• facebook
  • myspace
  • reddit
  • stumble
  • twitter
  • rss
  • bookmark
  • email

A forum for growing fruits and rare tropical and temperate fruits, and tending our orchards

Sumo Citrus

Postby Jeff (Woodland) » Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:12 pm

Jeff (Woodland)
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: Sunset 8
So I bought 3 "Sumo" citrus at the Nugget Market today. I was only aware of them because of the discussion about them here on cloud forrest.
They were $3 a pound (on sale).

This is not hype...they are quite good.
High acid and very high BRIX, with a flavor that reminds me both of owari Satsuma and of valencia orange.
I would absoloutly devote space in my small, already over crouded yard to a tree.
Does anyone know where budwood could be found?

Thanks,

Jeff

Re: Sumo Citrus

Postby Ashok » Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:39 pm

Ashok
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: Sunset Zone 14, USDA Zone 9b
For now, no budwood is available. If I recall correctly, CCPP will have budwood available in a few years. (Harvey C. would know more about that.)

The cultivar is polyembryonic, so, if you are lucky enough to buy a fruit containing a seed (which by all accounts are quite rare), you could sprout it and get "true" copies of the mother. (You would have to properly identify and eliminate the zygotic seeding, though.)

I have sometime seen citrus fruit for sale with bits of the stem attached. Sometimes there will be joints with tiny buds/meristematic tissue. It has occurred to me that the skillful grafter might actually be able to use such segments for propagation. (Assuming the tissue has not been totally dessicated or mechanically crushed, of course.) Having said that, all the "Sumo"/"Dekopon" fruits on the market seem to be trimmed and packaged with exceedingly great care, leaving little possibility for dangling stems.

Postby Axel » Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:49 pm

Axel
Site Admin

Climate Zone: sunset 15/USDA 9b
Sumo used to be available from CCPP before they locked it down, and in fact, some people I know have it from the old days, but it's a secret because CCPP seems to have a lot of financial interest involved with this fruit and would probably try to confiscate any wood.

Seeds aren't that rare and a few people also have seedling trees.

Personally, I don't see what the big deal is. I bought a whole case from whole foods last year and ended up giving them all away because none of the fruit even came close to competing with my backyard mandarins. Sumo is designed for an Asian palate tuned to the "Sweet and Sour" combination. The hype will eventually die down, I doubt American consumer demand will ever meet the supply, so prices for the fruit will drop over time.

Postby Jeff (Woodland) » Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:49 am

Jeff (Woodland)
Cloudforest Expert

Thank you both for your replys.

It did occur to me to look for seeds...we will see if I get lucky.
It is easy enough to distinguish the clonals vs the sexualy induced embryo in a citrus seed.

Axel, I hope you are right about the price coming down. They are very good, but I could not immaging my self buying them often at the current prices.

I will be on the look out for wood, as I would like to start a small tree.

Jeff

Postby Jeff (Woodland) » Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:49 am

Jeff (Woodland)
Cloudforest Expert

3 seeds in the one I ate this morning!

Postby harveyc » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:31 pm

harveyc
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: USDA9b Sunset14
I think the ones I had last year were quite good. Not the best I've had, but that's tough to compare store bought to back yard fruit. I had three seeds last year but the two that germinated were albinos and died.

CCPP does not have it. UCR imported it and cleaned it up under contract for commercial growers and were required to destroy it once it was released to their client. If someone got budwood, it wasn't done legally, from what I understand. CCPP did hope to have it available by the end of this year and had obtained it again from a source in Florida and were in the quarantine process when they got word that Florida had obtained it from a Japanese source for evaluation purposes only and they were required to destroy it again. They are still working on trying to get it once again but it looks like it will be a while.

Postby Axel » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:48 am

Axel
Site Admin

Harvey, who told you that? This isn't true. Someone did work with UC to bring it in, but that person abandoned the project. The Southern California real estate folks ended up buying the rights to it. So it was available publicly for a period of time, and there are people who have the wood.

Postby harveyc » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:31 am

harveyc
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: USDA9b Sunset14
Axel, some of my information came from reading David Karp's article at http://articles.latimes.com/2011/feb/17 ... n-20110217 and also from discussions with John Bash of CCPP over the past year. Where did you get your information? If someone else has Dekopon legally, I find it amazing that it hasn't been propagated in the nursery trade as there is great demand for it.

When I went to the Lindcove tasting last January with Kern and chatted with Doron, he mentioned that Gene had tasted Dekopon either there or at Riverside previously and that he had reported it as being pretty good. There was no mention of anyone he knew who had it in their possession, however. If you know of someone who has it, please send me an email as I'd like to see if I could purchase some budwood from them (if not in a quarantine zone).

Postby Axel » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:53 am

Axel
Site Admin

Harvey, the people who have it want to remain private, and don't really want anyone to know they have it. Personally even I don't have it even though I know the people who have it, and I am working with seedlings, and accelerating the maturation process by grafting them onto mature wood. Should be a lot faster this way.

If you have a greenhouse and a good solid rootstock in the ground in the greenhouse, you could get fruiting wood within about three years from seedlings.

Postby So_Cal_Mike » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:57 am

So_Cal_Mike
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: Sunset Zone 21 - USDA Zone 10a
Axel wrote:I am working with seedlings, and accelerating the maturation process by grafting them onto mature wood. Should be a lot faster this way.

That is very interesting... I got one seed this year that I was able to split up into four embryos that sprouted. It would be great to be able to speed up the process.
Sunset Zone: 21 • USDA Zone: 10a • AHS Heat Zone: 6-7

Return to Fruits, Rare Fruits, Orchards and Exotics

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:54 pm. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login