cups that were under my Redwood, repotted them up and they seem to be coming back great now. Would do well in Berkeley if they survived Concord..

Postby ellen in berkeley » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:36 pm

ellen in berkeley
Cloudforest Expert

i think i still have a sapote you gave me a couple of years ago, and no room to plant it out. but thanks.

Postby Ashok » Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:33 pm

Ashok
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: Sunset Zone 14, USDA Zone 9b
I got some seedlings through Brian. I've already thanked him, but thanks to you, Ellen, for sprouting them out, and thanks to you, Jack, for supplying the seeds!

For those of you who haven't visited his garden in Nipomo, Jack has what amounts to a mini-forest of thriving macadamia trees, all or most of which seem to drop vast quantities of nuts. He is the only person whom I have met or heard of who actually appears to have more macadamia nuts than he knows what to do with. As far as problems go, that is one that I wouldn't mind dealing with myself!

Postby ellen in berkeley » Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:27 pm

ellen in berkeley
Cloudforest Expert

well ashok maybe you'll have that problem in a few years! i hope so. though Ray says the rodents get them all...

Postby Ashok » Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:56 pm

Ashok
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: Sunset Zone 14, USDA Zone 9b
Ellen,

Yeah, I know that he's been fighting the squirrels for years and years.

I need to devise a strategy for smiting the local population. I have heard that the Kania trap is an effective, if somewhat pricey, tool.

Postby Jason_AU » Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:40 am

Jason_AU
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: USDA Zone 9
Surely if a parrot can't get in a well wrapped net a squirrel can't either? or are they able and willing to bite through it?. The most memorable thing about the USA is the squirrels for sure so I wouldn't be using traps for the sake of some nuts from my perspective

Next

Return to Fruits, Rare Fruits, Orchards and Exotics

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:29 pm. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login