• facebook
  • myspace
  • reddit
  • stumble
  • twitter
  • rss
  • bookmark
  • email

A forum for growing fruits and rare tropical and temperate fruits, and tending our orchards

Most productive

Postby George » Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:46 pm

George
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: ssz 23
Ok, so we have all gone on the rant about pests, disease and loss of fruit due to weather etc.
What, in your area would be the absolutely most productive plant to grow?
I am in San Diego zone 23 (this year more like 24 so far). IMHO it would be tomatoes both in terms of productivity and work:return ratio and with the prices of tomatoes the way they have been definitely a good economic choice.
Tree fruit it would likely be Avocado....water cost not considered.

George

Re: Most productive

Postby So_Cal_Mike » Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:40 pm

So_Cal_Mike
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: Sunset Zone 21 - USDA Zone 10a
I would say I get the most fruit off my Minneola Tangelo... it is ridiculously productive.
Though my Jujube's are still to young to tell yet for sure... it is looking like they may be in the running. I also get a massive amount of Loquats, even considering what the squirrels destroy and devour.
Sunset Zone: 21 • USDA Zone: 10a • AHS Heat Zone: 6-7

Postby Axel » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:16 pm

Axel
Site Admin

Climate Zone: sunset 15/USDA 9b
Of course it would be apples - the whole area is a commercial apple production area for obvious reasons, almost perfect apple ripening climate. They bear like crazy around here. That's also why I grow them. I figured at least one of my crops should be what grows and produces the best around here.

I've had good luck with several varieties of pears as well, but it's somewhat hit and miss, as compared to apples.

Cherries would be pretty high on the list if it wasn't for the cracking problem we get, and the japanese fruit fly that ruins the crops.

Postby jim » Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:21 am

jim
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: sunset Z6, USDA 8b
For fruit, it would far and away be the Quince. My one tree (Smyrna) produces as much fruit as my three apple trees put together. Probably the most valuable monetarily per square foot would be the caneberries, or perhaps the blueberries, both of which are loaded this year.

Most productive vegetable are potatoes, followed by tomatoes and squash. Most valuable would be either tomatoes or tobacco.

Postby nullzero » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:01 am

nullzero
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: Sunset Zone 21
Most productive fruits for me in containers have been; Kiwano, Anna apple, Bonanza peach, Bearss Lime. Most productive in ground has been Hass avocado. Top recommendation for productive fruit goes to the Kiwano, love the shelf life of the fruit as well.

Postby John S » Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:32 pm

John S
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: USDA8
Great topic. I would say 1/quince, 2/apples or Asian pears, although cherries have been 5.83 a pound and blueberries very expensive too, so that could equate.
John S
PDX OR

Postby pachinko799 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:20 pm

pachinko799

Climate Zone: sunset zone 17
The most productive for me so far are kishu mandarins, bearss limes, lemon/strawberry guava, and purple passion fruit.

Trent
San Mateo

Postby juniorpilot » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:59 pm

juniorpilot

Climate Zone: Sunset 20 USDA 10
Good subject.

In the trees, the most productive are Green Gage plum. Tons of fruit every year reliably. Same with Flavor Grenade pluot. Sets fruit like crazy. I have to thin 80% of the little pluots off. Citrus and avocado do really well too, but are prone to alternate year bearing if I let a tree bear too much fruit in any given year.

In the veggie garden, it would be tomatoes and squashes. (all cucurbits)

Postby John S » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:58 am

John S
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: USDA8
I forgot pawpaws, which make an amazing quantity, and Asian plums, which break limbs every year (Hollywood variety), although others do too.
John S
PDX OR

Postby fmeng » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:33 am

fmeng

Climate Zone: USDA zone 8b
I think in Temecula zone 8b, stone fruit type plants do quite well. My peach tree has been fruiting quite well the last 3 years or so. Other than that my lemon tree fruits quite well too. None of my other trees ever have a lot of fruit on them.

Franklin
Temecula

Next

Return to Fruits, Rare Fruits, Orchards and Exotics

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:19 pm. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login