• facebook
  • myspace
  • reddit
  • stumble
  • twitter
  • rss
  • bookmark
  • email

A forum for growing rare fruits, edibles and Permaculture with a focus on tropicals.

Go in on an order for specialty California strawberries?

Postby Richard_Primbs » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:57 pm

Richard_Primbs

Climate Zone: 10
As you guys in Southern California probably know the strawberry varieties, at the nurseries and in the seed catalogs, are not the varieties that the commercial growers grow. They grow varieties that are bred for our climate and the disease resistance to grow here. Lassen Canyon Nursery sells these varieties to growers -- and residential -- but they sell in volume.

I'd like to buy the day neutral variety "Sweet Ann", and the short day variety "Merced". The smallest quantity I can buy is 100 of each, but I only want about 16 of each because I want to grow them in a 4 x 8 raised "wicking bed" (self-watering) filled with a special mix.

Is anybody interested in going in on an order with me?

Re: Go in on an order for specialty California strawberries?

Postby Richard_Primbs » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:01 pm

Richard_Primbs

I am in Escondido California. And 100 plants of each variety cost $45.

Postby mmorozov » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:46 pm

mmorozov

Climate Zone: Sunset 21, USDA 10a
I could split the order with you. Why are you going with these varieties in particular?

Postby Richard_Primbs » Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:58 am

Richard_Primbs

I haven't had very good luck with growing strawberries here and I stumbled on "Strawberry Plants .org". I read an article about "Mojave" and "Benicia" strawberry plants ( http://strawberryplants.org/2010/06/ben ... ry-plants/ ) and that led me to the Lassen Canyon Nursery website ( http://lassencanyonnursery.com/ ). I realized that maybe I was trying to grow the wrong strawberry varieties.

I'm interest in "Sweet Ann" because it is described as:

"A vigorous plant with high productivity and exceptional flavor. Sweet Ann offers an excellent disease resistant profile which is conducive to the success for the organic growers, which does require larger plant spacing due to its erect growth pattern. A spacing of 13-15 inches is ideal. Fruit quality is large, semi firm, with an old fashion strawberry sweet flavor."

"San Andreas" and "Portola" also sound good. I've tried "Albion", and "Seascape" but I never got very much fruit from either. I'm leaning towards "Sweet Ann" because it is a little softer strawberry.

Of the short-day strawberries "Merced" sounds the best to me:

"Merced’ is a short-day (June bearing) type cultivar that produces fruit over an extended period when treated appropriately in arid, sub-tropical climates. When treated with appropriate planting regimes, ‘Merced’ is similar to ‘Camarosa’, but with greater productivity, higher quality fruit, less vigorous plant, and lighter colored fruit. It is also similar to ‘Ventana’ and ‘Benicia’ but having a more compact plant, later fruiting, superior fruit quality, and firmer, better flavored fruit."

Postby Richard_Primbs » Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:11 am

Richard_Primbs

Michael,

I've decided to save my money and try the new varieties next year. I'm going to just go with the Eclairs this year.

Return to Rare Fruits, Edibles and Permaculture with a focus on tropicals

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:59 pm. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login