• facebook
  • myspace
  • reddit
  • stumble
  • twitter
  • rss
  • bookmark
  • email

A forum for growing rare fruits, edibles and Permaculture with a focus on tropicals.

Re: Seeking rootstock to propagate Bonny Doon avocado

Postby Smarteapantz » Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:10 pm

Smarteapantz

Climate Zone: Sunset Zone 15, USDA Zone 9b
I'm still pretty new to grafting, and most of what I learned is from the internet. That being said, the rule of thumb for collecting fruiting scion wood is to get about a 6"-12" segment with swollen (but not sprouted) leaf buds. Most scion collection happens in February (right before spring), when the buds are present but have not yet pushed out. I think budwood can still be found during other times of the year, but just not as abundant.

I tried to collect some scion wood from my neighbor's Fuerte avocado tree last weekend and could barely find any budwood, except from a water sprout that yielded only 3 segments.

On the other hand, I just found this video of a guy "creating budwood" on a mango tree by cutting off the leaves of the section he wanted. 4-5 days later, buds appeared at the leaf nodes and the section was full of carbohydrates, ready to push out new growth -- making it a prime scion for grafting. It was pretty enlightening, and I'm going to try to do that myself this month. Mangoes are also greenwood trees, so I'm hoping this method works for avocados and other greenwoods too.

Part 1: Preparing budwood
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdSCrqglcTc

Part 2: Harvesting the budwood
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sq2Lozt264c

Postby kingoceanos » Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:19 pm

kingoceanos

Climate Zone: USDA Zone 8B
Hi, just a quick shout out to Joe. I am not sure if you got my P.M.s For some reason I was never notified when you sent yours? That's happened before, I'm not sure why though.
Thanks

Postby nateblackmore » Sat May 20, 2017 5:56 pm

nateblackmore

Climate Zone: 10
I've got about 6 or 7 seedling Mexicolas from the giant tree in Menlo Park. Definitely very interested in some scions of the Bonny Doon Avocado for these guys. Would you be interested in sharing the location or some scions? I would definitely ask the owners if it's alright and respect the tree! haha

Postby DavidLJ48 » Sat May 27, 2017 11:34 am

DavidLJ48
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: Sunset Zone 14, USDA zone 9b
Normally any good hardy Mexican seedling will do, the less developed the better, as those like Mexicola, Duke included. I use for my rootstock, a unfinished research cado developed by a previous owner and operator of Dave Wilson Nursery.

I just use a simple modified cleft graft, and Buddy Tape the union and scion wood, then extra wrap the union to better secure it and make sure the union is as pushed together as possible. I found the trick is a developed root system; in a 5 gallon pot or a seedling or tree in the ground; best guarantee for a graft take, 80 to 100%; even the summer.

I use the Dave Wilson seedlings as their fruit flesh does not turn brown when exposed to air and the fruit resist rotting from a skin stab or cut, etc; I think it must have quantities to resist other plant infectious problems, but could be wrong.
Sunset zone 14, USDA zone 9b

Previous

Return to Rare Fruits, Edibles and Permaculture with a focus on tropicals

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:11 pm. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login