• facebook
  • myspace
  • reddit
  • stumble
  • twitter
  • rss
  • bookmark
  • email

A forum for growing rare fruits, edibles and Permaculture with a focus on tropicals.

Re: Seeking rootstock to propagate Bonny Doon avocado

Postby joehewitt » Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:00 pm

joehewitt

Climate Zone: USDA 9b, Sunset 16
Ok, I think my plan is to search local nurseries for the smallest Mexican avocado tree I can find and attempt to graft it over to Bonny Doon. In the mean time I'll grow my own seedlings out for grafting in larger quantities down the line.

Postby joehewitt » Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:37 pm

joehewitt

Another update. I bought a small Mexicola tree from a local nursery and side grafted a Bonny Doon scion onto it. I've never done this before and it's definitely scary but I wanted to do it now before I forget about the idea.

The scion I used had tons of flowers on it (which I knocked off), but the leaf buds were still tucked in there so I think it was a good time of year to graft.

By the way, one of the fruit ripened and it was really really tasty. I would have to agree with Axel's assessment that this is an exceptional avocado. The seed was very small, so that was a nice bonus.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (1006.37 KiB) Viewed 930 times

Postby kingoceanos » Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:29 pm

kingoceanos

Climate Zone: USDA Zone 8B
Good luck, I hope your graft takes. There is nothing like having your first grafted plant take and grow into the tree you want :)

Postby shaneatwell » Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:03 pm

shaneatwell

Climate Zone: USDA 10a, Sunset 23
Thanks Joe!

Postby Smarteapantz » Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:30 am

Smarteapantz

Climate Zone: Sunset Zone 15, USDA Zone 9b
Thanks for posting the pics Joe! I'm in San Jose and have been wanting to take a trip over to Bonny Doon to visit the tree myself, but I wasn't sure when would be the right time to collect scion wood. Knowing that there are scions AND fruit available simultaneously right now is fantastic, because I really wanted to taste it before committing to grow it myself. (I have 2 pencil-size seedlings of Jim Bacon for rootstock ready to graft onto).

Btw, did you simply ask the Vineyard staff for permission first? And were the fruit and scions easily reachable, or would I need to bring a step stool or longer tools? Finally, would you say the fruit is rich, fatty and buttery (because that is what I am looking for!)?

Hopefully, I can fit in a trip to the tree this weekend, so I can share some of the scion wood with other enthusiasts at the upcoming CRFG greenwood scion exchange at Emma Prusch Park the following weekend (4/9 @ 1:00pm).

Good luck with your grafts! (If the side veneer graft doesn't take, definitely try again with a cleft graft. I find that I had the most success with that method).

Cheers! -Sandy

Postby joehewitt » Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:11 pm

joehewitt

I would say the fruit is very buttery. Slightly more rich than a Hass, but I've only tasted two fruits. The skin is thinner than Hass, and I had trouble carving out the flesh without cutting the skin. I've got about 10 more fruits slowly ripening. The first fruit had a tiny seed, the second fruit had a huge seed (photo below).

I needed to bring a pole pruner with me to reach the new growth on the tree. On my first visit I talked to some winery folks, and they didn't seem very protective of the tree or its fruit. They said it usually just falls and makes a mess on the sidewalk. What a travesty!

On my second visit nobody paid any attention to me as I was scoping out the tree with my pole pruner and pulling down lots of wood and fruit.

I was also planning on cutting down some scions on Friday night to bring to the CRFG exchange. You should go for it too, the more the merrier!

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (1.42 MiB) Viewed 761 times

Postby kingoceanos » Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:24 pm

kingoceanos

Climate Zone: USDA Zone 8B
Nice looking photo, if anyone has any extra seeds or the fruit itself I would love to get some :) . I have mine that's in it's first bloom now, but I am not sure if I will get any fruit this time around :? . My graft is only two years old so it might not support any fruit this year.
Thanks P.S. I would be happy to pay for it and I do have a PayPal account :) .

Postby RobertS » Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:49 am

RobertS
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: Sunset zone 17
Joe, your graft looks good only one word of advice you should stretch the buddy tape or para-film and only cover buds with one layer other wise buds have a hard time trying to grow thru tape! I would unwrap a little and rewrap. Best of luck on your baby Bonny Doon scion ;)

Postby Smarteapantz » Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:16 pm

Smarteapantz

Climate Zone: Sunset Zone 15, USDA Zone 9b
Wow, that is one good-looking sliced avocado. Mmmm. lol.

Joe, you should definitely listen to what RobertS said about reworking your parafilm. Gotta give those buds a fighting chance. ;) (I found it helpful to watch youtube videos of different grafting demonstrations, and it helped me get the techniques down more easily).

I may not be able to fit in a visit to the Bonny Doon tree this weekend after all, so it's great to know that you'll be going to the CRFG exchange, too. If one of the avocados are ripe by then (and you can resist from eating it), maybe you could cut it up into samples so the attendees can taste what it's like too! :)

Please save me a scion and an avocado sample, just in case. Also, if you still need another seedling to graft onto, I have one young extra Jim Bacon sprout that is pencil-thick, if you're interested. I can bring it to the exchange, too. :)

Postby joehewitt » Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:12 pm

joehewitt

Thanks for the tip, RobertS. I'll definitely try to re-wrap it.

Sandy, if I have ripe Bonny Doons I'll definitely bring them to the exchange for tasting. I'll bring some unripe ones too. And I would definitely take that Jim Bacon seedling off your hands, thanks!

When I took scions a week ago the buds were already pushing - in fact I couldn't find any that didn't already have inch-long leaves on the tips. 10 days later, I'm sure hoping that all the new leaves haven't already emerged. My understanding is that grafts won't take once that's happened - any advice for me on what to look for when I clip budwood?

PreviousNext

Return to Rare Fruits, Edibles and Permaculture with a focus on tropicals

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:46 am. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login