• facebook
  • myspace
  • reddit
  • stumble
  • twitter
  • rss
  • bookmark
  • email

A forum for growing rare fruits, edibles and Permaculture with a focus on tropicals.

Share your fruit tree adventures, am i the only crazy one?

Postby mikefrt1 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:24 pm

mikefrt1

Climate Zone: zone 9
I recently visited Jamaica in January . I landed in the western part of the island and it was in the 80's. My dad's friend has a house in the hills with a ridiculous amount of land there. Long story short i got to his house around 3pm and i was exploring his property till 7pm and i wanted to explore more but it was getting dark. I had the most fun exploring and finding different fruit trees on his land.

In between me finding fruit trees such as soursop (Annona muricata) which was in season or about to be, i found 3 huge ones on the ground that broke off a whole branch from a neighbors yard . I promptly picked em up and headed back to the house for a knife and started to gorge myself (i hadn't tasted one of these since i was 11 yrs old when i migrated to the states).
I continued exploring and found more soursop trees/ bananas/ sugar cane ( which i devoured also)/ guavas /sugar apples (which it seems no one ate because they all were rotted out on the tree/ he had tons of mango trees of which some was bearing already and some wasn't/ Huge, huge avocado trees - which i think some were called Simmons - which is a very big round avocado - these looked to be ready in february and much more

Within that 4 hours i had such a great time exploring/ slipping/falling/ eating appreciating the land with a great view of the ocean/ coast not too far away.
I bet he could grow almost anything up there !
Am i crazy to get excited about this stuff or has anyone else experienced this feeling?

Share your stories

Re: Share your fruit tree adventures, am i the only crazy on

Postby Axel » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:12 pm

Axel
Site Admin

Climate Zone: 12b/H2 & 10b/S23
Why, then I must be crazy too because I experience that in my own garden! I've not had the opportunity to roam a piece of land in the tropics, bu usually gorge myself with delicious tropical fruits whenever I travel. First things first, I find the local farmers markets and buy whatever exotic fruit I can find.

I'll have to dig up some pictures of all the fruits I've eaten in the tropics. I had a great experience in Costa Rica last year with a giant farmer's market in San Jose. They had an amazing selection of tropical fruit. But the farmers markets in Hawaii are the best. I've eaten a lot of delicious fruits there.

Here are some pictures I managed to dig up:

Star Fruit on a Finca in Costa Rica:

Fruit collected at the farmers market in San jose, Costa Rica, see if you can guess what fruit are in the picture.

Doesn't this pool look inviting?

Guavas at the Chatuchak market in Bangkok. These look so delicious!

Herte's what I've found at the Farmer's markets in Hawaii:

Abiu, talk about yummy!

Black Sapote, ate this one in Hilo on the Big Island.

Canistel on Kauai:

Chocolate growing in the Allerton Estate Tropical Botanical Garden on south side of Kauai.

Dwarf Bananas on Kauai:

Guavas

The Farner's market in Hilo:

The "Honest System" on Kauai, take a papaya, leave some money behind, no one is there. This is my favorite farmer's market on the Islands.

Jack Fruit on the big Island

Oh yumm, this papaya is definitely ready for picking!

Look at all those coconuts!!!

Mangoes galore!

A row of papaya trees loaded with plump fruit!

I love tree ripened sapodillas.

Mamey sapote

Soursop, a tropical weed tree.

Surinam cherries all over the ground!

The elusive white pineapple - don't touch, they are not ripe!

OK, the visual fruit orgy is now over... for now. :)
Tropical gardening in both Kaua'i windward Sunset H2/USDA 12b and Fallbrook Sunset 23/USDA 10b.

Postby macmanmatty » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:29 pm

macmanmatty

Climate Zone: 8b
wow those are some nice fruit pictures axel!! They look tasty.

Postby RodneyS » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:51 pm

RodneyS
Cloudforest Guru

Climate Zone: USDA Zone 11a
Costa Rican pic-

My guesses are Cashew Apple, Passionfruit, Mangosteen and I'm not sure of the green ones on the left or the red ones on top

Postby RobertS » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:21 pm

RobertS
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: Sunset zone 17
Nice fruit pic's Axel, my guess on the multi-fruit pic, cashew apple w/nut,mangosteen,tamarillo don't know the others. Allerton sure a nice, ideal spot for growing any thing plus your own little cove wow loved that place.

Postby John S » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:25 pm

John S
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: USDA8
Hey Mike,
Great story. I dream of stuff like that. 16 years ago I was launching off a mountain in Taxco, Mexico in a paraglider. Luckily, I caught some thermals and went up, or else it would have been a long walk from the bottom of the mountain. I eventually found a nice place to land on the top side of the mountain. I landed near a bush, that was very wide. It had green fruit on it. I put it in my mouth and found that they were guavas! Ripe and super yummy. I had no idea what guavas looked like, but I had tasted the candy. They won't grow up here. On my travels through Mexico, I basically ate every fruit I could find. I didn't know what a lot of them were. One I ate was called "frambuesa de las antillas" (Raspberry of the Antilles) and I still don't know what it was. NOr did my friend whose tree it was on. Good though.

I plan to do a lot of that kind of stuff when I retire. Right now I have young kids, a mortgage, a dog, and a demanding career.

The green footballs look like cacao, but I'm not going to be good at guessing.
John S
PDX OR

Postby Ethan » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:04 pm

Ethan
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: 9/9
I spent a week last year hiking the hills of Puerto Rico with 5 other fruit nuts. We visiting various farms with tremendous fruit and flower collections. Every morning we would wake up have a light breakfast and drive to the hills eating nothing but fruit all day then a nice dinner at night. Do the whole thing over again the next day. I saw an add for PR and they showed beautiful beaches and other scenic spots, we saw none of that, dont feel I really missed much though.

My guesses on the fruit, tomarillo, cashew apple, jaboticaba, guava and a nut of some sort (the green thing, pachira?) ?

-Ethan

Postby MoTown » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:09 pm

MoTown

Climate Zone: Sunset Zone 14, USDA Zone 9b
I used to live in Hilo and went to that farmer's market in your picture every week. If you're ever in Hilo again, you may want to head over to Liliuokalani park to check out the enormous mango tree they've got in front of the courthouse. At 60-70 feet wide, it's the biggest I've seen. There are always hungry (or bored) kids throwing sticks up in the tree, trying to knock the mangos loose.

Postby RodneyS » Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:25 pm

RodneyS
Cloudforest Guru

Climate Zone: USDA Zone 11a
Axel,
What are the fruits in the Costa Rican pic?

Postby Stevenmurray2 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:33 am

Stevenmurray2

Climate Zone: 9a, 9b, greenhouse
The fruit in the photo look like Caimito (one of my favorite fruits), cashews, water apple (or cas guava or guava relative), pods look like a malabar chestnut relative or cacao relative. Thats my guess at least.
Steven

Next

Return to Rare Fruits, Edibles and Permaculture with a focus on tropicals

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:45 pm. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login