• facebook
  • myspace
  • reddit
  • stumble
  • twitter
  • rss
  • bookmark
  • email

A forum for growing fruits and rare tropical and temperate fruits, and tending our orchards

Sweetcrisp blows away other low chill blueberries

Postby fruitnut » Thu May 05, 2011 3:24 pm

fruitnut
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: 7a
My new favorite blueberry is Sweetcrisp. The yield is moderate but eating quality puts the others to shame; sweeter, crisp, and meaty. Emerald probably has the biggest yield and largest berries. Jewel and Farthing are big yielders as well. Santa Fe is the sweetest after Sweetcrisp but is watery by comparison.

The Sweetcrisp plant is a fast grower. This is one year after planting a twig in a pot in my greenhouse. But all these grow this fast if pushed.

Re: Sweetcrisp blows away other low chill blueberries

Postby Axel » Thu May 05, 2011 7:38 pm

Axel
Site Admin

Climate Zone: sunset 15/USDA 9b
Fruitnut, these look really yummy!

Are these all greenhouse grown? That's quite early for blueberries. Mine are just finishing to bloom. How do you push them?

Postby fruitnut » Thu May 05, 2011 8:01 pm

fruitnut
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: 7a
Axel:

Blueberries grow faster than most people think they can if they are fertilized regularly. I actually had six cultivars and two fertilizer regimes. One was a controlled release fertilizer and the other was a weekly treatment of one tablespoon 21-0-0 per 2.5 gal water from April 2010 until August 2010. Nearly no fertilizer since then. Both grew very well but the weekly ammonium sulfate maybe 20% better.

These plants were outside last summer and in the greenhouse this past winter. Here is a picture of the plants exactly one year before the picture above.

I think Sweetcrisp is a clear step above any other blueberry I've eaten in terms of eating quality.

Postby nullzero » Thu May 05, 2011 8:37 pm

nullzero
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: Sunset Zone 21
Fruitnut,

Nice writeup on the sweetcrisp. I am currently growing Jewel and have been very happy with the large berries and good yield. The bulk of the berries are set to ripe up in 1-2 weeks for me.

Postby Sagan » Fri May 06, 2011 9:38 am

Sagan

Climate Zone: 10B
Nice review and great pics my friend!!

I have a few sweetcrisp cuttings I received a few weeks ago...They are taking their time rooting though, Im glad they are worth the wait...
I also have Misty, Emerald, Sharpblue, Jewel, and Oneil all ripening up fruit

Return to Fruits, Rare Fruits, Orchards and Exotics

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:00 pm. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login