• facebook
  • myspace
  • reddit
  • stumble
  • twitter
  • rss
  • bookmark
  • email

A forum for growing rare fruits, edibles and Permaculture with a focus on tropicals.

Pruning Psidium for Structurally Sound Regrowth?

Postby Spidra » Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:54 pm

Spidra

Climate Zone: 10a
I planted a Psidium cattleyanum when I was 14, many years ago. It grew to nearly 2 stories tall and this year the crop was heavy enough first to bend it and then to break it. Instead of breaking off entirely, a large branch or two split down the middle.

While it's not our favorite tree (it was mislabeled as a regular strawberry guava and is a yellow variety instead, for one), it provides some needed shade to the house. Starting with another fruit tree would likely take years to catch up. Its root system is already established and that's another plus given how different the climate is now from the one of the '70s.

My worry is how to find someone who knows what they're doing to prune it back appropriately. If we just saw it below the tear, I'm afraid the new growth might be very superficially coming from the surface and will be easy to tear out again. Should I be bark grafting? Or is it a loss?

We're located in the Pasadena area. Anyone know anyone out this way who knows their Psidium tree physiology? Photos of the bend/tear on my Twitter:

https://twitter.com/may_gun/status/901143147622707201

Re: Pruning Psidium for Structurally Sound Regrowth?

Postby Spidra » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:57 pm

Spidra

Climate Zone: 10a
Something of a moot point now. My parents wouldn't wait for more informed advice and their yardeners chopped some of it off.

Re: Pruning Psidium for Structurally Sound Regrowth?

Postby RobertS » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:16 pm

RobertS
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: Sunset zone 17
Spidra, don't worry they are very hardy plants in six months you'll have a nice big bush!!

Return to Rare Fruits, Edibles and Permaculture with a focus on tropicals

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:12 pm. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login