• facebook
  • myspace
  • reddit
  • stumble
  • twitter
  • rss
  • bookmark
  • email

A forum for growing fruits and rare tropical and temperate fruits, and tending our orchards

Red Colored Walnuts

Postby Axel » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:58 pm

Axel
Site Admin

Climate Zone: sunset 15/USDA 9b
Today, I got to listen to Todd Kennedy give a talk about wonderful and interesting obscure fruits. This was the first time that I got to see and taste red colored walnuts.

Todd mentioned two varieties. One is a recently UC Davis patented variety called Juglans regia, `Robert Livermore`, a large sized red colored walnut suitable for commercial cultivation. But the red kernel color has been around for a while. He also mentioned a French variety called 'Rouge de la donan'. I was not able to find anything in GRIN on this one, but I did find a reference online from the French Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique that states the actual name is Geisenheim 1239, and the Walnut is actually from Germany. (See http://www.fao.org/docrep/007/y5704e/y5704e0a.htm.)

The German reviews of this walnut are not all that impressive. For example, a couple of Swiss authors, P. Rusterholz und W. Zbinden reviewed this nut in the Swiss publication Kulturgut Nussbaum:

"Rotkernige Sorte. Mittelfrüh bis früh austreibend, mit spätfrostbedingtem Ertragsausfall 1991. Mittlere Krankheitsanfälligkeit. Bis anhin eher geringe Erträge mit leichten Früchten. Wenig Aroma. Der rote Kern wirkt sehr dekorativ."

Properly translated, this is basically saying that it's a very decorative walnut but has little flavor and is a shy bearer.

If you insist on a red kernel walnut, then I did find one in GRIN called DJUG 418: Red Zinger.

Here is a picture of the ones that Todd brought to the meeting to taste:

I don't have rooms for Walnuts, so I probably won't grow one. I found the red walnut in the picture above to taste rather astringent, so it's really not a choice walnut should you consider one based on taste alone. But this is definitely a novel walnut based on it's appearance.

Most walnuts leave many people with canker sores in their mouths. There is one variety Tood mentioned that is essentially hypo-allergenic, and doesn't produce canker sores. It's called Meyllannaise.

I will try to post a photo essay on today's CRFG event where Todd was speaking.

Re: Red Colored Walnuts

Postby harveyc » Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:46 pm

harveyc
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: USDA9b Sunset14
I planted a Livermore walnut tree about 7-8 years ago. Lucienne Grunder from David's chapter was selling the trees and grew some of these commercially (she had 300 acres of walnuts, mostly of the Tulare cultivar). I've never got a single nut off of it despite it being a very large tree. The past two seasons I thought it was finally producing nuts but they dropped off when a little over half the size I'd expect for a normal walnut and they didn't seem to have any meat in them. I don't notice any catkins ever formed on the tree and even the female flowers are so scarce I've never noticed them until the fall. I've got a Chandler walnut that produces nice large crops every year. I don't know what the heck is wrong with this thing. I need to speak to someone at Davis about it. I bought a pound of these shelled nuts from Lucienne at the same time and didn't notice them to be astringent. The best thing about them in my mind is to toss in something like a spinach salad as they are very attractive. The ones I bought from Lucienne looked much nicer than the one in the photo above.

Postby DavidLJ48 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:34 am

DavidLJ48
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: Sunset Zone 14, USDA zone 9b
A few plus years before Lucienne Grunder sold or etc her orchard, we held a grafting class there, our teacher, her main grafter and etc. Also at lunch time, we were served varied walnuts of many colors, that she had growing there. There were blonds,blacks, tans, browns, reds and etc, I found that the colored ones, all had a very delicate different taste, compared to the regular ones we are used to.

I did not find the red ones bitter, but wish now I could remember which one was the most bitter and which one the sweetest. Seems like the sweetest one was a dark brownish red or a dark one, almost black. ?????

Anyway, after growing up with the common walnut in the San Joaquin Valley, had no idea, there were others then the plan blonde tan ones. Like many us, we never discover what variety of fruit there is to eat, until we joint the CRFG.

David
Sunset zone 14, USDA zone 9b

Postby mitschurin » Thu May 30, 2013 2:59 am

mitschurin

Climate Zone: USDA 6b
Dear DavidLJ48,
I would be very interested in some more informations about the red/ reddish walnut-types that grow in the US, in Europe, there are several cultivars bearing red nuts, originating in Austria, Germany, Czech Republic...I am doing some research at the moment to make an inventory of red walnut types, and I do not know much about US-american cultivars so far...I just found out, that there is
-Robert Livermore
-Yolo Red
-Red Zinger
-Juglans regia purpurea http://www.ars-grin.gov/cgi-bin/npgs/ac ... pl?1564544

So do you know more names or sources for informations about red walnuts?
Or anyone else?

Kind regards from Austria,
i

Postby DavidLJ48 » Thu May 30, 2013 9:25 pm

DavidLJ48
Cloudforest Expert

The ones I saw some years ago, in this area were collected by a older lady with the last name of Grunder, she immigrated I think from Europe. She was collecting and researching Chestnut and walnut varieties, the red color walnuts came from Europe, pretty much all of what she had, was from Europe and I think the Mediterranean area.

David

mitschurin wrote:Dear DavidLJ48,
I would be very interested in some more informations about the red/ reddish walnut-types that grow in the US, in Europe, there are several cultivars bearing red nuts, originating in Austria, Germany, Czech Republic...I am doing some research at the moment to make an inventory of red walnut types, and I do not know much about US-american cultivars so far...I just found out, that there is
-Robert Livermore
-Yolo Red
-Red Zinger
-Juglans regia purpurea http://www.ars-grin.gov/cgi-bin/npgs/ac ... pl?1564544

So do you know more names or sources for informations about red walnuts?
Or anyone else?

Kind regards from Austria,
i

Postby mitschurin » Thu May 30, 2013 9:37 pm

mitschurin

Thank you, David, for your answer and the informations.

Here you can see pictures of some different red walnut types in Austria:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/frutticetum/

I read, that there is also a red kernel Juglans nigra: "Deming Purple". Does anyone knows this cultivar? Is ist really red inside the nut? Or is it just red leaved?

Postby DavidLJ48 » Thu May 30, 2013 9:53 pm

DavidLJ48
Cloudforest Expert

Our California Rare Fruit Growers chapter group had a grafting lesson and session at the orchard some years ago. At lunch time, we got to sample the walnuts they grew. The red, blacks and various shades of blond to brown, the color was only in the skin. What did vary was the level of bitterness or lack there of, and the sweetness or lack of and the basic walnut taste.

David

mitschurin wrote:Thank you, David, for your answer and the informations.

Here you can see pictures of some different red walnut types in Austria:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/frutticetum/

I read, that there is also a red kernel Juglans nigra: "Deming Purple". Does anyone knows this cultivar? Is ist really red inside the nut? Or is it just red leaved?

Postby mitschurin » Thu May 30, 2013 10:28 pm

mitschurin

Of course the color is only in the skin, not in the "nutmeat" itself! Black ones? Really black skinned English Walnuts (Juglans regia)? Or Juglans nigra?
VERY interesting,I did not know about these!

Postby PersianMD2Orchard » Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:46 pm

PersianMD2Orchard

Climate Zone: Zone 7a
A friend tasted some of these reds and urged me to grow em. He said they were outstanding, no mention of astrigency. I never had any though. I recently had one expensive batch of walnuts though in the motherland that were truly the best I've ever had--all those that sampled agreed. It wasn't red skinned.

Return to Fruits, Rare Fruits, Orchards and Exotics

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:31 am. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login