• facebook
  • myspace
  • reddit
  • stumble
  • twitter
  • rss
  • bookmark
  • email

A forum for growing rare fruits, edibles and Permaculture with a focus on tropicals.

Pollination Question

Postby macmanmatty » Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:11 pm

macmanmatty

Climate Zone: 8b
Will a flavor king pluot pollinate a spring satin plumcot tree? If not What would be the best pollinators for each of these?

Re: Pollination Question

Postby Axel » Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:46 pm

Axel
Site Admin

Climate Zone: 12b/H2 & 10b/S23
If they bloom close together you should be fine. So it depends on your climates. Flavor king blooms very early for me, so it tends to cross pollinate best with my early apricots. I don't know when satin plumcot blooms.
Tropical gardening in both Kaua'i windward Sunset H2/USDA 12b and Fallbrook Sunset 23/USDA 10b.

Re: Pollination Question

Postby DavidLJ48 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:12 am

DavidLJ48
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: Sunset Zone 14, USDA zone 9b
A little FYI,

I have flavor Queen, and it was pollinating great, then suddenly no fruit. Even though I have a Santa Rosa for pollination. When I accidentally let my Dapple Dandy regrow, my fruit came back; I whacked it off, did not like the fruit, as it turned out here. I realized last season, that Santa Rosa was actually too late a bloomer to catch most of the blooms, especially on a wet spring.

Not only did my Flavor Queen resume setting fruit, but also most of my other pluots and plums. I found that Dapple Dandy to be a very good pollinator.
Sunset zone 14, USDA zone 9b

Return to Rare Fruits, Edibles and Permaculture with a focus on tropicals

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:54 am. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login