• facebook
  • myspace
  • reddit
  • stumble
  • twitter
  • rss
  • bookmark
  • email

A forum for growing rare fruits, edibles and Permaculture with a focus on tropicals.

Re: Roll Call for Urban Homesteaders

Postby Riglpo » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:42 pm

Riglpo

Climate Zone: 9B
RodneyS wrote:I was browsing online sites in regards to raising tilapia/catfish in an above-ground pool. Don't know what will come of that.

Which worms do you use for vermiculture?

Thanks for the welcome Rodney! I'm using Eisenia foetida as I got them from a friend's setup. I must have 8,000 or so now. It hard to keep up with them honestly.

Raising Tilapia in an Aquaponics system is a great idea. I have friends who have setups but theirs are very energy dependent, which is a conflict of interest for me, e.g. power goes out = not so independent/sustainable. I've been thinking about incorporating them into my ecosystem for a while now, especially now that I will have pond. I would love to see if anyone here is raising them in a less energy intensive fashion; water filtering plants, azolla for feed, maybe a solar pump, etc.

Postby RodneyS » Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:37 pm

RodneyS
Cloudforest Guru

Climate Zone: USDA Zone 11a
[/quote]

Thanks for the welcome Rodney! I'm using Eisenia foetida as I got them from a friend's setup. I must have 8,000 or so now. It hard to keep up with them honestly.

quote]

I have some Euro's (Eisenia Hortensis) & they look like monsters compared to Eisenia Foetida. I'm assuming that since they're bigger, they make castings faster. Definitely better-sized for catfishing/bassin etc.

Postby nullzero » Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:40 pm

nullzero
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: Sunset Zone 21
Rodney,

Should take some pictures of your Eisenia Hortensis setup. I want to do worm farming eventually when I move.

I want to setup a Aquaponic system eventually with Tilapia and Apple Snails. I like the solar pump idea.

Postby RodneyS » Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:11 am

RodneyS
Cloudforest Guru

Climate Zone: USDA Zone 11a
Here's a pic of a Euro-

The bedding is composed of-
newspaper strips
corrugated cardboard
leaves
coffee filters
tea bags
egg shells
some soil
peat moss
egg crates
drink holders

Postby John S » Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:30 am

John S
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: USDA8
Worm farming is one of those ideas that just makes sense. even if you don't have a real compost bin, worm farming works. It's also great if you make compost tea or leachate. You can also put weeds in there like dandelion that you might not want to put in your compost bin. We make big compost bins, but some people are too lazy, don't have enough plant material or have physical limitations that prevent a full 3x3x3 compost bin, but they can still have a worm box.
John S
PDX OR

Postby Twan » Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:47 pm

Twan
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: 10
For some reasons, my compost bin this last few months has absolutely no worms. I used to have abundance. I don't know why! I have had the same materials, and again, there is no worms. I even picked up some from my raised beds, put them in the compost bin, and they are not even there. Please help! Thanks.

Postby John S » Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:10 pm

John S
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: USDA8
I would check moisture level-wrung out sponge is best amount.

Also, if you make compost optimally with layers of green and brown, it will get hot. Worms might vacate until it cools down. That is good.

I find worms most when they have a job to do: break down material.

Also if there is synthetic fertilizer or herbicide or pesticide, you could kill/damage/drive away worms and smaller life.
John S
PDX OR

Postby Twan » Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:24 pm

Twan
Cloudforest Expert

Thanks for your quick response, John. But I haven't done anything differently for all these years. All the things I put in the bin is scrape from my kitchen, and I did put a very little bit of horse manure that I got from a nearby farm. And I had done that before, yet for the last few months, there has been absolutely no worms. It's a mystery for me :( Well, the weather is warming up, so hopefully they will come back???

Thanks again, John!

Postby Axel » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:10 am

Axel
Site Admin

Climate Zone: 12b/H2 & 10b/S23
I've had that happen as well. There are apparently certain foods the worms don't like. I found out the hard way that citrus waste pretty much ensures the worm will disappear. I now throw my citrus waste directly under the citrus trees as citrus top mulch.

So check what you are throwing into your compost, it does make a difference. And you have to keep moisture levels high. It helps to layer things as John suggests. For example, cardboard layed on top will help worms come to the surface, then dump the next layer of waste on top of that.
Tropical gardening in both Kaua'i windward Sunset H2/USDA 12b and Fallbrook Sunset 23/USDA 10b.

Postby Twan » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:55 am

Twan
Cloudforest Expert

Axel, you have solved the "mystery", yes, I have put citrus waste in the compost bin. Oh well, I learn something new every day, especially from you guys. Thank you so much. I guess I have to start over, dump the whole bin out and start a fresh!!!

PreviousNext

Return to Rare Fruits, Edibles and Permaculture with a focus on tropicals

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:00 pm. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login