• facebook
  • myspace
  • reddit
  • stumble
  • twitter
  • rss
  • bookmark
  • email

A forum for growing rare fruits, edibles and Permaculture with a focus on tropicals.

Seeking rootstock to propagate Bonny Doon avocado

Postby joehewitt » Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:34 pm

joehewitt

Climate Zone: USDA 9b, Sunset 16
I've been wanting my own Bonny Doon avocado tree to plant on my property (which is in Bonny Doon, coincidentally), but Epicenter Nursey remains sold out. I decided to take matters in my own hands and tracked down the mother tree. I was elated to find that it is huge, loaded with fruit, and has more than enough scions to go around (for the tiny number of us who want to propagate fruit trees).

I have never grafted avocados before, so I was unprepared for this. If anyone in the Santa Cruz or SF Bay Area has avocado seedlings appropriate for grafting over, I'd love to hear from you. Happy to pay any price really! I also collected a pile of the fruit (the winery people begged me to) which I can throw into the deal as a thank you.

In the meantime. I'll just try grafting it onto my big Hass tree, but I am really seeking to make many clones of this tree (for fun, not profit).

Re: Seeking rootstock to propagate Bonny Doon avocado

Postby kingoceanos » Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:13 pm

kingoceanos

Climate Zone: USDA Zone 8B
I know the epicenter was using Mexican root stock for theirs originally. I don't know if they still are, but I was fortunate enough to get a forum member to send me some scions two years ago. I couldn't find any root stock that would work either at the time. I wound up keeping the scions in the refrigerator and sprouted some store bought Slimcaddos. Almost as soon as they sprouted I grafted the smallest scion to it and that was the one that took for me. The shoot from the sprout had not even turned green yet when I grafted it. Of course the biggest problem with doing it that way is the newly sprouted shoot is very tender and easy to break. Also the seed kept sending out more shoots that I had to remove to keep the graft as the dominant one. Once the graft healed over I transplanted to a deeper pot with the graft under the soil line and the seed stopped sending up extra shoots. My Bonny Doon is in its first bloom now and I am anxiously awaiting a few fruits :D . Of course that depends on rather or not I can keep the squirrels away from it. For you since you are close to the source at least you can go back for more scions if needed and you can always look for clearance sell avocado trees to graft to.
Good Luck
P.S. The forum member also went to the original tree for scion wood that he sent to me :)

Postby barathr » Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:14 pm

barathr
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: 10a
Joe, I would love to try out some of the fruit -- I've been growing it, but haven't gotten fruit yet.

But in general, maybe it'll do well on its own rootstock? (That is, you could plant the seeds from it and then graft onto them -- you can graft onto your Hass for now to store the variety until the seedlings are ready.)

If not, I've got some seedlings of Duke that are slowly (very slowly) growing in DIY root pruning pots, and recently got a bunch of Bacon fruits from Berkeley Bowl and planted the seeds (they haven't sprouted yet). I've used up all of the Zutano seeds that I had earlier in the year.

Postby marklee » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:57 pm

marklee
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: 10
Barath,

If you can send some scions down then I can graft up some of them for you. I also have some real nice varieties that I am trying this year.

Let me know,

Mark in Chula Vista
Mark Lee

Chula Vista, CA

Postby barathr » Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:04 pm

barathr
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: 10a
Hi Mark,

I'd be happy to send you some scions of it. I actually won't need any more trees of it, at least at the moment -- I'm waiting for my very slow Duke seedlings to grow, and am thinking of doing a bunch of chip buds on them to conserve my scions of various types.

Which new varieties are you trying out right now?

-Barath

Postby RobertS » Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:27 am

RobertS
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: Sunset zone 17
Joe, worst case(or best case) I have grafted scion wood of varieties I had acquired to a tree in ground to hold scions alive until I had rootstock again, in fact I have a 2- Mexicola Grande with multi-graft's and some varieties are doing well. Once they grow you can always go back and cut variety to make tree on own R.S. ;)

Postby kingoceanos » Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:01 pm

kingoceanos

Hi, is there any chance anyone has any photos of the mother tree? If you would be willing to post them that would be great. I would really like to see them, descriptions are great but there's nothing like an actual picture. :)
Thanks

Postby marklee » Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:45 pm

marklee
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: 10
barathr wrote:Hi Mark,

I'd be happy to send you some scions of it. I actually won't need any more trees of it, at least at the moment -- I'm waiting for my very slow Duke seedlings to grow, and am thinking of doing a bunch of chip buds on them to conserve my scions of various types.

Which new varieties are you trying out right now?

-Barath

Hey Thanks Barath,

I've been grafting Julia, Herd, Nishikawa, Hashimoto, Gem, Nowels, Kahala'u, Aravipa, and Frey. What about you?
Mark Lee

Chula Vista, CA

Postby joehewitt » Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:42 pm

joehewitt

Climate Zone: USDA 9b, Sunset 16
kingoceanos wrote:Hi, is there any chance anyone has any photos of the mother tree? If you would be willing to post them that would be great. I would really like to see them, descriptions are great but there's nothing like an actual picture. :)
Thanks

Here you go:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (2.39 MiB) Viewed 1978 times

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (3.37 MiB) Viewed 1978 times

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (1.91 MiB) Viewed 1978 times

Postby kingoceanos » Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:47 pm

kingoceanos

Thank you. I do appreciate the photos :) It really helps to see a physical example and gives me an Idea of it's eventual permanent placement in my yard.

Next

Return to Rare Fruits, Edibles and Permaculture with a focus on tropicals

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:29 am. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login