• facebook
  • myspace
  • reddit
  • stumble
  • twitter
  • rss
  • bookmark
  • email

A forum for growing fruits and rare tropical and temperate fruits, and tending our orchards

peach tree curl

Postby randa » Thu May 26, 2011 11:53 am

randa

Climate Zone: sunset zone 17
Is there anything you can do for peach curl once the tree has budded? My trees were fine in the fall, but are now hit hard. I know to spray dormant oil in the fall and winter, but as bad as they are, I don't want to wait that long if there is anything useful to do. Thanks!

Re: peach tree curl...the cure

Postby Ed of Somis » Thu May 26, 2011 2:38 pm

Ed of Somis
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: Sunset zone 21
R...The dreaded peach leaf curl is a very frustrating problem for those of us close to the ocean (damp). It is not a death sentence, however. There are no effective sprays during the growing season. Next winter (dormant)... spray the tree to runoff twice (a month apart). The second time is just when the buds begin to swell in Spring. The best cure for me is lime/sulfur. It is now banned in Calif. I ended up getting two bottles in Arizona....while staying at Laughlin, Nev. It is great! The next cure in line would be copper, for me. Some folks here tout teas and natural means. Keep in mind...this is a fungal type disease. Oil is NOT your answer. goodluck

Re: peach tree curl

Postby Axel » Thu May 26, 2011 9:33 pm

Axel
Site Admin

Climate Zone: sunset 15/USDA 9b
Randa, Ed is right, once you got peach curl, no amount of spraying will get rid of it because the infection occurs inside the buds when the buds swell.

It will eventually clear up as the weather warms. Right now, the unusually cool and wet Spring is providing ideal growth conditions for the peach curl.

Ed, lime sulfur is not banned in California, it's just no longer sold to the general public because apparently, it's an ingredient in a recipe to commit suicide, and in the last few years, there have been a rise in these types of suicides. I am not going to state here how people do it because I don't want to contribute to the problem,, and please do not repost it here either if you find it written up elsewhere.

Polysul, which was one of the lime sulfur product on the market sold to the general public was voluntarily taken off the market apparently because of the suicide problem.

You can still buy it as a grower, but you have to buy it in larger quantities. This reduces the likelihood of it getting used in suicides.

Postby Brian » Thu May 26, 2011 11:09 pm

Brian
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: 9ish
Just curious, but what are the more resistant varieties? I'm about ready to give up on my peach. Also the necterine ot hit hard this year.

California Curl Free?

Postby norcalblacktail » Fri May 27, 2011 8:12 am

norcalblacktail

Climate Zone: Sunset Zone 16
We have had good success this year with Indian Free and Q-1-8. Muir and Oregon Curl are supposed to do well too.

Postby sautesmom » Fri May 27, 2011 9:11 pm

sautesmom
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: Sacramento
My Frost and Q-1-8 both got NO curl this year, when every other tree/variety is covered with diseased leaves. Flordaprince is my #1 most affected.
Carla in Sac

Postby Brian » Sat May 28, 2011 12:14 am

Brian
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: 9ish
I think I will graft over with the suggestions people are saying.

Postby Axel » Sat May 28, 2011 10:06 pm

Axel
Site Admin

Climate Zone: sunset 15/USDA 9b
I have about twenty different peach varieties over about a dozen trees, and I have little or no peach curl. It took only 20 minutes to spray them all, and I sprayed once right before the first rains that followed the January heat spell we had. Over that many trees, I only have maybe less than 1% peach curl infection.

It's not hard to do, so I really would recommend people didnt just give up on their current peach varieties. Spraying takes no time at all, and makes an amazing difference.

Postby norcalblacktail » Sun May 29, 2011 1:57 pm

norcalblacktail

Climate Zone: Sunset Zone 16
Thats very true Axel. Every tree I sprayed this year is doing fine with no curl. My buddy sprayed his before I did and he has it like crazy on every tree. Not sure what we did different besides the timeframe. His nectaplum never lost its leaves and may have help spread it season long.

Postby DavidLJ48 » Sun May 29, 2011 3:58 pm

DavidLJ48
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: Sunset Zone 14, USDA zone 9b
I dormant spray with 1/2 oz of Tea Tree Oil, per gallon of premixed solution, a couple weeks before pink bud, normally no curl at all, or on the worst springs, not very much at all.

David
Sunset zone 14, USDA zone 9b

Return to Fruits, Rare Fruits, Orchards and Exotics

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:18 am. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login