• facebook
  • myspace
  • reddit
  • stumble
  • twitter
  • rss
  • bookmark
  • email

A forum for growing rare fruits, edibles and Permaculture with a focus on tropicals.

New mango varieties: Some preliminary observations

Postby Axel » Sun May 22, 2016 7:26 pm

Axel
Site Admin

Climate Zone: 12b/H2 & 10b/S23
In addition to Keitt, glenn and ataulfo, I grow several trees of both antonio and pineapple. So far, there's a pretty stark contrast between the tropical mangoes and the mangoes bred for California. All of Tim Thompson's trees have had much more robust blooms that show ZERO sign of anthracnose. No matter what hit those blooms, they remained looking perfect. The fruit set on all the mangoes is about the same, but on the tropical mangoes any unfertilized bloom turns black. On the California mangoes, the blooms just eventually fall off.

It's clear that these mangoes were selected to thrive in Southern California's conditions. That alone makes them worth trying to grow. They should be much more reliable producers even if they don't have any special hardiness.
Tropical gardening in both Kaua'i windward Sunset H2/USDA 12b and Fallbrook Sunset 23/USDA 10b.

Re: New mango varieties: Some preliminary observations

Postby Ben » Mon May 23, 2016 2:28 am

Ben
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: NZ Z10
Sounds great Axel! The next question is how does the taste compare with other cv.s?

Is anyone growing the fruit commercially? It is possible to import fruit to NZ, I'd love to try them some time.

Postby Axel » Mon May 23, 2016 9:40 am

Axel
Site Admin

Ben, I tasted tequilla sunrise, it was good, very fragrant and similar to a keitt but a bit smaller. But maybe it's not a fair comparison to commercial cultivars. From talking to some of the local small scale commercial tropical fruit growers in North San Diego County, I've gathered that when there is a good harvest, ANY locally grown mango is simply out of this world!!!

Ben wrote:Sounds great Axel! The next question is how does the taste compare with other cv.s?

Is anyone growing the fruit commercially? It is possible to import fruit to NZ, I'd love to try them some time.
Tropical gardening in both Kaua'i windward Sunset H2/USDA 12b and Fallbrook Sunset 23/USDA 10b.

Postby joehewitt » Mon May 23, 2016 1:06 pm

joehewitt

Climate Zone: USDA 9b, Sunset 16
Axel, that's great news. Tim likes to talk about how he selected for powdery mildew resistance, but I've never heard him talk about anthracnose. If it holds up that would be a huge selling point for his trees even outside California.

Postby Axel » Mon May 23, 2016 7:50 pm

Axel
Site Admin

joehewitt wrote:Axel, that's great news. Tim likes to talk about how he selected for powdery mildew resistance, but I've never heard him talk about anthracnose. If it holds up that would be a huge selling point for his trees even outside California.

Well, I would not be surprised if powdery mildew resistance correlated with anthracnose resistance. If these do well in Fallbrook I will want to try them on Kauai. Our rainy weather there is a challenge for mangoes.

Tom's varieties are definitely more tolerant of Southern California's miserable May and June gloom. Today I inspected some more and the Florida varieties are actually dropping a lot more fruit than his varieties. Also, 2022 from Florida and Edgehill both have very good fruit set and clean mold free blossoms.

Postby barathr » Sat Jul 16, 2016 9:57 am

barathr
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: 10a
Hi Axel,

You might want to get scionwood of Paul Thompson's selections -- especially
T-1 and Thompson. They were selected very close to your place and win taste tests even against top Indian and Florida cultivars.

Postby eddiemunoz007 » Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:46 pm

eddiemunoz007

Axel wrote:In addition to Keitt, glenn and ataulfo, I grow several trees of both antonio and pineapple. So far, there's a pretty stark contrast between the tropical mangoes and the mangoes bred for California. All of Tim Thompson's trees have had much more robust blooms that show ZERO sign of anthracnose. No matter what hit those blooms, they remained looking perfect. The fruit set on all the mangoes is about the same, but on the tropical mangoes any unfertilized bloom turns black. On the California mangoes, the blooms just eventually fall off.

It's clear that these mangoes were selected to thrive in Southern California's conditions. That alone makes them worth trying to grow. They should be much more reliable producers even if they don't have any special hardiness.

Hi there,

How are your Tim Thompson mangoes doing in Fallbrook?

How cold can it get there in winter?

I am in Lake Elsinore, Ca.

I have 10 trees, 5 varieties from Tim Thompson.

Eddie

Postby barathr » Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:04 pm

barathr
Cloudforest Expert

Do you know what is going on with Tim? I got half of my order of 10 trees from him a year ago (I had to pick them up) and have been trying to arrange to get the rest and he doesn't reply to calls or emails. I don't care if he renegs on the delivery I paid for, but I'd least like to get the trees...

Postby konan99 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:58 pm

konan99

Climate Zone: Sunset zone 15
barathr wrote:Do you know what is going on with Tim? I got half of my order of 10 trees from him a year ago (I had to pick them up) and have been trying to arrange to get the rest and he doesn't reply to calls or emails. I don't care if he renegs on the delivery I paid for, but I'd least like to get the trees...

I have the same issue with Tim and I only got one tree... Called and emailed many times and not a single response... I still got that one hole dug last year on a good sunny spot waiting for his mango....

Postby RobertS » Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:57 am

RobertS
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: Sunset zone 17
barathr wrote:Do you know what is going on with Tim? I got half of my order of 10 trees from him a year ago (I had to pick them up) and have been trying to arrange to get the rest and he doesn't reply to calls or emails. I don't care if he renegs on the delivery I paid for, but I'd least like to get the trees...

Barath, it took a letter from a Lawyer for our Chapter to get our money back!!
best of luck getting some kind of satisfaction !

Next

Return to Rare Fruits, Edibles and Permaculture with a focus on tropicals

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:41 am. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login