• facebook
  • myspace
  • reddit
  • stumble
  • twitter
  • rss
  • bookmark
  • email

A forum for growing rare fruits, edibles and Permaculture with a focus on tropicals.

Re: That Myrica rubra stuff from a few years back

Postby DavidLJ48 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:03 pm

DavidLJ48
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: Sunset Zone 14, USDA zone 9b
If you just planted them in Sept, you might still have some luck; though as I said, i never had any luck, except Tradewinds Fruits seeds, and only one seed so far; and not sure why them.

The fresh seeds I got from China, where carried back by someone, from freshly eaten fruit. 15 out 20 sprouted. I got right after they got back, but didn't get them put in damp peat moss, in a bag for another couple weeks. They began to sprout mid Nov and finished in Dec.

The person I got the seeds from, planted some seeds months or many months later and some of them sprouted., but not at the high count that I got.

It has been reported that they will still sprout up to a year old, but I am thinking, at what rate, and how were they stored.

The seeds seem to rot easily, so since the high rate of sprout lot, from the fresh seeds, don't soak them, just place them in damp peat moss.

I was in contact with someone in China some years ago, before i got involved in the grafted plant order, I wonder if it was the same one i was emailing; seems like his minimum order was 100 seeds.

David
Sunset zone 14, USDA zone 9b

Postby yeti17 » Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:01 pm

yeti17

Climate Zone: USDA 10A
DavidLJ48 wrote:If you just planted them in Sept, you might still have some luck;

I noticed this today:

Does that look like a yangmei seedling? I'm not positive because I may have gotten tired of waiting and thrown some other seeds in there (I can't remember though).

There are actually two seedlings that look like that (and neither look too healthy- perhaps it got too cold recently).

If it is yangmei, that means I got ~2% germination rate in 6 months! :lol:

Postby cchan » Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:06 pm

cchan
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: 9-10
yeti17 wrote:
DavidLJ48 wrote:If you just planted them in Sept, you might still have some luck;

Does that look like a yangmei seedling?

Yes that looks like it. You can compare it to the ones germinated on an Australian forum below
http://plant.daleysfruit.com.au/l/red-bayberry-9509.jpeg

Postby DavidLJ48 » Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:32 pm

DavidLJ48
Cloudforest Expert

I cannot tell, what it looks like, it has been too long since my came up, and my new one that sprouted, has not broken ground yet, so I wonder now, if it every will. I went and looked for a email, that might have one; found one that someone seen me by email. Seeing these pics, refreshed my memory in how they looked, your pic does look like one, but it is hard to be totally sure, until it emerges a bit more.

Some seem to have more serrated jagged leaves, at least in the juvenile stage, and some have more normally non serrated leaf edges.

You new plants really looks yellow, mine looked really green, at his point, then once a couple inches tall or more, turned the nasty yellow that yours is. They seem to be really picky about soil conditions. My first couple, few seeds all failed, rotted, never sprouted, but my main lot, 25 new seeds, brought over from China, hand carried by one of those in involved the CRFG ordering group, but not a CRFG member. Anyway, 20 seeds sprouted out of 25, but slowly lost them over somewhat less then a year, all turned yellow and died; and anywhere from 2 inches to 4 to 5 inches tall.

They don't seem to like high organic matter soils, just my observation, no one else's. They are not supposed to like either, high potash soils or is it phosphorus. It was frustrating to get so manny to spout, then loose nearly all of them, I only had one that lived in the end, and is still is doing ok. I grow a fair amount of seeds, it seems I lucked out with one, because it was more tolerant to my soil conditions.

I have since planted 3 Myrica cerifera rootstock, to get around any future or possible soil conflicts, and got some seedling wood to graft this season, to see how i do, I know that the Chinese have had success, between these close family plants.

Postby yeti17 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:59 pm

yeti17

I noticed my two little seedlings were in poor shape, so I took a closer look and noticed they were both being eaten by super-tiny caterpillars! So I transplanted them into small pots and brought them inside.

They appear to be doing better now, but the larger one (on the left) was really chewed up. Hopefully the meristem wasn't damaged :-/

Postby DavidLJ48 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:59 pm

DavidLJ48
Cloudforest Expert

I stopped the growing of small important seeds outside, some years ago, for this very reason. But the ones I do grow outside, I grow them on shelves 4 feet off of the ground. A few snails and slugs make it up to the shelves, but take care of them by sprinkling a little Sluggo to take care of them now and then.

For important seeds, I used to have a small heated grow bed, with a light, but now i have 3 shelves, the white wire kind at Home Depot and Lowe's, which mount on vertical supports, on your wall. I went that way, in a small back room, it seem better to me, then the free standing heavy duty shelving racks, you can buy at these places or at Costco.

I have not noticed this before, but the last two seasons, I have had inch worms, normally found on cabbage or such, on my Avocado seedlings and grafted plants, under my polycarbonate plant shade area; never see them do that out in the sun.

David

Postby badman62 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:51 am

badman62
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: 9b
i remember reading about the group getting some from overseas.
i must have read about it after,
but, i did find some seeds on Ebay in China
got the seeds and they looked legit, and healthy
but, no telling until they germinate, or not...

i put them in a pot last week, it was mild outside...
today, its like 90F...
Should i keep them inside ?

Postby DavidLJ48 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:17 am

DavidLJ48
Cloudforest Expert

Fresh seeds are the trick. I have only had sprout able seeds, with seeds hand carried from China, taken from fresh fruit. I was one of others, who was part of those two plant orders; which had about a 100% failure; roots came dead, tops still alive; they don't do well out of the soil for very long. It may be the Chinese side quarantine and fumigation, is also involved.

Postby yeti17 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:59 pm

yeti17

Update from above: The seedling on the left is doing great. As I feared, the one on the right appears to have a damaged meristem, but it is putting on tiny growth; I haven't given up yet!

Oh, pot positions are reversed from the picture I posted above.

Postby DavidLJ48 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:32 pm

DavidLJ48
Cloudforest Expert

mine looked great for a time, then showed leaf yellowing, then leaf burning, like a plant in s high pH soil or way too acid or heavy soil salts; , appeared to be potting soil problems; too much organic matter, and or pH or ??????

out of 20, only 1 survived,

PreviousNext

Return to Rare Fruits, Edibles and Permaculture with a focus on tropicals

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:29 pm. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login