• facebook
  • myspace
  • reddit
  • stumble
  • twitter
  • rss
  • bookmark
  • email

A forum for growing fruits and rare tropical and temperate fruits, and tending our orchards

"Shangri-La" or "Silk Hope" Mulberry tree to TRADE

Postby Jacob13 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:09 am

Jacob13

Climate Zone: 10
Hello Friends,

I have both a "Shangri-La" and "Silk Hope" Mulberry tree to TRADE. I am looking for a RED Mulberry tree (Morus Rubra). As long as it is good tasting and the fruit has good size, I am not too picky with the variety. The only variety I am NOT interested in is a "Pakistan" Mulberry tree. So if you have a Red Mulberry Tree, you have your choice of either the "Shangri-La" or "Silk Hope" Mulberry tree. Both are Excellent Mulberry Fruit trees. They are approximately 2-3' feet tall and have already Fruited. I have tasted the Fruit and like I said, it is excellent. Please let me know if you are interested, or if maybe you have something else to trade. I am also looking for a "Tropic Pink" Guava tree.

Thanks,

Jacob

Re: "Shangri-La" or "Silk Hope" Mulberry tree to TRADE

Postby RodneyS » Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:38 am

RodneyS
Cloudforest Guru

Climate Zone: USDA Zone 11a
I have a Shangri-La cutting that's broken bud & branching out. It's good to hear that it's excellent tasting. What color is the fruit?

Also, you don't care for the taste of Pakistani mulberry?

Postby Jacob13 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:30 pm

Jacob13

Climate Zone: 10
Hey Rodney,

The Fruit when it is ripe is Jet Black/Purple and super Sweet. As for the Pakistan, I already have that Variety, that is why I am not interested in getting another, that's all.

Thanks,

Jacob

Postby Brian » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:49 pm

Brian
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: 9ish
I've seen Tropic Pink Guava show up at Home Depots around the Bay Area (~$20) so it might be worth checking box stores IF no one comes forward with a trade.

Postby George » Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:00 pm

George
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: ssz 23
The only mulberry I have tasted is a Pakistani White. From a 3' tall tree in my front yard. The tree was in a pot and fruited. After tasting them I knew I wanted more so the tree went into the ground.
It has been said that the darker the Mulberry the better the flavor but if the black mulberries are better they might just be too good for me. These tasted like a combination of cantaloupe and apricot. Sweetness and that flavor balance changed depending on ripeness.
I initially bought the white because I am concerned about the berries falling onto my car. In about 10 years when the tree will start to over-reach my driveway.
My oldest boy was walking out to his car> I picked a mulberry and encouraged him to taste it. He said "I wish I didn't see what it looked like". I don't think he would have that reaction with red or black mulberries.

Postby riverman » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:15 am

riverman

Climate Zone: sunset zone 19
This last weekend I came across a Black Beauty Mulberry they were just ripening , which surprised me since the mulberries that I am familar with fruited in May. The fruit is not large..think small razzberry , but very tasty.

Return to Fruits, Rare Fruits, Orchards and Exotics

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:20 pm. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login