• facebook
  • myspace
  • reddit
  • stumble
  • twitter
  • rss
  • bookmark
  • email

A forum for growing rare fruits, edibles and Permaculture with a focus on tropicals.

Re: New mango varieties: Some preliminary observations

Postby Axel » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:55 am

Axel
Site Admin

Climate Zone: 12b/H2 & 10b/S23
Here's an update from my mainland mangoes in Fallbrook. I planted two each of pineapple and antonio. Both pineapple specimens are very healthy. But one of the antonios died, looks like weak rootstock to me. I doubt they are grafted onto terpentine rootstock, which would be the far more robust and cold tolerant rootstock for California.

I also planted a glenn, keitt, 2022, a grafted autulfo and an emerich, and all are doing well, but I have to say the California selections including the emerich, pineapple and antonio are doing great. I actually think these might be good selections for my windward Hawaii locations since they seem more fungus resistant. Right now I am mainly growing nam doc in Hawaii, but I plan on adding other varieties to my Hawaii gardens.
Tropical gardening in both Kaua'i windward Sunset H2/USDA 12b and Fallbrook Sunset 23/USDA 10b.

Re: New mango varieties: Some preliminary observations

Postby zone 9 in Brazil » Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:22 pm

zone 9 in Brazil

Climate Zone: USDA zone 9B
Axel, has any newer varieties from Zill shown anthracnose resistance in Hawaii? Several of his new ones are reported to be resistant in FL, but I think Kauai would be the real test. Which varieties on Kauai have shown to be most anthracnose resistant?

Marc

Previous

Return to Rare Fruits, Edibles and Permaculture with a focus on tropicals

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:31 pm. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login