• facebook
  • myspace
  • reddit
  • stumble
  • twitter
  • rss
  • bookmark
  • email

A forum for growing fruits and rare tropical and temperate fruits, and tending our orchards

Rare Avocado Trees

Postby kingoceanos » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:46 am

kingoceanos

Climate Zone: USDA Zone 8B
Hi all. I live in Texas and I'm looking for the best tasting avocados I can find. I've read way too many things stating some are watery , not enough oil content etc. The Bonny Doon apparently got rave reviews on taste, so I would like to get one. Does anyone know of a source that will ship one to me in Texas? The only source I've seen so far is for California only. I would be interested in other varieties as well but over all taste is the most important factor.

Re: Rare Avocado Trees

Postby Axel » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:26 pm

Axel
Site Admin

Climate Zone: sunset 15/USDA 9b
Most of the California varieties will not grow well for you in Texas, you have completely different conditions and you need to look up those varieties that do well in the Southeast, including Florida. For starters, most of the California varieties have little chance to survive the zone 8b Texas climate, and if you're in zone 9a and 9b, that means you are so close to the Gulf that you need to consider Florida varieties.

Bonny Doon will definitely not survive in Texas and will do horrible near the milder Gulf coast.

Postby kingoceanos » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:51 pm

kingoceanos

Hi! thanks for replying. I guess I should have stated the fact that I go to extremes to succeed with plants. I have lots of citrus trees already, for which I have made frames and covers to protect them from our occasional freezes, I also use floodlights under them when there are hard freezes. I do have a couple of avocado trees already, (Bacon, Little Caddo) That have done well and currently have about a dozen baby avocados on them they were also covered during the freezes and supplied with flood lights. I think I could succeed if I can find a supplier. I guess the main reason I'm looking for this variety is because of the reported excellent flavor.
Again thank you! :)

Postby Axel » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:24 pm

Axel
Site Admin

Climate Zone: sunset 15/USDA 9b
I won't discourage anyone from pushing the boundaries on plants, I do the same.

I still think you are better off with Mexican style avocados. Bonny Doon is a Guatamalan x Mexican Hass-type, meaning it's tender and will get frost damage.

You should contact Epicenter Nursery, they propagate trees. See if you can talk them into shipping you one.

Postby Ed of Somis » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:07 pm

Ed of Somis
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: Sunset zone 21
K...as A said...get one suited for your situation. Avocados do well in large pots (for several years). Sounds like you are not afraid of hard work to help them succeed. Pick one that you will enjoy eating. The two you have are shaky in my opinion (I have Bacon). http://www.ocfruit.com/files/Avocados.htm http://ucavo.ucr.edu/AvocadoVarieties/V ... chor-47857
Hope this helps...

Postby kingoceanos » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:19 pm

kingoceanos

Thanks for all the help! I will send a e-mail to the Epicenter Nursery and cross my fingers! I figure if you're going to put out the effort, you may as well try to get the best tasting avocados possible.
Thanks again :D

Postby DavidLJ48 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:12 pm

DavidLJ48
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: Sunset Zone 14, USDA zone 9b
There is a local nursery in Houston Texas that has collected and does collect wood and produces grafted avocado trees for sale, from avocado trees that do well in the warmer areas of Texas. Of course in some ways, that is misleading, the Southern side of Houston is warmer then where I live, and King palms grow nicely there, as well as decent tasting Hass seedlings, and some winters, bananas never loose their leaves.

Anyway, the nursery there, has gone out and collected wood and produces avocado trees, that can take down to the high S and below. I only wish I had the resource from my last computer which crashed.

I started a search and found this you tube film, a guy drops by the RCW Nursery. The avocado portion is at the end of the film, he talks a lot, but is informative. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2LYOk_F_Fs

This seems to the nursery I was thinking about, even if I don't remember the nursery name. Of note, hardy Mexican Avocados that are hardy down to the low 20s, can often take down much lower, with only leaf or minor new growth damage. I have seen some Mexican vars and those crossed with Guatemalan take down to 15F, with only kill on 1/4 to 1/2 inch green skinned wood. Not something a tree can take every winter and still produce fruit, but no big deal if it happens from time to time.. My Bacon, that is rated for like 24 or 26F, in 2007 took down to 21.5F preceded by 14 plus hours below 32F. And then, the only damage was leaf total leaf loss in a couple weeks or more. No wood damage and it came out and set blooms and fruit that spring.

I find the water avocados get that way when oil content is not high, and the cold of winter seems sweeten them up. Mexican Avocados that mature fruit in fall and early winter, are just fine, great taste; Mexican avocados often have some of the highest oil content. The guy on the film is correct, highest cold hardiness is only achieved with size and age of your tree; it does not take too long or great size.

I searched their on line site, but could find no avocado tree listings, some nurseries don't list everything, or they are out now.

I did find this site listing with info and avocado varieties they carried, for 2011-2012.
http://www.rcwnurseries.com/data/stories_rcw/other/37_avocado_2011-2012.pdf They do not ship and you may have to call for a current list or find out if they have any.

RCW Nurseries, Inc.
2011 – 2012
Avocado List
15809 Tomball Parkway Page 1 of 2
Houston, TX 77086
281-440-5161
Sunset zone 14, USDA zone 9b

Postby kingoceanos » Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:38 pm

kingoceanos

Thanks! Since I'm local I'll give them a call and see what they have. Seems kind of funny around here this year. Most of the local nurseries are carrying few if any avocado trees, but were loaded last year? Maybe they think the market needs a rest to build up demand?
Any way thanks again and I will check out RCW Nurseries,

Postby DavidLJ48 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:07 pm

DavidLJ48
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: Sunset Zone 14, USDA zone 9b
They could be taking a break. As I said, not sure if this is the one I was thinking about, but it seems it might be. The one I was thinking about had the varieties that this one does, they were doing their own grafting of hardy rootstock, or were the last I heard.

They might not have many, so are not listed. I have found that many on line nurseries, if their stock gets too low, they don't list them, but if you ask, and they have some, they will normally sell them. I have gotten some plants by asking if they had any. I have a few times found where someone on a plant chat site got some a year or few before, but found found none listed, emailing or calling helped save the day; one time I found out, when they would have some, and was ready ot order when they would have some.

David

kingoceanos wrote:Thanks! Since I'm local I'll give them a call and see what they have. Seems kind of funny around here this year. Most of the local nurseries are carrying few if any avocado trees, but were loaded last year? Maybe they think the market needs a rest to build up demand?
Any way thanks again and I will check out RCW Nurseries,
Sunset zone 14, USDA zone 9b

Postby kingoceanos » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:29 am

kingoceanos

Hi. I called RCW today. there stock is low but the lady I spoke with told me to call back tomorrow and talk with the boss. It seems they only carry trees produced in the valley, but I'm hoping they might be able to get me what I wanted.
Thanks Again

Next

Return to Fruits, Rare Fruits, Orchards and Exotics

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:33 pm. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login